Twas the Day Before the Race

Options
I would keep up the rhyme but my brain is fried. Anyhow, I am appealing to the MFP community for any tips/recommendations as to what a runner should do/eat the day before a race. For me, I am going to do my first 5k run this Saturday in a Zombie Run (no pressure right?)

Other than assisting in a class and going to work for a few hours, I don't have anything "stressful" planned besides going out for a twenty-minute run or so/a ZR! mission.

Thanks for your input and your time in stopping by to pass on race day wisdom onto this neophyte. :)

Replies

• kayellgee
    Options
    Is it the "Run for your Lives" 5k!? I am running it in November!
    Can I friend you so I can find out how it went?
    Good luck, you'll do great! I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping with the crazy zombies chasing you :wink:
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally would the day before your runs, just don't do any high-protein meals. You'll want slightly more carbs than protein
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I usually take a day off before the race from running. Fresh legs are much better. Otherwise just enjoy yourself. There really isn't anything to prepare for with a 5K and a zombie run isn't like a regular race so you really can't prepare.
  • howlcoyotecody
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input guys!

@kayellgee: Sure! Go ahead and add. I am not sure if it is the "Run for Your Lives" one, but the one i am participating in is most definitely 5k lined with zombies galore! It is a benefit for the Cancer and Lymphoma Society. I am sure your race in November is going to be an awesome time :3
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    take a day or two off from running before the race. eat your normal foods, just avoid anything that messes with your stomach and avoid eating or drinking too much right before the run. congrats on your first 5k!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Is it the "Run for your Lives" 5k!? I am running it in November!
    Can I friend you so I can find out how it went?
    Good luck, you'll do great! I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping with the crazy zombies chasing you :wink:

Ooh I'm doing RFYL in December in TX!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    take a day or two off from running before the race. eat your normal foods, just avoid anything that messes with your stomach and avoid eating or drinking too much right before the run. congrats on your first 5k!

Personally, I'd never take "a day or two off" before a race.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Only advice I'd say is just have fun! I ran my first 5K mud run last Saturday and I was so nervous, but it was so fun! There is a zombie run in okc that I wanted to do tomorrow but I have other stuff going on and can't :/