Do any of you save the calories that you get from exercise?

Options
anneeb
anneeb Posts: 16 Member
Do any of you save the calories that you get from exercise (like for the weekend, as an example)? Sort of the way that Weight Watchers allows?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do that sometimes. I always eat and drink more on the weekends and don't really want to change that so it only makes sense to plan for it.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Not usualy. I like to treat each day in isolation. The only time I don't eat them back is if I'm really not hungry for them, in which case I just make sure I've eaten my 1200 for the day.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to think of it as a "use it or lose it" type of deal. If I know that Friday & Saturday are usually the days that I eat bad then I workout extra hard those mornings.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i don't save them..but the plan im following does not allow it..i also like to look at each day individually that way i can really keep track of everything!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do that sometimes. I always eat and drink more on the weekends and don't really want to change that so it only makes sense to plan for it.

This is what I do, more or less--but I still try to run at a deficit overall. (And I'm really bad about tracking on the weekends, but I try not to go TOO crazy.)
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I *always* move some of my exercise calories during the week over to Sunday's log (my rest day). That way I'll actually use the day to rest. I hate seeing my calorie total go into the red, even for one day, and I just can't function on less than, say, 1500 calories a day. Just because I didn't exercise that day doesn't mean I only need 1200 calories. It's been working for me so far--I've lost every single week since I started 8 weeks ago.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I do. I use the whole weekend as my "cheat day" and I keep track of my calories over the week so I know about how much I can loosen the reins and still be within my weekly goal. Since I've been keeping track, I've been at a deficit every week and my weight loss has stayed consistent, so it's really been working for me.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not really. But I do carb load on the weekends, then it's back to <50 carbs for the week.

Yes I'll have a milkshake if I want, but I still log it and try to hit my cals (with a high carb angle).
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    If it's somewhere I know I'm going to eat a lot, which isn't often, then yes. I will usually push myself harder that week and bank calories and then eat little during the day that I'm having the meal.

I have to do this for Fogo De Chao. So much meat...
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I still don't think I totally get the "eat back your exercise calories" thing, so I don't concern myself with it. If I exercise and don't eat them back, I'm not going to starve.
  • Lee716
    Lee716 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No rollover calories in my plan. Each day is done on an individual basis.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I eat at 20% below TDEE so my daily calorie goal is a static number, no matter if I exercise or not. So, no, I do not eat them back nor do I adjust for daily activity.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like to look at the week as a whole.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No rollover calories in my plan. Each day is done on an individual basis.

I try do this. I might extend that to a day on either side (so 2 days total). I think I read somewhere that 2 days is about how long it takes your body to make or burn fat. Not sure if that is true, though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In a way... I'm looking to maintain, but I'm eating a little tiny bit below my TDEE Monday through Friday to give myself wiggle room on weekends.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your body works more on a weekly basis, rather then day-to-day. it's happened to many of us. we work out, and have a balanced day of eating, but the next day we're just not that hungry, so we less, and the day after that we're super hungry and EAT ALL THE THINGS!!

while i don't necessarily recommend to bank tons of calories for a weekend of food and alcohol binging, to be concious of the whole week works well.

like a friend of mine says "don't miss the forest for the trees."
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to keep every day separate in my head, and got down on myself when I messed up and went badly over. I then did the maths and worked out that over the last few months, when I evened it all out, I was about 3-6,000 calories under my limit per month! Nice! So I stopped giving myself such a hard time. I always try to do a good job, but I know there are some days I'll be doing better than others!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I still don't think I totally get the "eat back your exercise calories" thing, so I don't concern myself with it. If I exercise and don't eat them back, I'm not going to starve.

if you do two hours of exercise, burn 1200 cals, and only ear 1200 cals, it's not hard to see how that adds up to starving...?
  • jcfromny
    jcfromny Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I thought when you worked out, you were supposed to eat back those calories b/c your body needs them; is this not the case? I'm so confused! lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I thought when you worked out, you were supposed to eat back those calories b/c your body needs them; is this not the case? I'm so confused! lol

yes, your body needs them. keep eating them. or drink them.

did i say drink your exercise calories??? WAIT, NO PUT DOWN THAT MARGARITA!!! i mean to get yourself some protein powder, and start using it to make post work out/recovery shakes. use 1-2 scoops of powder, 6-8 ounces of orange juice, and then a half a cup or two of frozen berries and throw it in the blender. its a great way to replenish your body with a lot of good stuff that it needs, and taken after a work out it refreshes you, and helps put off that OMG I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING feeling ppl get an hour or two after a work out.