Did you lose weight after

Options
getting off of your Anti-Depressants or birth control?

Replies

• laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the first but the second yes. Birth control has always made me gain weight so I have always lost weight after I stop taking it.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those things that vary widely from person to person. For me I always lost after getting off birth control (worked that way for my sister too). However when I went on anti-depressants I actually lost weight and when I got off of them I did gain but but probably more from moving back near my mom's good cooking!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Personally, I gain if I try going off my anti-depressants.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after going off of antidepressants. But I'm not sure it was becuse of the meds, or if it was because I started liking/respecting myself more. That's probably a chicken/egg question.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on either one of them long enough to make a difference. Hated them both.

Instead of anti-depressants, I simply quit binge drinking and for birth control, used condoms.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while takin antidepressants. Lost a little, but not much, after quitting them. I need them, however, so i take St. John's Wort and it works really well for me with no weight gain.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    After B/C yes!
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yup!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Didn't gain weight when on birth control, but it shot my blood pressure through the roof.
  • billuaa
    billuaa Posts: 56
    Options
    I gained weight while takin antidepressants. Lost a little, but not much, after quitting them. I need them, however, so i take St. John's Wort and it works really well for me with no weight gain.

If you dont mind me asking, what were you on before? At this point i feel i need them and am not sure it st.johns would work..
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after going off of antidepressants. But I'm not sure it was becuse of the meds, or if it was because I started liking/respecting myself more. That's probably a chicken/egg question.
    Hahaha!!! Same thing here, right about the time I stopped Zoloft I started my journey.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on either one of them long enough to make a difference. Hated them both.

Instead of anti-depressants, I simply quit binge drinking and for birth control, used condoms.

Love this^
  • luvScott
    luvScott Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds while on antidepressants. (I was underweight when I started.) Since going off them I've lost 15 and I'm hoping to lose another 15. It took a while though - I went of the meds in February and didn't start losing until about June.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight after stopping both.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Last time I got off birth control I gained like 35 pounds. Oh wait, that's because I was pregnant... LOL :laugh:

Seriously though, I gain weight going on it (BC) but I don't recall automatic weight loss going off it.
  • plymouth2119
    Options
    Yes yes yes, , I had the IUD , removed it and lost 84 lbs...was a size 18 in march of 2011,
    Now a very happy size 4 ....
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    Most antidepressants cause weight gain, about 90% of them actually. There are certain ones that do not but they are much more rare. Wellbutrin is the most common antidepressant that does not cause weight gain. Typically individuals will drop a few pounds after stopping antidepressants. Antipsychotic medications (for disorders such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, epilepsy) can actually cause significant weight gain, upwards of 25-80 lbs.

As far as birth control goes, I am not as well versed in the science of the side effects (I study psychiatry) but can say from experience I did not lose any weight when going off birth control. I also did not gain any on birth control to be fair. (I actually lost weight but was adamant about sticking to my diet at the time)