gluten free eaters

Options
looking for anybody eating gluten free or ceoliacs people, im in need of some friends in the same boat as me, satistics state thats theres millions of other people out there with ceoliacs but i dont know one of them and i think it would be a lil better if i did im only new to the gluten free thing my 4 year old lil man an i were both diagnosed back in april an im still learning so any help at all would be greatly appreciated an also any low cal suggestions that aint fruit an vegies would be fantastic

and just a few other things if u do have ceoliacs did u have or still have any of the following
-dark rings under and around eyes
-major mood problems
-issues falling asleep at night
-anxiety
- any other probs related to mental well being

if u did have any of them did they stop/change after changing to the gluten free food an if so how long did it take as i have been suffering with all plus many more probs an im really hoping its all related to the ceoliacs

Replies

• BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the gluten struggle too. I haven't really found any alternatives I enjoy yet. I've mostly just been avoiding any and all bread products and taking special care to read labels, making sure wheat isn't listed as an allergen. It takes some getting used to, especially when you realize how many places center their meals around or feature bread.

All I can say is that goodness rice and potatoes and gluten free. Good luck. Let me know if you find any tasty gluten free foods!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherri

I do not have celiacs but I do try to avoid gluten and grains in general because I just feel better without them. (I'm a Paleo Lifestyle fan :happy: ). I'm far from perfect with it but I try to stay on point more often than not! Also, one of my best friends has celiacs so it's near and dear to my heart as it is.

If you'd like to be friends shoot me a request :flowerforyou:
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Hey Sherri. I've been gluten free since January because of gluten intolerance. I have been eating mostly meat, fruit (A LOT of fruit) and vegetables. Refried beans has been a God-send for me! It fills me up and does not have a ridiculous amount of calories. I'll eat a can for lunch and I am good to go for the rest of the day. I tend to stay away from gluten-free baked goods as they tend to have more sugar and more calories than their gluten counterparts. I also eat a lot of Gwaltry Turkey Dogs. They are gluten free, as are Nathan's and Hebrew National, but they are way lower in fat and calories than the other two. I hope that helps somewhat. Feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me any time you have questions or need support!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    @Clew - I LOVE your profile pic. Is that you?
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I came to the realization that cutting out gluten may be the answer that I have been searching for. However at the time it seemed so overwhelming. What has gluten what doesnt?
    I have always been a fan of clean eating and truly understand the effects that processed foods and preservatives have on our overall health (not just weight)
    In July I began the paleo lifestyle and havent looked back. I have lost 31 lbs since July 9th. I found that eating paleo took all the guess work out of finding gluten free products. Occasionally I try to take a short cut and am quickly reminded of the importance of clean eating. Example..Last night I used bottled BBQ sauce instead of making my own. I didnt think about it having gluten, well Iet me assure you it does!! :)

I recommend researching the paleo lifestyle, I have never felt better in my life! (well not today bc of the stinking BBQ sauce)
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherri,

I've been eating gluten-free for a few week's now and it has made me feel so much better (mentally and physically). I eat a good amount of veggies and fruits, potatoes, rice, beans, eggs, meat, fish and dairy. (Found out last night that Olive Garden actually has a gluten free menu too!) I stay away from anything pre-packaged and it keeps it pretty easy. Definitely reading the labels on things helps - I found that although the item itself should be gluten-free, it may still contain it because of the way it's processed (noticed this with a can of black beans I was buying the other day).

I'm still figuring things out, but, it's a lot easier to do this together. Sent you a friend request :-)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Coming up on four years GF for me. I didn't have the symptoms you mentioned, though. I am Celiac and GI, though. I only get the dermatitis herpetiformis rash.

GF is a constant learning process and different strategies work for different folks. Mine is total avoidance and no substitutions, meaning if it has gluten, I don't eat it, and I don't eat any GF versions of things that would otherwise have gluten (so no GF cookies, cake, whatever unless someone, usually my wife's grandmother, makes it for me to be nice).

Best of luck to you.
  • sherri2304
    Options
    A year ago, I came to the realization that cutting out gluten may be the answer that I have been searching for. However at the time it seemed so overwhelming. What has gluten what doesnt?
    I have always been a fan of clean eating and truly understand the effects that processed foods and preservatives have on our overall health (not just weight)
    In July I began the paleo lifestyle and havent looked back. I have lost 31 lbs since July 9th. I found that eating paleo took all the guess work out of finding gluten free products. Occasionally I try to take a short cut and am quickly reminded of the importance of clean eating. Example..Last night I used bottled BBQ sauce instead of making my own. I didnt think about it having gluten, well Iet me assure you it does!! :)

I recommend researching the paleo lifestyle, I have never felt better in my life! (well not today bc of the stinking BBQ sauce)

i know the feeling love bloody mcdonalds stuffed me up a few weeks ago i had the lamb burger no bun an i specifically asked the kitchen staff an manager to double check there was no bloddy bread crumbs in the meat they assure me there wasnt i ate the bloody thing an by god it was delicious an well an hour later i was in agony decided to jump on the maccas website an what do u know breadcrumbs in the lamb patty cheeky buggers i wasnt impressed it took 3 bloody days to recover grrrrrr

an well to be completely honest ive never bothered watching what i eat i always said id prefer to enjoy what i eat an live a short life rather than force vegies down my throat an live a long life! well 6 months ago i had a big wake up call i can now see the major effects its had on my life particuly my mental health an now im doing everything i can do to know what im eating an making sure its a good choice for both myself an my precious lil man, i havent yet lost any weight on the scales but i already look a lil better a lil healthier an im feeling a lil better an im only 3 months gluten free well excluding my lil issue with mcdonalds lol how long did it take till u noticed major changes in ur life after starting the gluten free??
  • lobbyart
    lobbyart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've JUST started with a gluten detox... I've had to come to the realization that gluten sensitivity might be the culprit in my long-term illness. I hopped on the scale this morning and I'm down 2 lbs from yesterday. I still feel like crap from the detox, but I'm definitely noticing positive changes, too!

I'd love any advice or resources from the more experienced, though. Esp vegetarian options!
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

i know the feeling love bloody mcdonalds stuffed me up a few weeks ago i had the lamb burger no bun an i specifically asked the kitchen staff an manager to double check there was no bloddy bread crumbs in the meat they assure me there wasnt i ate the bloody thing an by god it was delicious an well an hour later i was in agony decided to jump on the maccas website an what do u know breadcrumbs in the lamb patty cheeky buggers i wasnt impressed it took 3 bloody days to recover grrrrrr

an well to be completely honest ive never bothered watching what i eat i always said id prefer to enjoy what i eat an live a short life rather than force vegies down my throat an live a long life! well 6 months ago i had a big wake up call i can now see the major effects its had on my life particuly my mental health an now im doing everything i can do to know what im eating an making sure its a good choice for both myself an my precious lil man, i havent yet lost any weight on the scales but i already look a lil better a lil healthier an im feeling a lil better an im only 3 months gluten free well excluding my lil issue with mcdonalds lol how long did it take till u noticed major changes in ur life after starting the gluten free??

Im learning you cant trust any food you dont make yourself. Which is a real crapper bc that means I make every meal I eat.
    For me I noticed a real difference after being gluten free for just 2 weeks. Over the years I have read a lot of real eye opening material on the effects of clean eating.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've been eating gluten free for a while now. I have found some products that I like. One product I use for a cup for cup sub. for flour is better batter flour. I have made a number of things with this and my family who does not eat gluten free could not tell that it was gluten free.
    I also have found a pasta that to me taste just like reg. pasta (and my family can not taste the difference with that either) I buy it on amazon it is organic too. Its called bionaturae.

I also like glutino's pretzels I think they taste better than reg pretzels

One thing that does drive me nuts though is the cost of gluten free products. Also I have yet to find a bread that I like. I am thinking of trying to make my own using a breadmaker and better batter flour
  • sherri2304
    Options
    I've been eating gluten free for a while now. I have found some products that I like. One product I use for a cup for cup sub. for flour is better batter flour. I have made a number of things with this and my family who does not eat gluten free could not tell that it was gluten free.
    I also have found a pasta that to me taste just like reg. pasta (and my family can not taste the difference with that either) I buy it on amazon it is organic too. Its called bionaturae.

I also like glutino's pretzels I think they taste better than reg pretzels

One thing that does drive me nuts though is the cost of gluten free products. Also I have yet to find a bread that I like. I am thinking of trying to make my own using a breadmaker and better batter flour

i definately agree with the cost its insane, insult to injury as far as i am concerned
    dont bother with the bread maker love my grandmother has one she made several loaves for me an my son when we were just at the very begining an they were ok but nothing like real bread more like sugerless cake, i live in australia so im not sure if any other countries have this but 'country life' has recently brought out a new loaf an its smells like bread an tastes as close to bread as i think u can get its just a lil heavier an a lil sticky not bad at all an much much better than home made its about $6.50 a loaf though but well worth it i think. i have also been substituting flours havent had any major issues so far an i too have made several baked goods an had the same response from those non gluten free people thank god lol
  • pookaroo78
    pookaroo78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me to go gluten free as of next week, to see if I would feel better...I guess I will learn as I go as well!:wink:
  • midnight333
    Options
    Great info to learn, thanks to all:)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do gluten free as well. I don't have any health reasons that make it a requirement for me. I just don't usually eat those foods anyway. When I went vegan at the beginning of this month, I gave it up for good. :)
  • MommyImHungry
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 1 yr now because of celiac like symptoms the past few years. Going GF has quit all those synptoms for me and I've never felt better. My celiacs bloodwork came back neg though but I was already eating GF for months. I make almost all of my own food (and blog about it at Mommy? I'm Hungry) if anyone is interested in how I change normal recipes to GF or need recipes to make. I try to stay away from already made GF products because they are high in carbs and I'm also type 2 diabetic so that's a big no no. Anyways feel to follow along with me I'm happy to share stories!