Can you really lose weight with yoga?

Options
The first time I tried yoga was when I did P90X. And I hated it...mostly because I could not bend/do majority of the moves. So I skipped it and opted for an extra cardio session on the yoga days. Lately I've been seeing a lot of groupon/lifebooker/living social offers for a month of unlimited hot yoga. It made me wonder if you can really lose weight with yoga. I don't think I would ever sign up for hot yoga because I hate anything over 80°F.

I'm kind of wanting to give yoga another try (using Yoga X), maybe start with 2x a week. I currently don't follow a specific program, but I try to have 2/3days of cardio and strength training upper and lower body on alternate days.

So thoughts/opinions/advice on yoga? Would love to hear your experiences with it if you used yoga for weight loss.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. This can be done with diet alone or with diet and exercise. As far as efficiency in burning calories, I don't think yoga would be near the top of the list.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. This can be done with diet alone or with diet and exercise. As far as efficiency in burning calories, I don't think yoga would be near the top of the list.

True. But, if you're looking for muscle definition, yoga is great because it's all bodyweight holds. Adding yoga to your routine wouldn't be detrimental.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. Whether or not you lose weight is doing to be dependent on whether or not you're eating at a deficit. There are definitely benefits to doing yoga including some body weight strength and promoting flexibility. That being said I only burn about 150 calories doing 60 minutes of yoga. The harder your heart pumps during a cardio exercise the more calories you burn, so the caloric burn from yoga is going to be far less than the caloric burn from say a stepping class or going out for a run.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^This!!!!!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Inspirational!
    It can be done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I did not enjoy Yoga X either. I was really long and I lost interest before the end every time. I prefer a 30-40 minute session.

I go to youtube, there are tons of videos of many different lengths.

Hot Yoga sounds miserable
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started my whole process doing Bob Harper's Weight Loss Yoga. It helped me develop a strength base helped me want to make better choices, got me in the habit of working out. I lost weight with it. Just pick what will help you stick with a program and grow from there.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This^^ I don't know if you are doing yoga to burn a lot of calories or for strength training - yoga might be better for strength and flexibility (I really am not entirely sure). But if you want to lose weight go into caloric deficit (within reason...).
  • naomidec
    Options
    Yoga is about the settling of the mind. The exercise and body toning benefits are a nice side effect. I find that Yoga gives me the right mind set to stick with my weigh tloss and health regime. Start with a Gentle Yoga class and build from there. I don't think you will regret it. The benefits are numerous..... even if not calorie burning. However, anytime you're doing something instead of nothing, we burn calories. Right?
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question YES! Yoga kicks my butt. Bikram Yoga is estimated at 1532 cal's/hour on MFP and that sounds about right to me (if not more).
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    From my experience.

Losing weight is a combination of increased physical activity and a managed daily diet.

Now, the "quick" way to add exercise to lose weight is to start a cardio routine to increase your heart rate and "burn" calories, while maintaining a healthy calorie deficit.

This being said, it is also a good idea to incorporate "strength" exercise into your routine. This is a slower weight loss tool but it has the benefit of adding lean muscle mass as you lose weight. A standard way to approach strength exercise is to go to the gym and lift weights. But, it is equally effective to work on strength through body weight & resistance training. Depending on the yoga you have been doing or want to do. You can build strength through yoga and this will help you lose weight. In addition it will improve your flexibility, your breathing (cardio endurance & control) and of course your strength.

So, if yoga interests you? Go for it! Give it a try and see if it fits with your life.

Most important: Have fun!
  • starjumper12
    Options
    yoga is very different that hot yoga. there's also a big difference between heated yoga and Bikram or Foundation. i don't like being hot and sweaty and i don't enjoy saunas, so i didn't think hot yoga would be for me, but when you get into really hot yoga it's an incredible experience. it's easier to actually perform the poses because your body is so warm, and it takes a lot of effort just to try to keep your breathing and your heart rate down... it's hard, but it's a great challenge.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    I do vinyasa yoga, not bikram. Not hot. It burns calories because you are constantly moving, *constantly*. And your heart rate really gets up there to the point where you go to child's pose just to stop the pounding and get your breath back.

Yoga also has built muscles in me where I did not have them from, say, running (arms, shoulders, back). As we know, muscle helps burn fat more than fat does.

Calories in, calories out. My yoga burns them.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I agree with a previous poster that said as long as you're burning calories and maintaining a deficit, you will lose weight. The first time I lost a significant amount of weight (around 20 pounds), the whole beginning of my journey I did nothing but yoga and some elliptical work at my gym, and I was losing steadily each week. Yoga was great for me because it was strength training without lifting weights, plus there was meditation involved and it lowered my stress level considerably. It also made me much more flexible, something that had always been an issue for me.

Maybe you could try a yoga video other than the one you have? It could be that particular routine rubbed you the wrong way, and something different would work better for you. And if you do try again and still don't like it, that's fine too. :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question YES! Yoga kicks my butt. Bikram Yoga is estimated at 1532 cal's/hour on MFP and that sounds about right to me (if not more).

1532 calories an hour? dafuq?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In my experience, yes yoga can help you create a calorie deficit, but it's not the best activity for calorie burn. It can also help you to improve your strength, but again, it's not the best thing for that. I'd say do yoga if you enjoy it, or you want to be more flexible, or you need a way of de-stressing. Some forms are definitely more energetic than others, so if you're interested, it might be worth trying a few different ones out.
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of yoga you do. Bikram supposedly burns a lot, but I don't enjoy it at all.

I do love Vinyasa and it burns a pretty decent amount of calories. Of course, it's not going to be like running or HIIT, but it's nothing to scoff at either.

A gentle yoga, Hatha yoga, etc. are going to burn less.

You'll be surprised at how much strength you can build if you work hard at yoga (or Pilates).

Bottom line, though, as others said, weight loss is about a caloric deficit. Yoga is not going to burn as many calories as high intensity cardio, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contribute to a deficit.

To me, what counts most is what you are going to stick with.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

True. But, if you're looking for muscle definition, yoga is great because it's all bodyweight holds. Adding yoga to your routine wouldn't be detrimental.
    Depends if he used the time for yoga instead of traditional lifting or cardio it could be at a loss of efficiency.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yup, along with a relativly heathy diet. I lost 30 lbs.
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I did 23min of yoga and was sweating more then when I go for a 70min walk....Yoga builds strength, balance and toning for sure. Yoga helps me control my breathing when I walk and work out. The key is to find what works best for you and what you can stick with.