Replies

• WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad is my favorite.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ever had pozole? ("Poh-SOLE-ay", please do NOT say "puzzole", I'll slap you!) It sounds strange, but seriously it's super delicious, and with cooler weather coming up, it's a perfect comfort food.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-chicken-posole/

Yumm!! I absolutely love pozole!! Though Ive only ever had pork. Im a little scared to try and make the chicken one for fear I won't like it though I'm sure the bf would probably eat it all. I'll try it soon!

Also to the OP I'll suggest a Mexican rice made with brown rice. Feel free to message me for the recipe!
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump fot later
  • scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    going to try this one tonight - mmmm
  • ChristinaGrossruck
    Options
    My husband is from Aguascalientes, Mexico – there are a couple recipes that I have played with that he just absolutely loves and I like them because I know I am still eating healthy.

Turkey & Spinach Enchiladas

1lb extra-lean ground turkey breast
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2-3 chopped pieces garlic
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 box Green Giant frozen chopped spinach
    1 small can Old El Paso chopped green chiles, undrained
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    2-3 tbs fat-free sour cream
    ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
    1 can Old El Paso enchilada sauce
    8 flour tortillas

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, sauté turkey, garlic and onion in olive oil over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.

Stir in spinach, stirring until thawed. Add in green chiles, cumin, ¼ can of enchilada sauce, sour cream and 1/4 cup of the cheese.

Top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Roll up tortillas; place seam side down in baking dish. Spread the remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Chile Colorado

2 lbs. lean stew meat
    I med. onion – chopped
    2-3 garlic - chopped
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 tbs flour
    1 small can tomato sauce
    8 california dried red peppers
    1 can beef broth
    1 tsp cumin
    1-2 crushed dried oregano

While you sauté together the meat, olive oil, garlic and onions (med/high heat) – remove tops of dried chiles and remove seeds. Boil until soft remove most of the water leave some for blending. Liquefy in blender.

After meat is browned add flour and mix together, now add can of beef broth, tomato sauce, your chile sauce you just made, and all the spices. You may also add salt & pepper to taste.

Turn temp to low and let cook for another 30-45 minutes. Serve with chopped onions & cilantro. My husband eats his with tortillas. I just use a fork. ;) Less added carbs and calories. Have fun and enjoy,
  • rhondy1
    rhondy1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This recipe is courtesy of a friend of mine. Delicious and easy. With leftovers for lunches.

Mexican Chicken Rice Bake

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium white onion, finely chopped
    1 1/2 Cups chopped sweet peppers
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
    4 Cups cooked/steamed rice ( I use brown rice)
    1 Tablespoon ground cumin
    2 Cups chopped chicken breast
    1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
    1/2 Cup prepared Salsa
    1.5 cup corn, thawed
    1 can black beans (or any bean of choice), drained (optional)
    1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and peppers for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in cooked rice, season with cumin and reduce heat to low. Transfer mixed rice to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
    2. Place chicken breast into a medium skillet over medium heat. Season with Lawry’s, and salsa; mix and reduce heat to low. Pour corn over rice. Next layer the beans, cilantro, chicken and top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
    8 servings
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Here's a whole bunch of Mexican-style recipes for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/tag-south-beach/mexican/

One of my favorites is the Mexican Lasagna from South Beach Diet.
    It's a lot of work to make, but I love it, so I don't mind making it.
    Leftovers keep really well, so you can even have lunch for a couple days afterwards.
  • mizzkitty50
    Options
    Just posted a Southwest chicken chili recipe. Do we have to be friends for you to see?
  • lumpy75
    Options
    in general i would say limit or eliminate the cheese and sour cream. avacado is a nutritional marvel but can be a little high fat so i'd limit that too. try boneless skinless chicken breast instead of ground beef. use a pot instead of a pan. throw your chicken and taco seasoning into the pot, cover the chicken with water and simmer till you can shred the chicken. as you shred the chicken, reduce the cooking liquid to the consistency of a sauce. throw the chicken back in you've got some fantastic chicken tacos. also consider using corn tortillas with the beans as combining the amino acids in the two form a complete protein without all the fat and calories of meat. if you're looking for super easy, brown some chicken breasts for a few minutes on each side. throw them in a 13" by 9" pan with some salsa and bake at 350 for an hour. the shredded chicken also makes great enchiladas.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Making myself some al pastor tacos, roasted home made salsa and corn chips.
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tangoterry
    tangoterry Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mizzkitty50
    Options
    Miss Kitty's Southwest Chicken Chili ( Makes 12 x 3/4 cup servings) 140 calories per serving

3 boneless chicken breasts cooked and torn into bite size pieces
    1/2 onion chopped and sauteed until clear
    1 can chopped green chilies
    1 can Rotel chopped tomatoes
    3 cups chicken broth canned or homemade
    3/4 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp garlic
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp dried cilantro
    1/2 cup chili powder
    3/4 cup canned corn
    1 can kidney or black beans rinsed

Cook for at least 45 min on stove top and top with cheese or green onions. Very hearty and filling.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    bump
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump - I want help also!
  • KarinaaD
    Options
    Ceviche Mmmmmmmmmmmmm ^-^
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with replacing the meats with sea foods.

Last night I had a greek yogurt, spring salad mix, blue cheese crumbles (hold on with me here), with scallops that had been sattued in some red whine on the pan. Smear the shell with some hummus and call it love.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Chile en Nogada

Sour cream can be replaced by a yoghurt based sauce.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/chilerecipe1/r/chileennogada.htm

Look up mole, pozole, avocado soup, ceviche...
  • LisaRDavis
    Options
    love all the suggestions, will be trying some of these too.