Talking about your weightloss

Options
As someone who's, lets say 'flirted' with weight loss over the years, (I've given it a few half hearted attempts I perhaps didn't realise where quite so half hearted at the time along with some real goes at it) I'm often reticent to share any news of success or even that I'm trying with anyone around me.

Some people will notice, others won't or simply don't really care. The reason I'm not a fan of sharing is that look. That 'oh look at the fatty saying he's going to lose weight' look. It's like you're unable to win, people will judge you for not trying to fix a problem with your weight but they'll also judge you for trying to take ownership of the problem and taking steps to fix it. Perhaps I'm paranoid here or maybe I just don't know very many nice people. What are your experiences good people of MFP? Do you like to talk about how you're trying or keep it to yourself?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I talk about it but I think it does bore some people so I try not to :)
  • marfmellows
    Options
    Because I am around people when I eat (sunday dinners with the fam, etc) I do get asked why I am not eating particular things and simply say, "I'm just watching what I eat." I think going on and on about dieting and weight loss is incredibly annoying and presumptive, especially because a LOT of people lost ten pounds and become experts on fitness and health with a bit of advice for EVERYONE.

There is PLENTY of unwanted guilt we get daily about our bodies and about dieting and weight loss, I'm not going to put more of that on the people I love so I keep my mouth shut unless someone asks me a specific question.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    People who haven't been in this situation don't know what it's like. They may not mean harm, but they have no idea how disheartening they can be. Then there's a few who truly are malicious...

But when you succeed, you'll show them.

Thankfully, I'm surrounded by super supportive people. My whole family is very proud of me. My bro started losing weight once he saw me making progress, and he's doing fantastic. My dad couldn't be happier and comments on how different I look. My cousins are envious but supportive... last but not least, my mom often knew what we needed before we even thought about it. For example, she refrained from making her specialty marinated short ribs (SUPER high calorie) because she knew my bro would be tempted.

The only family member who's not being supportive is my dog. :laugh: I have a lot more energy and strength now, and it's much harder for her to pull on the walk!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on who is asking and how he or she is asking. I don't just offer the info unsolicited, but I'm at my goal (actually below), so people who haven't seen me throughout often have questions. I expect to get a lot over the holidays seeing my family. If they genuinely appear to have some interest, I will tell them in detail what I have been doing. If it's just "how'd you lose so much weight?" then I start with "exercise and carefully watching what I eat." If they ask a follow-up, then I share more details.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone, especially my husband ..... his eyes would just glaze over .......

When I lost 25 lbs, a coworker made a nice comment & I just said thanks ......... when I lost 35 lbs, my family (mom & siblings) noticed & asked for details, I told them ......

Best of luck to you !
  • LDragonfly1980
    LDragonfly1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tell lots of people I know.......only because in my head..if I don't succeed then I will look like a silly *kitten*......so that drives me to do it!
  • pyratepete
    Options
    I don't want to be one of those folks who goes round running their mouth off to anyone, far from it! But when I've hit a landmark loss then I'm really excited and proud but that feels like it's lessened since I just don't/can't tell anyone really except for the friend who's been hitting the gym with me and showing me what to do. Like many of you, if people notice my body is changing shape or notice I'm not eating then I'll mention I'm trying to watch what I'm eating, same goes for when people notice I don't drink any more (though with that I tend towards 'meh I'm a bit of an idiot when I'm drunk so I don't bother' these days!)

Thanks a lot for your responses folks, it's nice to get some new perspectives.

...Next up coming to terms with those times where sticking dead on to your diet would just make you miserable (The dreaded C*****mas!) I figure if I accept that there's gonna be 2 days where it all goes to hell and just work on damage limitation I'll pull through! Though running off to the gym for a sneaky cardio session is probably out sadly.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Outside of MFP I rarely do. I don't say anything, offer advice, unless I am asked. Other than my family and a few close friends, no one knows. I have a semi-blog Facebook page going on but even then, I don't promote it or tell people about it. The few people outside my inner circle that I do share with are always shocked by how much I weighed before and judging by my current during pics are shocked to find out I am still over 300 lbs. It's the height thing. It throws people off when they eye ball me to guess my weight.
  • JeanetDK
    Options
    This is the most public I've ever been about it. It's always been easier to give up if no one knew what I was trying so basically I've always given myself the possibility to fail from the beginning. That is over!
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am fairly honest about it. I let the people around me know so later on, when they offer me something I shouldn't have, I politley remind them that I am watching my diet. The only friction I've gotten so far was from someone close to me when I told her how much weight I'd lost after the first week. For the most part though, I bounce meal ideas off of her, since she is a caterer in her spare time & knows a thing or two about cooking. She'll ask me too how it is going now & then.

Perhaps I shouldn't, but I don't hide the fact that I am Diabetic from people either. I feel, especially those on my team should be aware, should anything happen to me while I am work. I have actually found several people in my office that are Diabetic, I would never have known! It is nice knowing that there are others so close by that I can go to with questions or concerns, both with diet & Diabetic related issues.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have found before when I would say "I plan on losing weight" people would give me the "Yeah right" look. Because I had so much to lose. Now that I've lost most of it, people seem to be a lot more interested in it. I quit saying "I plan on losing weight" to just doing it. Now people come to me and ask me how. Or when I meet new people and where I work people always ask me what I like best on the menu, and I first start with what I like and they see it's on the 500 calories or less menu and are like "Isn't that on the healthy menu? Have you tried the fried wonton tacos?" LOL I'm like "I count my calories and if I do eat here those 2 dishes are the only one's I've given a chance." Then I get the "Why do you count calories?" then the whole "I've lost over 120 lbs and I don't plan on going backwards." Then I get the "WOW, Really? How did you do that?"
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I stick to Only with close friends and family.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    As someone who's, lets say 'flirted' with weight loss over the years, (I've given it a few half hearted attempts I perhaps didn't realise where quite so half hearted at the time along with some real goes at it) I'm often reticent to share any news of success or even that I'm trying with anyone around me.

Some people will notice, others won't or simply don't really care. The reason I'm not a fan of sharing is that look. That 'oh look at the fatty saying he's going to lose weight' look. It's like you're unable to win, people will judge you for not trying to fix a problem with your weight but they'll also judge you for trying to take ownership of the problem and taking steps to fix it. Perhaps I'm paranoid here or maybe I just don't know very many nice people. What are your experiences good people of MFP? Do you like to talk about how you're trying or keep it to yourself?

I tell lots of people I know ......specially my best buddies :)