NEW RICE IDEAS PLEASE :p

Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
I recently discovered that I LOVE BROWN RICE but I am not sure what to do with it to give it the best and most flavor and still keep it clean and healthy. (i.e. Low cal, low sodium, mod carbs ect.) Anyone have any great ideas!? :)

Replies

• slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    There is a great chicken fried rice recipe on the skinnytaste website. I have used it a lot.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    When we consumed carbs, we use rice for a lot of things as a side mainly. Dump Chicken recipes are wonderful served over rice. http://whenthedinnerbellrings.blogspot.com/2011/06/super-easy-way-to-getting-meals-ready.html

Just watch your rice consumption as it's been in the news lately with warnings about arsenic.
  • Amanda82691
    When we consumed carbs, we use rice for a lot of things as a side mainly. Dump Chicken recipes are wonderful served over rice. http://whenthedinnerbellrings.blogspot.com/2011/06/super-easy-way-to-getting-meals-ready.html

Just watch your rice consumption as it's been in the news lately with warnings about arsenic.

Yes I have heard about that. Thanks :)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    I love kedgeree, but haven't made it since I've been logging on MFP so have no idea what the calorie count would be.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Low sodium soy sauce and spring onions give it a lovely taste!

But I LOVE having brown rice as a breakfast with soy or almond milk, cinnamon, jam & nuts...YUM!
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Cook your long grain brown rice, after cooking is completed (around 45 minutes) add
    fresh squeezed lemon
    basil
    pepper
    and parm. cheese
    stir and done!
    makes for a very nice side dish or add to a bowl of veggie soup!
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Instead of water, I cook brown rice in chicken broth. It gives it a very nice flavor! Then I'll put a little Bragg's Amino Acids (like soy sauce, incase you haven't tried it) on it. Yummy!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    I mix in some low sodium tuna and fresh salsa, which is nice.

Also, if you cook some white rice with some fruit & nut trail mix and chopped up broccoli florets, it's deeelicious. A little high calorie because of the nuts, however.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Steam the brown rice, soak it for 15 mins before cooking. That's the low calories, no sodium, way. Eat it with stir fry chicken /pork/beef and vegetables - brocolli, cauliflower, Peppers, capsicum, etc, add a little of soya sauce or oyster sauce when stir fry to add flavoring or any other spices you like, add a little water to simmer. Top it on top of your brown rice.
  • Amanda82691
    Cook your long grain brown rice, after cooking is completed (around 45 minutes) add
    fresh squeezed lemon
    basil
    pepper
    and parm. cheese
    stir and done!
    makes for a very nice side dish or add to a bowl of veggie soup!

that sounds amazing!
  • Amanda82691
    Instead of water, I cook brown rice in chicken broth. It gives it a very nice flavor! Then I'll put a little Bragg's Amino Acids (like soy sauce, incase you haven't tried it) on it. Yummy!

I would of never thought of that, I will deff have to try that. But maybe in tomato juice I LOVE TOMATOS :)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    When cooking it, add a garlic clove, chunk of onion, chunk of fresh ginger. This way you can pull them out when it's done cooking. It will impart a ton of flavor! I also love to toss my rice with a whack of stir fry veggies, just let the frozen thaw out, and heat through, and toss in. Makes it feel like you are eating a ton more rice, quick fill, for fewer calories.

Also, have you ever tossed some salsa over your rice, just changes it up, with low calories. Some things to consider. :)
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    They have basmati brown rice! And I checked out the "dump" site - wow lots of recipes.
  • bluejuiseritsma
    bluejuiseritsma Posts: 28 Member
    I am Haitian, so rice is eaten practically everyday for me. I love making veggie rice. Just add some olive oil in a pot, saute some onions and garlic for about 2 mins (add a pinch of salt so they sweat and not brown). Add in any veggie you want and saute. (I like to add in carrots, corn, peas, sometimes chopped spinach) Add your favorite seasonings. Saute until it starts becoming tender. Add about 4 cups of water (Since I tend to make a big pot of rice. In my house a big pot of rice feed 4 people for about 3, 4 days. It's all we Haitians eat. lol. You can add Chicken broth if you like) Be sure to taste the water to make sure it has enough salt. Wait til water boils then add about 2-3cups of rice. Leave it on high until water on the surface evaporates (and rice is left). then cover and reduce to low. in about 20mins, you'll have delicious fluffy veggie rice!! Yum!! :) Hope that helps!
  • vcht
    vcht Posts: 17 Member
    hmm.. maybe you could try long bean rice?
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    I like the following with brown rice:

- Black beans and rice bowl with lettuce, tomato, salsa on top
    - Lazy sushi bowl—toss some brown rice with ginger and rice vinegar and soy sauce, then toss in shelled edamame, cucumber, avocado, and shredded nori sheets
    - Stuffed Bell Peppers with brown rice, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce
    - Rice with stir fried veggies in a little teriyaki marinade and tofu

:)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    I like the following with brown rice:

- Black beans and rice bowl with lettuce, tomato, salsa on top
    - Lazy sushi bowl—toss some brown rice with ginger and rice vinegar and soy sauce, then toss in shelled edamame, cucumber, avocado, and shredded nori sheets
    - Stuffed Bell Peppers with brown rice, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce
    - Rice with stir fried veggies in a little teriyaki marinade and tofu

:)

Yum! I love these ideas :)
  • snowoman17
    snowoman17 Posts: 3 Member
    I got this from sparkpeople.com recipes..Check the sight out. It has great receipes...not all lo calorie but good!

SW Ground Turkey & rice 1 skillet meal
    Submitted by: MAGIC10FINGERS

Introduction

Fast, easy 1 skillet meal the whole family is sure to love

Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 10
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients

1# ground lean turkey

2 cups water
    2 cups instant brown rice
    1 cup frozen sweet corn kernals
    2 tsp low sodium taco seasoning
    2 cups (or 1 jar) salsa

Directions

Brown ground turkey in large skillet. Drain any excess fat off. Add 2 cups water & 2 cups brown rice, bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 c. frozen kernals, taco seasoning, & salsa. After it comes to a boil again, cover, reduce heat & let simmer 5-10 min, until rice is tender.

Makes approx. (8) 1 cup servings.

Number of Servings:8
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    When I make rice, I make "beans" to go with it. My husband is Puerto Rican so Rice & Beans was a food very common in his household.
    Goya beans - 1 can + 1 can of water
    1/2 a small can of tomato sauce
    2 heaping TBL of Recaito (sold in a jar in your local food store)
    1 heaping TBL of Sofrito (sold in a jar in your local food store)
    1 Tsp minced garlic
    1 packet of Sazon con culantro y achoite (packet of seasoning in the area they sell the Recaito)
    Oregano and Basil to taste.

Put the beans and the sauce over the rice.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    I make my own "spanish rice" but don't like tomato chunks in my rice.

I take a can of fire roasted tomatoes and whirl them in a blender. Add enough water to come up with the appropriate amount of liquid required for the amount of rice being made. Add Chili powder (or chipolte powder) and cumin. It's quite good.