What are some healthy foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think canned soups are healthy, the ones in clear broth not creamy. They are also not too expensive, thats usually what I eat for lunch most days.

If you are not worried about sodium intake then yes, otherwise I find them to be WAAAY to salty. I make my own soup.
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    NORMAL FOOD YOU LIKE! Do you like meat... eat meat, do you like fruit... eat fruit, do you like vegis... eat vegis. Do not put one drop of anything you do not like or LOVE in your mouth. If you "don't like it" and it is just THERE...DON'T EAT IT!!!! Wait to get something that makes you happy! WATCH YOUR CALORIES....EAT WHAT YOU WANT....I have been doing it since April 1st and have lost 54 lbs....EATING ONLY WHAT I WANT....I WANT... not what the family wants not what is "easy" but WHAT I "WANT". IT IS AMAZING THE DIFFERENCE!

YES sometimes I WANT A BURGER, YES sometimes I WANT CARROT CAKE, YES I WANT SUBWAY ALOT...YES, I WANT STARBUCKS....but I always count the calories and stay under my alloted amount for my size/height....

AMAZINGLY SIMPLE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT!

I'm not sure why you felt you needed to scream, but I agree with most of this. Except for NEVER eating anything you don't LOVE. In order to try new foods you will undoubtedly have to eat some foods you don't love or maybe even like and perhaps never will. But it often takes a few tries to really know if you like something, or a few teaks of a recipe to get it to the point that you LOVE it.

Don't be afraid to break out of your food "comfort zone". There just might be some foods out there that you LOVE that aren't fast food or sweets.

I agree that it's a good idea to try new things and to try things you *think* you don't like. The freshness of a food or the way it's been prepared can make a tremendous difference in how palatable it is.

It is not YELLING it is EXCITEMENT..... If you look you can see I am 49 yrs old...I have eaten many things and have 'tried' a million more. I am very open minded to all food. I bet I eat less 'fast food and sweets' than most people.....But in saying that, many people think a healthy eating life style can NEVER include these things. I was simply stating that yes they can on occasion (without GUILT)....Look at my diary before you judge that I eat tons of sweets and junk food....................
  • ninabaz
    ninabaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Shop the outside of the store avoid the isles
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    v6GWS.png
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    v6GWS.png

Pollantastic. :)

I would also emphasise bacon.

And eggs. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NORMAL FOOD YOU LIKE! Do you like meat... eat meat, do you like fruit... eat fruit, do you like vegis... eat vegis. Do not put one drop of anything you do not like or LOVE in your mouth. If you "don't like it" and it is just THERE...DON'T EAT IT!!!! Wait to get something that makes you happy! WATCH YOUR CALORIES....EAT WHAT YOU WANT....I have been doing it since April 1st and have lost 54 lbs....EATING ONLY WHAT I WANT....I WANT... not what the family wants not what is "easy" but WHAT I "WANT". IT IS AMAZING THE DIFFERENCE!

YES sometimes I WANT A BURGER, YES sometimes I WANT CARROT CAKE, YES I WANT SUBWAY ALOT...YES, I WANT STARBUCKS....but I always count the calories and stay under my alloted amount for my size/height....

AMAZINGLY SIMPLE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT!

I'm not sure why you felt you needed to scream, but I agree with most of this. Except for NEVER eating anything you don't LOVE. In order to try new foods you will undoubtedly have to eat some foods you don't love or maybe even like and perhaps never will. But it often takes a few tries to really know if you like something, or a few teaks of a recipe to get it to the point that you LOVE it.

Don't be afraid to break out of your food "comfort zone". There just might be some foods out there that you LOVE that aren't fast food or sweets.

I agree that it's a good idea to try new things and to try things you *think* you don't like. The freshness of a food or the way it's been prepared can make a tremendous difference in how palatable it is.

It is not YELLING it is EXCITEMENT..... If you look you can see I am 49 yrs old...I have eaten many things and have 'tried' a million more. I am very open minded to all food. I bet I eat less 'fast food and sweets' than most people.....But in saying that, many people think a healthy eating life style can NEVER include these things. I was simply stating that yes they can on occasion (without GUILT)....Look at my diary before you judge that I eat tons of sweets and junk food....................

I wasn't judging you. Your post only mentioned fast food and sweets (Subway, carrot cake, etc.) as things you want. My response was prompted by that, but was not about you personally. I was using the universal "you". I apologize for not being clear..

My point was that it's good for one to sometimes eat things they don't love. I'm 51 yo and hated brussel sprounts for 47 years. Then my husband said "Let's try them on the grill." They are now my very favorite vegetable. I am very glad I didn't say "No thanks, I don't like them so I'm not wasting my calories."
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for clearing that up. What I meant by my... don't put a bite of anything you don't like in your mouth was.....example, you are somehere, anywhere and there is a bowl of greasy chips and dips...ect....and you don't really want it, you know it will give you a gut ache but you eat it cuz it is there......when you really want crab stuffed mushroom....knowing you have time for them later in the day and a way to get them......WAIT AND SAVE YOU CALORIES FOR THEM.... it is what you really want anyway...(just an example)
    and yes of course you are going to have them in moderation, because over eating(or a desire to eat more healthy) got you on this website in the first place...I now that is why I AM HERE.....
    Life is short, take care of yourself the best you can....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This would depend on how your local store is set up I suppose, but I buy lots of healthy foods from the aisles at my store. Nuts and nut butters, dried beans, whole grains and seeds, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, pasta, spices, and more can be found in the aisles.

And while there is fresh produce, fish and meat on the outside, there is also wine, juice, margarine, baked goods, deli meats, bread and candy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

This would depend on how your local store is set up I suppose, but I buy lots of healthy foods from the aisles at my store. Nuts and nut butters, dried beans, whole grains and seeds, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, pasta, spices, and more can be found in the aisles.

And while there is fresh produce, fish and meat on the outside, there is also wine, juice, margarine, baked goods, deli meats, bread and candy.

What's wrong with wine, juice, margarine, baked goods, deli meats, bread and candy? I find it odd that you would put those on your list of unhealthy while looking at your list of healty: Nuts and nut butters, dried beans, whole grains and seeds, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, pasta, spices

However, the reason you stay to the perimeter of the store is because this is generally where the freshes foods are, they either require attentants (seafood) or regular checking for restock and spoilage so they need to be easily accessed. At the same time, this is also where they tend to put their displays and their impulse buys.