Easy Mexican Side Dishes?

ambercole
ambercole Posts: 426
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I am planning on making Baked Chicken Taquitos for dinner tonight but am having trouble thinking of any side dishes. I am trying to deviate from the traditional rice, beans, or corn recipes because that is what I always end up cooking. Do any of ya'll know of any easy mexican sides that do not include these ingredients?

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    roasted root vegetables tossed with olive oil, cilantro and lime juice......roasted potatoes, onions and poblano chiles...tomato and avocado salad with cilantro and lime juice
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    You can also make posole... it is a mexican soup and it is very good... this is not my recepie... but one I picked up from the net...

* 1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves
    * 2 cloves garlic, peeled
    * 5 peppercorns
    * 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    * hominyoregano, pinch
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 2 tablespoon oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/2 teaspoon cloves
    * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    * 4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
    * 3 to 5 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder
    * 1 cup canned chopped green chilies
    * Salt to taste
    * 2 whole jalapenos, canned or fresh, chopped (optional)

The recepie also called for meat from the shoulder but that is fatty and not really needed. My grandmother made this for me in mexico city and I loved it and it had no meat in it just the broth.... Enjoy
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    How about homeade pico de gallo? It's easy...chop up tomato, onion and jalapeno, mix in lime juice, S&P, and my secret ingredients are cumin & paprika. You can eat this in tacos, by itself, or scoop with chips. Best to let it marinate for an hour or so. Dee-lish! By the way, this is a GREAT healthy dish to take to friends' houses.
This discussion has been closed.