42 Lbs lost with before&after pictures

Options
Hey Folks,

I've been at this for six months now. I though I'd share my experience with you.

My weight had crept up along with my blood pressure over a couple years. I had also been dealing with sleep apnea and chronic low back pain.

My girlfriend and my doctor had been after me to loose the excess weight for some time. I made several aborted attempts. But I just couldn't find the motivation to keep going. The turning point came in April, I found myself sitting in my doctor's at a follow-up appointment that I had been dreading. My doctor had been threatening to put me on blood pressure meds. And I had not done any of the things she told me to do. My doctor told me my BMI was 32.67, which means the I was obese. Hearing the "O" word really got to me. I have always seen myself as an active outdoorsy person.

At that moment, I realized that I was at a crossroads. At age 51 I could continue with my un-healthy ways and end up more and worse chronic conditions that would limit my ability to enjoy the things I love. Or I could adopt a healthier lifestyle that would allow me to be active and enjoy the outdoors late into my life.

So, I started eating more fresh fruit and vegetables and cooking all my own meals, in addition, I started walking 4-5 times a week. Now, I run 4-5 times a week. I've also been hiking 2 to 3 times a month. I even managed to summit Mt. Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast.. And of course, I use MFP to track my calorie intake. Here is the result.

before_after.jpg

I've lost 42 Lbs (35 since joining MFP)
My BMI has dropped from 32.67 to 27.15.
My blood pressure reading are consistently in the normal range (< 120/80)
My cholesterol has dropped from 182 to 174
My HDL (good cholesterol) has risen from 28 to 44

I still have work to do. I need to loose another 20 Lbs to get to a healthy BMI. My chronic back pain has gotten better. But, I'm still having issues. And, I'm hoping I can get off my CPAP when I reach my goal.

I plan to stick with it. I am really looking forward to the winter hiking season.

Replies

• m3dreamer2011
    Options
    Congratulations - that is a wonderful transformation!!!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great achievement.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a motivating story! The change in your BMI is incredible. Thank you for sharing your story, and keep up the great work! :happy:
  • racerchick31
    racerchick31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great Job! You have done a wonderful job getting healthy! :) Thank you for sharing your story!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! You are looking great!!! Keep up the good work!
  • michelle12wbt
    Options
    Well done!!! What a great success story :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS to you!! YAY for better health!
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow - that's fantastic!!!!!! keep on keepin' on!
  • tastewart1964
    Options
    GREAT WORK!! KEEP ON STEPPIN!!!
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    you are doing great - well done - amazing transformation, you look a lot younger and healthier. I bet you feel it too!
  • Shannafo
    Shannafo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Very happy and healthy!!
  • dorilou1969
    Options
    awesome job!
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to my husband and give him some tips! Great work!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Congratulaions on your new healthy lifestyle! Well done!
  • 2012Mich
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • yaymamabear
    Options
    Good for you!!! I love hearing success stories! And you prove that no matter what your age, gender or medical conditions, you can always make a change!! That's awesome!!!
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What can I say? Simply fabulous - good for you and keep up the good work!!!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job changing your habits and health! Way to go!! I am slightly jealous of your NW hiking. :)
  • aredrose017
    aredrose017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wow! good for you ! :)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! Congratulations! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!