My toes are going a bit numb. . .

Options
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about toes going numb while working out. It's happened to me in the past and I just sort of ignored it but today after my run it was to the point where it was actually hurting. Not all of my toes go numb, just a few on each foot. It's so strange! Advice??

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to document every time it happens and what you were doing. Then go talk to you doctor and have some things tested. This happens to me every so often, and a lot of different things can cause the numbness. I know that isn't great advice, but you have to start somewhere. :-)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. Make sure you're not tying your laces too tight. As soon as I tied my shoes a little looser, the numbness pretty much disappeared.
  • mgodby86
    mgodby86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I get this sometimes too. I got it for a little while on the elliptical machine, but it eventually went away. Now I have switched to a different type of machine and am noticing it again. I too, only get it one foot, the left usually. It might have something to do with your shoes, as borkbork suggested.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. Make sure you're not tying your laces too tight. As soon as I tied my shoes a little looser, the numbness pretty much disappeared.

I had the same experience!! Plus I went up a half size in my running shoes. :smile:
  • czar1978
    czar1978 Posts: 83
    Options
    Yes; check your shoes. Proper fit is very important. I would suggest going to a shoe store where a professional can recommend shoes for your activity level, foot motion, arch height, etc. It will make a world of difference. Good luck! :smile:
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i have that problem when on the elliptical. its only my right foot but its my toes and part of my foot....i hate it!!! i have to take my shoe off just so i can finish! lol!! idk what wrong with me, but this is new since ive started exercising since i had my last child. in the past after having my other kids and i lost the weight i never had this happen. ive tried a new bigger pair of shoes and tying them loosely but its not working for me :( good luck!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It could be something as simple as ill-fitting shoes or as serious as a disc protrusion in the lumbar spine. I hope it is the former as I have had surgery for the latter and now have 2 rods and 12 pins in my lower back.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get this too and my response is only my opinon, I've never asked my doctor about it. I've been a runner for 20 years and I think it's always happened. It's normally just 1-2 toes per foot when it does happen. I've never been able to figure it out and I get fitted for running and gym shoes, buy special insoles and socks, don't tie my laces too tight, drink tons of water, stretch, etc. I've just decided it's part of exercise b/c it's never lasted past a workout (sometimes it's only 5-10 minutes of a long run) and isn't really painful, just annoying. If it's actual pain you should get it checked out, especially if you know you have good shoes and your laces aren't just too tight.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I get this occasionally on the elliptical...but I start raising my heel and incorporating more feet movement and it seems to go away
  • bjjmitchell1
    bjjmitchell1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shoes need to be bigger.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Ditto.
    Also, when I got my new (well.. they used to be new last September, time for more now) shoes, it took me about a week to break them in. Ouch, those were some painful workouts in the meantime.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I'm not to worried about the shoe part of it because it happens even if I'm on my elliptical without shoes. I might have to talk to my doctor. It was never painful before and today it hurt a little after my run but for only a couple of minutes. Thanks again everyone!!