Running vs scale

Options
I started running on a fairly consistent basis around th beginning of September ... Since doing so I seemed to have plateaued but I have lost inches. My question is, is this common when running that at first maybe muscle is being built and the scale does not move?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You're not likely building a whole lot of muscle from running. You may be retaining a little fluid in the muscles, which can make the scale go up. If you are losing inches then you are likely on the right track -- or really, you are on the right track, as I think lost inches makes a much bigger impact on your health and appearance (as lost inches means lost FAT in most cases if you lost inches but not pounds, and given that people can see that you are smaller) than lost pounds (which no one can see).
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I started running at the end of July, and now do 3-5 miles, 3 times a week. The weight has started to come off quite quickly, but only over the past 4 or 5 weeks. People have started noticing my additional weight loss too, which is a real boost!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Could you also be overcompensating on the eating side of things?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not building muscle when running is a misconception - especially when you have just started. The thighs are the biggest muscle complex in the body and of course you demand more of them when you start running. They are going to become denser and slightly larger to cope with the extra demand. As the amount of extra muscle required is built you will then see the fat weight start to drop off again. You are most likely building muscle in your new legs while still dropping fat weight but they are balancing each other out.

It could also be a little water retention as ixap suggests.

If you can weigh yourself with muscle/fat scales I lay a bet that is what you will see; muscle up, fat levels down.

Stick with it.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would say you are likely retaining water in your muscle as they repair from the running. I 'gain' approximately 5 pounds after a long race... it is temporary and should even out in a week or so.

Your muscle get fatigued, has micro tears in the fiber and will rebuild stronger to adapt to your new activity level. This takes a lot of blood and oxygen, so your body will retain a little water, create more red blood cells and start rebuilding. When they are no longer needed, it will get rid of the excess.

As long as you are training hard, you will see an excess pound or two. As you level off, it should go away. Another idea that may help is to drink more water - up towards a gallon a day. Your body will begin to shed excess water to stay balanced. (make sure you mix in a protein rich snack (I like a glass of chocolate milk) and some electrolyte drink after your workout.

Hope this helps!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    What sort of mileage are you doing?

And what are you doing in terms of balancing eating calories and calorie expenditure?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Not building muscle when running is a misconception - especially when you have just started. The thighs are the biggest muscle complex in the body and of course you demand more of them when you start running. They are going to become denser and slightly larger to cope with the extra demand. As the amount of extra muscle required is built you will then see the fat weight start to drop off again. You are most likely building muscle in your new legs while still dropping fat weight but they are balancing each other out.
    Even if you build some muscle from running, it's not going to be several pounds in a few weeks, to explain the discrepancy between scale staying the same and the calorie deficit she is consuming. I would have said the same thing if she said "I've been lifting the heaviest weights I can 3-4 times per week for a few weeks" -- we simply don't build muscle at that rate! Would that it were so easy to do so. These scale blips early on are due to water retained in the muscles.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I do not do long runs as I just started to run on the treadmill with out stopping the beginning of October so 2.5 to 3 miles... I have noticed more muscle build in my thighs and calves.

On the flip I have noticed I have been more hungry so I maybe over compensating but never going over my calories for the day. Between circuit training and the gym I try to burn 2500 cals a aweek...

Thank you for the thought of increasing water intake...makes sense, helps the muscles heal too...

Again, thanks for the advise and in site to this beginner runner :happy: