Popcorn as a snack?

Options
I've developed a new popcorn snacking habit. I've been buying those 100 calorie microwave bags. *Apparently* the chemicals in them can cause cancer so I've been considering just making my own air-popped popcorn. My main question is, I can have a pretty decent portion of popcorn for 100 calories but is it a wasted 100 calories considering there's little nutritional value? Just looking for thoughts/opinions.

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I think as long as you're eating a pretty decent diet with other healthy foods, popcorn is a great snack. I eat popcorn at least once a week and use the air popper and 1-2 sprays of butter flavored spray, a little salt and pepper.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think popcorn is great—especially if you pop bulk kernels instead of those bags with yucky chemicals. I actually put 1/4 cup in a paper bag, fold the top two times, put upright in the microwave for 3 min until it stops, and voila! :) I don't used butter spray—I just melt a 1/2 tbsp butter and pour it over with a little salt. Last week I used olive oil spray instead and added pepper—tasted just like salt and pepper chips!!!

I think it is a good whole grain snack, and actually has a lot of benefits including antioxidants. Might not be lots of protein, so make sure you're filling that gap with other things. But as far as 100 cal snacks go, it's a good choice!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't see popcorn as little nutritional value. It is satisfying and a good source of fiber.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I've developed a new popcorn snacking habit. I've been buying those 100 calorie microwave bags. *Apparently* the chemicals in them can cause cancer so I've been considering just making my own air-popped popcorn. My main question is, I can have a pretty decent portion of popcorn for 100 calories but is it a wasted 100 calories considering there's little nutritional value? Just looking for thoughts/opinions.

Popcorn has lots of fiber, and you can eat a lot of it for a small amount of calories. It's a good snack.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The cancer thing is inconclusive from what I've heard and read. Some claim it's still an issue and the FDA needs to crack down, some claim consumer's are fine as long as they're not eating a ton of the stuff and especially not inhaling the fumes from the bags. I would either do some more research or, as you said, air pop your own at home.

As long as it's not slathered in butter and salt, popcorn is a great snack and very nutritious. It's whole grain, low calorie and even has antioxidants!

For more flavor, go with spices - pie spice, italian herb blends or even chipotle if you like hot/smoky. Or even sprinkle on some cheese! Yum!
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I think as long as you're eating a pretty decent diet with other healthy foods, popcorn is a great snack. I eat popcorn at least once a week and use the air popper and 1-2 sprays of butter flavored spray, a little salt and pepper.

I think this is a great idea, and recently dug out my hot air popper... who knew we would have a need for those all these years later.. mines been put up for like 10 yrs. lol I use I cannot believe its butter. yum yum
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Other toppings:

garlic salt + rosemary

taco seasoning mix

Personally I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to sprinkle on some Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk seasoning mix
  • DannPM31
    Options
    Most of the general grocery store is GMO corn. I'd seek an certified organic brand and air-pop it.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn with braggs aminos on it--major yum!
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with popcorn! Low cal, lots of fiber, and I recently read it has a lot of antioxidants. I bought through Crate and Barrel a 3 minute air popping machine . It is SO great - uses no oil.
    For toppings I love Nutritional Yeast. Grapeseed oil is so good ( if I have the calories to spare)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm weird and find popcorn tasty with a hot sauce called tapitillo... It's amazing tho lol
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I think popcorn is a great snack! It's filling and fun and feels like a junk food but since it's got so much fiber it can really fill you up. I like to pop mine in a paper bag in the microwave and then add about 1tsp of melted butter, some parmesan cheese, cayenne & chopped garlic to it. Makes it super tasty!
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had 100 calories of popcorn almost every night for the last 8 months and have still lost 47 lbs. I used to buy the bags but then I found an air popper at a thrift store for $499 and started using it! I also use a small amount of real butter if I have the calories to spare and if I don't, I use the ICBINB spray.

How do I get my weight loss ticker to show up here?
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering the same thing.tosay snce its easy for me to grab and take to work for my break; good to know!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without popcorn. It is cheap, easy and filling, has lots of fiber and can satisfy the salty, crunchy urges. If I am in my office, I'll throw a bag in the microwave. At home, I air pop it and add a little olive oil spray, fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Yummy!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the effects from diacetyl in the butter flavoring, the studies were showing harmful effects on employees who worked around the fumes for 8 hour shifts. Keeping dosage and context in mind, I really wouldn't worry about the effects of ingesting it in moderation much in the same way that I wouldn't worry about aspartame from my "few cans per week" habit of diet soda.

I would however, suggest not inhaling fake butter for hours on end.
  • Audiejude
    Options
    Go for it, just because it's not high in calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and Iron doesn't mean it isn't high in unlisted nutrients.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. The popcorn is popped on top of the stove in 1 Tbls of coconut oil. When served 1 TBLS of Barlean's virgin Coconut oil to sub for butter. I sprinkle lightly with pink himalayan salt. The Coconut oil is a good source of fat and other nutrients and good for the thyroid and speeding up metabolism. Coconut oil never goes to fat it is used as energy going directly to the liver so I do not count the coconut oil in my calories. You can if you chooose to do so, but I have been told it is not necessary to do so.

The Popcorn does not taste like Coconuts it has a rich buttery flavor. I open up 2 capsules of Natures bounty 2000 mgs of cinnamon/chrominum picanate.(Cinnamon is said to help with weight loss, speeds up metabolism, very healthy spice) Lastly I add a small pkg of nunaturals nu-stevia and shake the bowl. I :heart: this sweet,spicy,salty combination and it is very healthy for me. I can eat a large bowl that is full of fiber and filling. I worry whether my popcorn is GMO and trying to find a organic brand I can buy from Europe. If anyone has a suggestion of organic popcorn please let us know.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I eat a 100% calorie bag almost every night
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm weird and find popcorn tasty with a hot sauce called tapitillo... It's amazing tho lol

lemon and tapatio!!... mmmmmm