Grilled cheese help?

Options
So we are giving up all highly processed foods and american cheese has been booted from our diets. I know this seems silly but what other cheeses work well for grilled cheese sandwiches? Ive only ever used american!

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love the way fontina cheese melts. Mixing cheeses in a grilled cheese sandwich is awesome too. Cheddar, swiss, gouda, havarti, fontina, jack... any of those cheeses would be nice. Basically if it's a cheese you like you'll probably like it in a grilled cheese sandwich, hehe :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Any soft cheese will work, but I prefer cheddar.

I make grilled cheese in the toaster oven instead of a greasy pan. Just carefully place the cheese on the two slices of bread (don't overhang the edges so the cheese won't drip onto the heating element) and set the toaster oven on "toast" until the cheese has melted.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any cheese will work. I like swiss, but my husband usually uses extra sharp cheddar. Watch out though, it's easy to go overboard with your cheese servings, especially when slicing from a block. I usually add some greens and a tomato to mine to make it more filling.
  • juleannwakeman
    Options
    I like sharp cheddar best, but muenster melts really nicely. We cheat a bit and get pre-sliced real cheese, for the convenience of american without the processedness.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    muenster and provolone! mm
  • cindeewagner
    Options
    Hungry girl on cooking channel did a slice of fat free american cheese, with laughing cow cheese your choice of flavors, then added roasted red peppers. She lightly sprayed bread with olive oil spray and grilled. Haven't tried yet, but going to.
  • meg1hirschi
    Options
    i love gouda!!!!!!!!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Any soft cheese will work, but I prefer cheddar.

I make grilled cheese in the toaster oven instead of a greasy pan. Just carefully place the cheese on the two slices of bread (don't overhang the edges so the cheese won't drip onto the heating element) and set the toaster oven on "toast" until the cheese has melted.

why not just turn the toaster on its side?
  • Denver_Girl
    Denver_Girl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like my grilled cheese with pepperjack cheese and tomatoes slices!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    cheddar and swiss or provolone.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i love gouda!!!!!!!!

MMMM! SMOKED Gouda!
  • meg1hirschi
    Options
    i love gouda!!!!!!!!

MMMM! SMOKED Gouda!
    that is freakin good too!
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Two slices of Arnold's 100% Whole Wheat Bread, into the toaster.
    Add one slice of Cheddar, microwave for 10-15 seconds.
    Healthy Grilled Cheese!
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love grilled provolone with slices of avocado and tomato.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    So we are giving up all highly processed foods and american cheese has been booted from our diets. I know this seems silly but what other cheeses work well for grilled cheese sandwiches? Ive only ever used american!

You could try a grilled cheese sandwich made with white cheddar and green apples on whole-grain bread. :)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love grilled mild cheddar cheese sandwich with wieght watchers tomato soup, (with 1 Tbls cream)always have sugar free bread and butter stacker pickles with it. This is my favorite lunch.

Thanks to everyone who shared recipes. :flowerforyou:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Muenster!! Stick it in the oven so the bread comes out crispy instead of greasy and buttery and enjoy!!!

You also don't need 2 slices of bread, just throw it on one slice and eat it pizza style.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I love the way fontina cheese melts. Mixing cheeses in a grilled cheese sandwich is awesome too. Cheddar, swiss, gouda, havarti, fontina, jack... any of those cheeses would be nice. Basically if it's a cheese you like you'll probably like it in a grilled cheese sandwich, hehe :)

^^ MmmMmmm...this lady knows cheese!! She's right about creating combos...it makes each sandwich a true adventure!!

I'd also like to add gorgonzola to the list! :bigsmile:
  • blackdiamond912
    blackdiamond912 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    30143600.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods I use a cheese called gouda.......and I also use provolone