Losing weight and the IUD

Options
I have been reading online postings from women that have the IUD (Mirenia or Paraguard) saying that they got pregnant on it and that if you lose +20 you could get pregnant. I have a call into the MD but has anyone heard this to be true?

Replies

• nmonkey
    nmonkey Posts: 66
    Options
    I have been reading online postings from women that have the IUD (Mirenia or Paraguard) saying that they got pregnant on it and that if you lose +20 you could get pregnant. I have a call into the MD but has anyone heard this to be true?
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I am scheduled on tuesday for the IUD and the doc said that the chances of getting pregnant are less then using condoms regularly, and I ask her about weight gain (because I gained weight with the pill) and she said that there is a slight possibility with weight gain but it will probably be my lifestyle and not the IUD. I was really leary about getting one so I asked lots of questions and made sure the answers were confermed a few times. Right now I would rather have another baby then put on more weight.
  • cami_clone
    cami_clone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've never heard of this. Interesting though since many IUDs are inserted soon after having a baby and many of these women are trying to lose weight. Most pregnancies seem to occur if they fall out without noticing (usually within a couple of months of having a baby).

I HAVE heard of having issues with a diaphragm if you change by more than 7 lbs, since you have to get refitted, but IUDs seem to be one size fits all.

Besides that, I got a copper IUD in a couple of weeks after my son was born and it seemed to have no effects on my weight besides that I didn't lose any (mostly since I wasn't trying). Not so sure about weight gain with the Mirena. It has hormones in it which I have tried to avoid for various reasons.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the Paraguard put in about 3 weeks ago and it hasn't bothered me, not stopped me from losing weight. I am done with having kids, so needed to make sure that the percentage was very low on that. He said he has been very lucky with these. Very, very rarely did he have a pregnancy. I have to go in in a couple of weeks to have an ultrasound to make sure it's still in place, then it just needs to be checked once a year. I will sue his sorry butt if I get pregnant! Good lord, I can't even imagine having another gigantor baby!
    Good luck!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Depending on your body chemistry and which IUD you have, it can cause you to lose weight. I just had my mirena removed two months ago and am patiently waiting for the hormones to leave my body. I am very susceptible to hormones. Short term, it did not cause me to gain weight, but kept my weight loss down. After almost 3 years, it started to interfere and I started gaining. I also had gained a lot of weight on depo from the hormones. I lost over 50lbs on the IUD and had it checked and it hadn't changed position.
  • nmonkey
    nmonkey Posts: 66
    Options
    Depending on your body chemistry and which IUD you have, it can cause you to lose weight. I just had my mirena removed two months ago and am patiently waiting for the hormones to leave my body. I am very susceptible to hormones. Short term, it did not cause me to gain weight, but kept my weight loss down. After almost 3 years, it started to interfere and I started gaining. I also had gained a lot of weight on depo from the hormones. I lost over 50lbs on the IUD and had it checked and it hadn't changed position.

I am glad to hear it did not move. I am terrified of getting pregnant again and not being able to see it daily to make sure it's fitted properly makes me nervous. Sometime the internet an freak me out....after reading the posts from ladies that got pregnant with the IUD made me want to take it out ASAP. I heard that if you lose weight the IUD can move and therefore could possibly get pregnant.
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    both the IUD and Diaphragh come in different sizes and the correct one for your body needs to be fitted

for an IUD a good gynacologist can check every now and again to ensure it hasn't moved

though there are risks with fluctuating weight and the effectiveness of this form of contraception if the devise moves inside you

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    I have a Mirena. I gained weight with the pill and lost rather quickly once I got off of it. I was dieting when I got my Mirena and had no problem losing weight. I am losing weight again and still having no problem. The hormone dose is so low and localized, I haven't felt any hormonal side effects since i've been on it. I had my yearly "check up" after weight loss and the doc said everything was in place properly. I love my Mirena!