1400 cal too low?

Options
I am 18, 6'3, 320 pounds. I have recently been eating about 1400 cal's a day, and I went from 335 to 320 in less than two weeks. I was just wondering if this is going to hurt me right now? Or will this be fine until I'm down to about 290-300 then maybe raise it to like 1600-1700 a day? I also weight lift though, 4-5 days a week. Just normal, heavy lifting. No circuit training or nothing. I know my Micro nutrients should be fine, but the total amount of calories is extremely low, but does it really matter since I have so much fat to lose? Well, here's how my day usually goes.
11:30 am - 2 cups of oats, 1 banana. 3 fish oils, and my multi vitamin.
4:00 pm - Close to 10 oz of chicken or some meat, lot's of green beans/ broccoli, half a can of corn, onions, and usually 2-3 red potatos cut up with skin still on it, all boiled together.
Other than that I don't eat anything for the rest of the day.
Thanks so uch if you guy's respond and give me some advice! :DD

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's probably too low and you'll most likely get tired of it soon but it won't hurt you for a few weeks. It's just really hard to maintain that for any length of time.
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you're probably eventually going to plateau with that amount of calories, it seems a little too low. It'll probably work for a little bit but if you see yourself not losing anymore I'd shoot for 1600 like you said and see where that goes. (:
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 18, 6'3, 320 pounds.

Yes. You will lose a ton of muscle mass doing it that way. Right now you could probably lose weight at 2500 a day. I am 6' 220, and cut at 2200. There's no need to starve yourself. The faster you lose weight, the more loose skin you will have also.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    it is low. if u can bare it stay with it as long as possible then increase it if u need to. at 320lbs u can still loose alot of weight at 2500cal daily. good luck
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, far, far too low. I'd start around 2750 and adjust from there
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    1400 is too low,especialy with your weight lifting.

id eat around 2k.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm 135lbs and 5'6" female... If 1400 is too low for me, it's probably too low for you
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Just reading your menu plan makes me want to eat a chicken.
  • abbeyarmygirl
    abbeyarmygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That does sound way too low. Why don't you add some smaller sized snacks in the middle?

Try a couple of hard boiled egg whites in the middle of those meals, a protien shake between another meal or something like that.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 5'7", and 172lbs. I eat around 1400 and lose consistently. You definitely need much more than I do.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    stupid low
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and eat more than that.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used fat2fitradio.com to calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate). BMR is the minimum number of claories your body needs to maintain proper organ function if you were in a coma. It is an estimate for everyone, even if I knew all of your numbers (height, for example). So, I guessed your height at 5'11" an guessed your goal weight at 250 and it suggests your BMR is around 2839 calories (which means you should not eat below this number).

If I were you, I would go use two calculators on that site: Military body fat calculator and BMR calculator. You can get a solid estimate of the number of calories you should eat in a day. With the numbers I plugged in, it says if you live a sedentary lifestyle you should eat 2884 calories. If you are a little more active then you should eat around 3334 calories each day.

Obviously don't use those numbers, but you should go calculate for yourself and use the suggested numbers for a starting point. Recalculate every 10 pounds lost. Also, don't eat back exercise caloriesi you use this method. I jsut wanted to show you an example.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10, 249lb, and I eat 2100 cals a day and still lose. You are definitely way too low.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Alright here goes:

I was successful at loosing weight very fast at that and a bit lower with exercise. 140 lbs in 7 months. This, I know, will bring hate. To help mitigate the hate I'm going to say this: I would do things differently if given the chance. I would listen to people like Fire_Rock. You will be a bit happier with the results by eating more and incorporating resistance training during the weight loss period.

Example: When I was heavy and lifting I would bench 315. After my fast weight loss with low cal and cardio only my bench was down to 170 lbs. I've spent the last 6 months bulking to get my strength back. Bench press is just an example, all my lifts suffered. I'm slowly gaining my strength back (250 lbs standard grip bench). Meh, I'm getting there, again! I hope to get back up to the 3 plates I could move before.

If you take your time you'll be happier in the end. True story.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole can of corn, not just half.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That is pretty low for your height and weight! I eat that much and I'm 5'2 and 120!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'-7" male and I started at 1400/day starting weight ~200 lbs. I lost 2lbs./week easily at that.
    I now eat 2000/day and I'm still losing. Current weight: 168 lbs.