When you've reached your goal...

Options
& you have people tell you that you've lost "too much" weight?! I'm the healthiest I've been in years and in the perfect weight range for my height. How do you deal with the critics? Is it jealously? Or is it honest concern? You can look and see I'm not "pro-eating disorder". I'm actually in the middle of my ideal BMI. What do you tell people that just try to bring you down? I have felt so confident about reaching my goal and now I'm starting to get the mindset of maybe it wouldn't hurt to gain a couple pounds! :( I don't want to think like that, it's just discouraging!!

Replies

• soumbos
    soumbos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No. Don't listen to people as long as:

Your focus is on eating healthy and exercising to improve your fitness. If your a healthy weight and your concern is to keep losing, then you should listen.

Congratulation on reaching your goal! Sounds like it's time for a new fitness goal??
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had that too and my husband announced at a party he thought I was skin and bones. I am not, but I'm very lean now. I started thinking the same thing you did about gaining a few pounds and quickly decided that I have worked way too hard to get where I am. I have set new goals for myself- one hundred pushups program, Arctic dash in December, Turkey Trot, and a half marathon with my brother and sister in law. I feel so much stronger when I set a goal and reach it.

Congratulations to you for reaching your goal! It is an amazing feeling :)
  • kscott0612
    kscott0612 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:

My focus now is not to lose anymore weight. Just maintain and be more "fit". New exercise goals, weight training, etc.

I'm trying to stay positive and drive on. Thank you for the support!!!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Are you happy in your body? If so, then don't worry about what other people think. If people say that you've lost too much weight, just tell them what you've said here, "actually, I'm in the perfect weight range for my height." It may well be jealousy rather than honest concern. Another issue is that so many people are overweight or obese, that it's now what people think of as being the norm. People in a normal BMI are now seen as "really thin," as opposed to what average should be.

Be happy with yourself and what you've accomplished!
  • kscott0612
    Options
    I had that too and my husband announced at a party he thought I was skin and bones. I am not, but I'm very lean now. I started thinking the same thing you did about gaining a few pounds and quickly decided that I have worked way too hard to get where I am. I have set new goals for myself- one hundred pushups program, Arctic dash in December, Turkey Trot, and a half marathon with my brother and sister in law. I feel so much stronger when I set a goal and reach it.

Congratulations to you for reaching your goal! It is an amazing feeling :)

It's so good to read that! Thank you. Someone who has been in my shoes! I don't want to put on weight! I've worked so hard to get it all off!! Now I want to be strong & fit! It's sad to say that i've let someone's opinion of me, make me actually think about GAINING again! Congrats on reaching your goal as well! It is a very AMAZING feeling! :wink:
  • kscott0612
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Are you happy in your body? If so, then don't worry about what other people think. If people say that you've lost too much weight, just tell them what you've said here, "actually, I'm in the perfect weight range for my height." It may well be jealousy rather than honest concern. Another issue is that so many people are overweight or obese, that it's now what people think of as being the norm. People in a normal BMI are now seen as "really thin," as opposed to what average should be.

You're exactly right! I just have to say that i'm healthy and happy with my weight. Maybe that's not where they are in life but i'm not going to let someone else's insecurities make me feel like i'm doing something wrong! I think you are exactly right when you say that being obese is just so acceptable and people feel that's "normal".
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing right now with my family. Everybody keeps telling me to stop losing weight because I look good. I started at 284 and weigh 186. For my height, I should weigh a max of 160 so I'm still considered overweight.

What you do: Realize that your the one who has to live in your body, not them. Do what makes you happy. I'm not going to stop losing weight just because people feel the need to comment.
  • kscott0612
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing right now with my family. Everybody keeps telling me to stop losing weight because I look good. I started at 284 and weigh 186. For my height, I should weigh a max of 160 so I'm still considered overweight.

What you do: Realize that your the one who has to live in your body, not them. Do what makes you happy. I'm not going to stop losing weight just because people feel the need to comment.

I've got to learn to toughen up! lol If I'm happy it doesn't matter what other people think! Let me add, the people making these comments to me are people who are unhealthy and could stand to lose 40lbs themselves! I have to stop carinig what these certain people think! Thank you for the support!!!
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    don't do it, i hear that all the time and my response is i am not too small; i am the right size for my height and i am healthier now than i was before. most people just don't know what to say.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Another issue is that so many people are overweight or obese, that it's now what people think of as being the norm. People in a normal BMI are now seen as "really thin," as opposed to what average should be.

THIS!! We are such an overweight society, healthy weight people are perceived as thin.

Congrats to you!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Thank them, say you've worked hard, and won't ruin your success over jealousy!

(I wouldn't actually say that, but I'd say it in my head!!)

Great job, congrats on your goal, screw everyone else, you look good!!