Recovering from/preventing soreness

I'm super sore and I've got a trainer session tomorrow that is going to knock me on my *kitten*.
Aside from stretching, what do you guys do to recover from soreness, or prevent soreness? Do you find protein helps? Do you take anything (legal :) for it?

Cheers, and happy health
Erik

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Upping your protein, stretching, lots of fluid and foam rolling.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Upping your protein, stretching, lots of fluid and foam rolling.
    This
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Agree with the above. I have a protein drink as soon as I finish my workout, one scoop of protein powder and glutamine.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    If it is your lower body, compression tights or socks may help. I found that the socks didn't really work for my long running days... but that is just me.

Ice baths may also help. Personally I'm too chicken **** to try it though.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Just my $.02.

Workout to finish the set, not to failure. I rarely experience soreness even though I am lifting heavier than ever before.

Also, try doing warm up sets instead of just static stretching.
  • Glutamine

I use a product called T.A.G, Trans Alanyl Glutamine, its a targeted muscle recovery product. I mix it with water and drink it before and after a session if I am sore....especially if I will be using weights..mine if fruit punch flavor , I have never put it in a smoothy, but I know smoothy king , has the muscle builder with glutamine they can add to a shake.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    an Ice bag and anti-inflammatory
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I like heat. Hot water or heat pad. Helps...a little. : )

But the best thing I have found is to work them again before the soreness completely goes away. For some reason it really helps from getting painfully sore again.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Another session.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    In my case, I take potassium supplements to help with it (but not sure if that's also because I have a deficiency - the symptoms are muscle soreness and twitchyness).
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Another session.
    This^ if I don't feel sore I feel as though I had a very bad lifting session. It actually annoys me if I'm not really sore the next day
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Thanks everyone! I drank extra water last night and had some ibuprophen and some protein powder and it seems like it definitely helped. I was still a bit sore and the session kicked my *kitten*, but made it through.

Good tips - much appreciated. Feel free to add me and hope to be as supportive to you guys...