Is it possible to hit a fitness plateau?

Options
dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
What I mean by this is, if I run 5 times a week at the same pace each time (9-12 min mile) between 4-7 miles at a time, after a long period of time (like years) will I stop getting a burn from the activity? Or as much of a burn as I did before? I have had such a hard time losing weight, and I wonder if the running isnt burning what I think it is. I dont necessarily eat my exercise cals back, but I am not losing even in a deficit, and I wonder if this is why. I have tried to change up my routine doing intervals/HIIT and that didnt seem to do anything, and I tried a completely different workout routine (Insanity) and that didnt do anything either?

I actually enjoy running so I would rather not give that up, but I really need to lose this weight.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    the human body needs progression to grow
  • smcwilliams516
    smcwilliams516 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that with my HRM, after weeks of doing the same exercises, my body adjusts and I do struggle to get my HR up and my calories burned will decrease. I have found that taking time off, or switching up my activities, ie doing weights/strength training, helps to keep from this plateau. Good luck!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Your body will certainly become more efficient, but you won't stop burning calories. Look at the calorie burns of some of the serious distance runners on here. They're still pretty significant.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body becomes very efficient at doing the same thing over and over plus your fitness level increases so you burn less. You'll always burn calories just by virtue of getting your heart rate up but to get the same burn you'll probably need to go faster or farther.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Thanks!!

I have been running for years, and never have had so much trouble losing as I have the past year. I dont wanna trade in running for something else, so i guess there will be some speedwork in my future!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

I have been running for years, and never have had so much trouble losing as I have the past year. I dont wanna trade in running for something else, so i guess there will be some speedwork in my future!

exactly
    your body will become more efficient, so you need to speed up. challenge yourslef to run faster but keep rnning for the same amount of time, also if you can, invest inhrm and try to keep the same average HR during workouts - as long as your HR is not decreasing, your kcal burn is not decreasing
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You don't have to trade in running if you really love it but maybe try adding something else in aswell. Do you do any strength training? If not then maybe put some in 2-3 times a week. Or see if your gym has any fitness classes you might enjoy. As others have said while you will still burn calories by doing it your body becomes better at it over time and therefore becomes more efficient. Just change it up and add something else in. You could add some sprints in and do HIIT which is extremely effective and you'll still be running.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that my calorie burn will decrease if I do the same workout over and over, you just get better, more efficient and comfortable. Think of it like lifting the exact same amount of weights over and over, without increasing.

I switch it up by doing different workouts - spin class, step class, kick boxing, etc - just to get a different flavour now and then. Keeps things interesting for me (and tougher).

HIIT for runners is definitely a good way to do that, keep challenging yourself!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn is based on your heart rate. IF you heart doesn't have to work as hard, it's not going to burn as much. Keep running if that is your passion, but add in some interval sprints to get your heart rate up every 3 minutes or so.. or add another source of exercise. I'm a huge fan of circuit/cross training type workouts involving weights and bursts of cardio. You can mix it up so many ways, and my body tends to not get bored- I just add more weight, or modify the exercises to make them harder.

Good luck. I envy your running ability. I don't have it!

Hezz
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    maybe try alternating days - shorter run with some strength training one day and a longer run the next or something like that - I like changing things up a bit just to keep from getting bored
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Also your diary is closed so I couldn't look, but how much are you eating? Your deficit may be to great or not great enough based on your current weight. You may need to adjust macros. After I hit about 50 lbs lost or so, I had to stop eating processed carbs and sugars/breads. Still ate about 80 carbs a day but it came from veggies and fruits and dairy. Then at about 65 lbs lost, my activity level changed with work, i've been able to eat whatever the heck i want to eat and still lose about 1lb a week as long as i keep my cals in check. diet is 80% of weight loss. I'd look there first.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you'll burn less if you do the same run over and over again, as others have said...your body becomes more efficient in helping you run...I see this as a GREAT sign!! If a calorie burn is more important than the 'run' it's self, then you can increase your run AND run a little faster...keep an eye on your HRM and make sure it's calibrated with correct weight/height.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yeah, with running it's totally possible. You need to vary the type and pace of runs you are doing, or else you'll stagnate.

You need a schedule that includes recovery type runs, interval work, speed work and longer distance runs. This will increase your pace, force your body to re-adapt and put some distance into your legs. Or cross-train a couple of times a week.

Basically if you do the same thing over and over every time you work out for the same duration and at the same pace, your muscles become highly-adapted and efficient. In the end, you get your central nervous system only firing the muscles it needs for any movement and then you lose aerobic (and some fat burning) benefits because you're not challenged sufficiently in performing the movement. This is also why top athletes cross-train to challenge new muscles and often-used muscles in a new way.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Also your diary is closed so I couldn't look, but how much are you eating? Your deficit may be to great or not great enough based on your current weight. You may need to adjust macros. After I hit about 50 lbs lost or so, I had to stop eating processed carbs and sugars/breads. Still ate about 80 carbs a day but it came from veggies and fruits and dairy. Then at about 65 lbs lost, my activity level changed with work, i've been able to eat whatever the heck i want to eat and still lose about 1lb a week as long as i keep my cals in check. diet is 80% of weight loss. I'd look there first.

I have tried everything! I have tried eating macros 40/30/30, paleo, "eating more to lose" low carb, and I have managed to gain 10 lbs in the past year doing all that. Now I am eating avg 1800 cals per day and not eating back ex. cals. I am 5'8 and 173. I started here at 162, so I am not happy about this. I have done diet breaks, metabolism reset, increasing cals so now I am at 1800. I started this 7 weeks ago and initially lost 6 lbs in a couple weeks, then no change for 3 weeks then gained 2 lbs, and have stayed at 173.....I generally try to eat at least 120-130 gms protein per day, limit carbs to 40%, and eat clean 90% of the time...I have had labs, etc and everything there is normal.....
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I have tried everything! I have tried eating macros 40/30/30, paleo, "eating more to lose" low carb, and I have managed to gain 10 lbs in the past year doing all that. Now I am eating avg 1800 cals per day and not eating back ex. cals. I am 5'8 and 173. I started here at 162, so I am not happy about this. I have done diet breaks, metabolism reset, increasing cals so now I am at 1800. I started this 7 weeks ago and initially lost 6 lbs in a couple weeks, then no change for 3 weeks then gained 2 lbs, and have stayed at 173.....I generally try to eat at least 120-130 gms protein per day, limit carbs to 40%, and eat clean 90% of the time...I have had labs, etc and everything there is normal.....

Do you weigh your food? Use a HRM to more accurately gauge the calories burnt when you workout? Do you accurately log everything you eat, include alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks? Hot drinks that have milk/sugar/etc? If you keep a 250-500 deficit per day and accurately log all food/drinks/exercise, then you will lose weight.

If you want that weight loss to be more fat and less muscle then you need to up the protein component of your diet and add a strength component to your training.

As the previous poster mentioned, your diary is closed, so it's all speculation at this point really.........
  • dawnemjh
    Options

Do you weigh your food? Use a HRM to more accurately gauge the calories burnt when you workout? Do you accurately log everything you eat, include alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks? Hot drinks that have milk/sugar/etc? If you keep a 250-500 deficit per day and accurately log all food/drinks/exercise, then you will lose weight.

If you want that weight loss to be more fat and less muscle then you need to up the protein component of your diet and add a strength component to your training.

As the previous poster mentioned, your diary is closed, so it's all speculation at this point really.........

I weight EVERYTHING that can possibly be weighed, and if not I measure, but mostly weigh everything. I dont drink much in the form of liquid cals but if i do I log. I havent had alcohol in 2 mos but log it if I do. I have used HRM and Bodymedia in the past and according to that I am always at least 500 cal deficit per day. Actually this was when i gained weight because my bodymedia would say that i burned 2500-3000 per day and I was eating 1800 or so, so I increased cals to "eat more to lose" and ended up gaining slowly. Now I am averaging about 1850 cals per day
    I do stronglifts twice a week, squating 145lbs, deadlifts 135lbs etc. I eat 120 gm/day minimum of protein. The other days I run 4-8 miles. I am a good 13 lbs heavier now then when i started.
    So should I eat more protein????
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Also i opened my food diary BUT please keep in mind that the past 2-3 days I have been eating more because of frustration from gaining when I should be losing and being hungry so please look back further than just the past 3 days. ALso I dont nec. eat the food at the time its posted, but due to convenience i dont change it. For example, I may have listed for breakfast egg whites, egg beaters, coffe with creamer, etc. but I actually have the egg whites at lunch and the coffee for morning snack.....hope this makes sense and I appreciate all the feedback.

I am just so frustrated because the past 7 weeks I have been so strict with myself, no alchol, no eating out, etc, no nibbles of my daughters left overs, etc and to find myself gaining is so disheartning......
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Perhaps you've body recomp'd due to the lifting? Are you actually heavier, but the same size in inches? Or maybe even smaller?

Once you get to a certain level, only measurements really tell you the whole tale.

Also, when you go at the weights hard your body packs on the water to protect your muscles during the repair process. When you lay off the weights for a short time this water weight tends to dissipate.

If you're strict with your logging, have correctly calibrated your HRM, have your activity level set correctly on the site, and you are sure that the weight gain isn't body recomp or water weight, then you may need to manually adjust you net calorie figure down a bit. Also, more protein just stops weight loss being made up of a higher percentage of muscle tissue, it doesn't equate to more weight loss. You could eat pure crap, be under your calories and still lose weight - just a higher percentage of it will be muscle....
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    thanks!! I will try eating more protein!
  • jimmmer
    Options
    No worries! At the end of the day..... weight loss can go in fits and starts. You can definitely plateau by doing the same training over and over. Your body can pack on water weight to protect your muscles. Plus, sometimes you just need a recovery week to break through a plateau: just do light cardio (and I mean light) and stretching on alternative days for a week, then go back and hit the weights and running hard. Sometimes this busts you right through a plateau.

We've all been there: you can't just lose X pounds a week by being a strict number of calories under every day. The human body just doesn't work that way. Focus on improving your fitness: pushing yourself during your workouts and varying your workouts (and be consistent with logging your food) and you'll get there.

Two final things: Sleep and stress. You want to maximise your sleep and minimise your stress (easier said than done!). I've always found the greatest progress in training for me comes when I'm getting some quality shut-eye. You're body just bounces back quicker and you tackle your workouts with more gusto. Workouts + more gusto - injuries = better results!