How to manually enter food??

Options
Hi...is there a way to enter food with its nutritional values manually? I have a nutritional scale which gives me this information based off of its weight. I am getting frustrated because I want to enter a peach I just ate but the "generic" default for a fresh peach is 67 calories but the peach I just ate based on its weight was 138 calories and all the nutritional information is way off too! Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What I would do is select "Generic Peach", then under the drop down, set it to 1 oz then enter in the number of ounces to what your scale says. Another option is to use a muliplier in serving size to convert it to the number of ounces consumed.

For example, let's say you ate a 5 oz peach.

1. Select "generic peach (XL)"
    2. Under "servings" enter .625 (which is 5/8) of an 8 oz serving size.

Or you can put in 5 as the number of servings and 1 oz as the serving size.
  • shygirl67
    shygirl67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion! I kind of did that...opted for 2 peaches to get the calories but the rest of the nutritional values are off too. I just want to manually put in everything myself but I guess that's not possible????
  • shygirl67
    shygirl67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just did what you recommended with "generic peach" and now I'm gonna do a test with another peach and see how the rest of the nutritional information calculates. Thank you again!!!!!
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Another option is in the "My foods" option. This will allow you to manually enter an item into the database. However, when dealing with fruit that varies (each peach may weigh slightly different), I would recommend against entering it in there as you'll have to re enter it each time you put in a different fruit.

I would go with my first suggestion and find the best approximation you can. If you are off by a little bit, it wont exactly blow up your nutrition plan.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Mathguy1 pretty much answered it, but just FYI, one other option is to use the regular "Add Food" link. Search for what you want to log; if you don't see it, click the link that the bottom of the page where it says, "Can't find what you're looking for? Add a food to the database," and it will take you to the input page.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    After you search, there's the add food option as ZugTheMegasaurus suggested. You can "manually" add a food with the values that match what you're eating. Label it something that will make it easier tell the difference between your entry and the ones that are already in the system.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for basic foods like fruit, try "raw" instead of generic or entering it without either term to find the core MFP entry.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for basic foods like fruit, try "raw" instead of generic or entering it without either term to find the core MFP entry.
    On that note, also make sure you're sorting by "Relevance" rather than "Name." Learned that one the hard way when my boyfriend and I opened an account for him and weren't getting anything similar to mine in the search results.