low carb high protine (beginner fitness)

Options
so my pt has reccomended i cut my carbs way back and reaally up my protine and fat intake, im only into my second week at gym and not doing to much i go three times a week and do :
6x10 leg lifts (3 sets for each leg)
3x10 compound row (i think at 26lbs)
3x10 vertical press (13lbs)
3x10 diagonal press (13lbs)
3x10 horozontal press (13lbs)
3x10 chin ups (counterweightes so it only wors out at about 8lbs)

i am getting a new fitness program next week to include something for legs and bum, but has anyone else cut carbs? im finding it really difficult.. also what did you start with when you started at gym?
thanks

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to do if it's a major change to your diet!

I found an easy way to start was to halve the carby things I was eating - so 1 slice of toast instead of 2, or 1 potato instead of 2 or 3, a smaller portion of rice or pasta.

Look at your typical day and identify where your big carb intake is, and then find alternatives. If you go for cereal at breakfast, change that to eggs. If you're a sandwich for lunch person, change that to soup or a salad.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to cut your carbs down to? What are you trying to up your fat and protein to? You don't have your diary open either so no way to compare.

As far as what I started with/use, I have myself set to 35% carbs/30% fat/35% protein and I generally come pretty close on a daily basis (you can check my diary).
  • tameemma
    Options
    carbs are my favorite thing to eat, my vice is not sugar its crarbs, bread potatoes and pasta mostly.. i didnt get particular goals, aside from "as few carbs as possible, no bread, pasta or root vegetables, and as much fatty meats as you can stand"
    yesterday i had 189g carbs and 143g protine, the day before tht was like 80g carbs and 207g protine..but i spoke to my pt like two days ago when i was really wanting chips his advice "whenever you want a snack eat bacon"
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/700206-just-like-french-fries
    I haven't tried it, but the recipe above could be a replacement for chips.

I'm trying to eat low carb, whilst cooking for my husband who loves carbs. I'm eating the same foods as before, just slightly modified. For example, tonight we're having Salmon and veg, and he is also having a baked potato. I even made lasagna this week and just left the pasta out of mine.
    Cheese omlettes quite low carb and high in protein.
    Do you use a protein shake?
  • tquinn27
    tquinn27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/700206-just-like-french-fries
    I haven't tried it, but the recipe above could be a replacement for chips.

I'm trying to eat low carb, whilst cooking for my husband who loves carbs. I'm eating the same foods as before, just slightly modified. For example, tonight we're having Salmon and veg, and he is also having a baked potato. I even made lasagna this week and just left the pasta out of mine.
    Cheese omlettes quite low carb and high in protein.
    Do you use a protein shake?

I do this all the time not only with green beans but also with asparagus. I also do them on the grill instead of the oven sometimes. Both ways are great and ultra satisfying. As a substitute for potatoes, I have used Jicama as french fries and fried potatoes. Delish!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    so my pt has reccomended i cut my carbs way back and reaally up my protine and fat intake, im only into my second week at gym and not doing to much i go three times a week and do :
    6x10 leg lifts (3 sets for each leg)
    3x10 compound row (i think at 26lbs)
    3x10 vertical press (13lbs)
    3x10 diagonal press (13lbs)
    3x10 horozontal press (13lbs)
    3x10 chin ups (counterweightes so it only wors out at about 8lbs)

i am getting a new fitness program next week to include something for legs and bum, but has anyone else cut carbs? im finding it really difficult.. also what did you start with when you started at gym?
    thanks

Several years ago I went down to 50g net for several months under doctors orders. The best thing to do is to get a book about the Atkins diet, then tweak it to fit your situation.

When I started at the gym I did treadmill only the first 2 weeks, then I started on a few of the strength machines. As I got comfortable with them, I added more. I just finished an introductory *class* on the free motion cable machines.

For your butt/back thighs, see if there is a back extension machine. IN about 8 months I have gone from 50-70lbs to 130lbs on it. Also, some of the Lat machines also work that area. I do assisted pull ups/tricep dips. I am 198lbs and I use 115lbs of assist, which means I am pulling up 83lbs of my own weight!