???Protein???

Options
Okay, so apparently I eat a lot of protein. Does anyone have any advice on protein consumption? My husband and I eat a lot of meat and I usually bring left-overs for my lunch at work. The last two days, I have been over by nearly 10 on my protein, but everything else has been under. Any insight from you all would be great. I don't know if I can really cut back on my intake by much.

Replies

• ninamaxine
    Options
    I've routinely ignored the automatic settings for proteins, carbs and fats on here and focused on calories - I agree, skewing toward protein makes me feel much better.

I got advice on here today to even increase my protein more and adjust the settings (under 'Goals') to reflect it so I'm not constantly over any more. It's really an individual thing, and unless you're too far under on protein or fat (or really, really low on carbs), I wouldn't worry about that particular number - we've got enough to worry about!
  • kurtybee
    kurtybee Posts: 17
    Options
    10 grams is not much. Extra protein doesn't hurt. It actually helps your muscles recover from work outs and helps you build nice lean muscle. Use that extra protein to get an extra kick in your workouts.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    A very general guideline to follow is roughly 1 gram per pound of estimated lean body mass. There are certain instances where I'd go higher and others where I'd go lower. But for most, this will be the sweet spot.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I consider the protien number that MFP gives you to be a minimum. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are exceeding your goal weight in grams of protein.
  • ginarocca
    Options
    Does anybody know how to change the recommended totals for the day, i.e. ADA recommends I eat no more than 25 g of fat and 35 g of protein but i can't see a way to change that on my daily log sheet. HELP!
  • jagrady13
    Options
    I have always calculated my protein intake on my body weight. You are supposed to eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Sometimes that's hard to do -- so, I'd say unless you are going over your bodyweight in grams, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine says I should have 58 grams of protein daily and I am consistently over that limit (usually double that amount). Just remember: protein helps your muscles recover and helps you maintain lean muscle mass. Good luck!! :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    you can change the carb-protein-fat ratio by setting custom goals.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have always calculated my protein intake on my body weight. You are supposed to eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

That's for lean folks.

For not-so-lean folks, it's better to use the 1g/lb of estimated lean body mass. Fat doesn't require protein for maintenance so for someone with loads of fat, the 1 g/lb of bodyweight tends to give inaccurate (as in overly high) recommendations.