Sugar in Fruit

Options
So I'm aware some fruits have a lot of sugar in them... but it's healthy, right? Because I have an apple pretty much everyday and it alone always puts my sugar points over by 10.
Opinions?

Replies

• mgodby86
    mgodby86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A book I am currently reading talks a lot about sugars, and says that unless you have health problems that require you to monitor all sugars, ADDED sugars are what you need to worry about, NOT the sugars in things like fruit and milk. I was happy to read this because I eat a ton of fruit and my sugar is always way high too.
  • caityjean
    caityjean Posts: 40
    Options
    yay! thanks so much, that's a huge relief. it's hard enough to cut down added sugars, i would have hated to part with the natural ones too! haha.
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The whole fruit sugar thing really confuses me, i'm just going to have to let it go because 2 apples basically puts me over.
    and I am seriouly on a fruit kick right now.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil. Not in the least. And it certainly doesn't cause one to be fat. The idea that fruit might be bad for you b/c it has sugar in it is alarming, to say the least.

It's the process crapped that you should try your best to minimize, as has been noted above. But even that's not going to cause you to gain fat in the face of a calorie deficit. Thermodynamics always apply. The processed stuff simply isn't the greatest in terms of nutritional quality.
  • caityjean
    caityjean Posts: 40
    Options
    Ya I know fruit isn't bad for me. I just wanted to know if I needed to watch the sugars as much as I do other foods.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil. Not in the least. And it certainly doesn't cause one to be fat. The idea that fruit might be bad for you b/c it has sugar in it is alarming, to say the least.

It's the process crapped that you should try your best to minimize, as has been noted above. But even that's not going to cause you to gain fat in the face of a calorie deficit. Thermodynamics always apply. The processed stuff simply isn't the greatest in terms of nutritional quality.

I wouldn't say it's only a nutritional issue- there are other health consequences that come from too much refined sugar. It's very hard on the body.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Nope. My rule of thumb is set calories according to your goal, fill said calories with adequate amounts of the essentials (protein, essential fats, and fibrous veggies). Once those things are accounted for the rest doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot. I recommend including *some*fruit each day and other carb sources will depend on the individual (goals, intolerances, training, etc.)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's only a nutritional issue- there are other health consequences that come from too much refined sugar. It's very hard on the body.

By nutritional quality, I'm referring to health. Hence, the body.

Sorry for the miscommunication.