Going Vegan ?

Options
I know going vegan is a good, healthy way to lose weight. I wanted to give it a shot, so any tips ? What do you think is healthier, meat sub or just all veggies and fruits and such ? Just trying to get some opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• ilove3kids
    Options
    Read "forks over knives" and "engine 2 diet" (typing on phone... So being brief)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think vegans don't eat meat subs. But maybe the rules have changed since I last checked.

And going vegan shouldn't be done purely for weight loss purposes. If you want to, go for it. But its a very difficult change to make. I would say start by reducing meat intake and eventually eliminate it. Stay vegetarian for a while, then go in to veganism.
  • cmwills12
    Options
    Yeah, I wasn't sure either. But thanks for the tip! That's a good idea. I think I'll start there.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I went vegan 8 months ago and tried all the faux meats. Since I loved fried chicken and bacon, I thought I could find a substitute. Boy, was I wrong! The "meats" taste nothing like the real thing, so you'll just be disappointed. Instead, I started focusing on recipes with new grains I'd never tried before - millet, quinoa, etc and lots of veggies and portabellos. I am amazed at how wonderful these "simple" foods could taste! Now the only foods I eat that aren't whole foods are breads and crackers. I'm down 19 pounds in 2 months! Some extremely helpful cookbooks are Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton and the Forks Over Knives Cookbook. Just google "vegan recipes" and you'll be amazed at all the wonderful choices out there! I know I am never turning away from being vegan...and I feel wonderful!
  • nicoleaxe116
    nicoleaxe116 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 5 years.I lost 40 pounds in the first three months. I was also anemic, tired all the time and incredibly fatigued. I ended up underweight. It was difficult and time consuming. That being said, I wasn't exactly the best vegan ever....I basically lived on carrots. If done right, it can be healthy and a wonderful way of life. Doing it right is very difficult.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There is a great book to start you out and it's the Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Eating. I really found it a light, helpful read when I switched over. I watched Forks over Knives and have the Engine 2 Diet book as well. The cook books that I find make it really simple with everyday ingredients are the Happy Herbivore Cookbooks. Check out the Happy Herbivore website too. There is a movie called Vegucated which is about 3 people making the transition that I really liked because it showed other people going through the motions and emotions of going vegan.

I will say when you start out that you really just need to focus on one meal at a time or it can be overwhelming. Some people ease into it by slowly eliminating and some just go cold turkey (or should I say tofu). Decide what is right for you and move forward.

I've been vegan since January and have really come to love it! I feel great and have more energy than I ever did eating meat or dairy.

**Please nobody ask me where I get my protein from. Just do me a favor and google 'vegan protein sources'. :wink:
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been considering going vegetarian. I really don't eat a lot of meat, anyway. But...I LOVE LOVE LOVE my seafood, cheese, yogurt, and eggs. I'm not sure I could give those up.
  • daryabella
    Options
    Going vegan is a great and healthy choice, you just want to make sure that you're getting enough of everything you need- of course, staying balanced is necessary no matter what. You might find that you're eating more carbs than usual but whole wheat, multi-grain, sprouted, etc. are complex carbs and don't get stored as fat right away. Make a lot of your meals at home- sauteed tofu/veggies in low sodium soy sauce with rice or beans are great meals and can be switched up depending on your favorite veggies, etc. Weight loss may not come as easily with being vegan but I don't think that's as important as being healthy.
  • veggiewolf
    veggiewolf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some good points above. It takes some research and dedication to be a healthy vegan...my advice would be to transition slowly as you learn and experiment with different foods. Supplementing vit b12 is essential!
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    And going vegan shouldn't be done purely for weight loss purposes.

I agree with this. If you decide to switch, I actually suggest going all out. You may want to read Skinny B*tch for meal ideas or use the App Veg Kickstart , the App Vegan Express is helpful for finding vegan options at standard chains like burger king, etc.

When making the change mock meats help quite a bit. After you are vegan for a while, your palate will change and you will find other dishes which contain more whole foods to be wonderful. Therefore limiting your mock meat intake .... mock meats are high in sodium so ok every once in a while, but I would not recommend them at every meal.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you want to go whole food vegan, that's possible with a combination of fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and grains. Be sure to take a vitamin B12 supplement, and eat lots of dark greens for calcium and iron. For good advice, read 'Vegan for Life' by Virginia Messina.

If you want to integrate vegan convenience foods, it can make your transition easier, but don't overdo on them. These options are not highly processed: tofu, tempeh, and seitan. Sunshine burgers are a good, simple frozen product. There are many commercial non-dairy milk substitutes, Earth Balance butter substitute, Daiya 'cheese', and loads of processed meat substitutes: Gardein, Field Roast and Tofurky. Some of the following products are also vegan, but you need to check labels: Morningstar, Boca, Yves, Gardenburger, Lightlife and Amy's. Quorn products contain eggs, so they are not vegan.

Another newcomer which is supposed taste just like chicken is Beyond Meat, but isn't widely available yet.
  • cmwills12
    Options
    Thank you every one! I appreciate all the suggestions and advice. (: