Heart Rate Decreased?!

Options
Hi everyone, when I was in shape and healthy, I used my heart rate monitor for every work out. I gained 60 pounds, and for the first time in two years, broke it out during my workout today.

I thought that the more you weighed, and the more out of shape you were, the higher your heart rate when working out, because you body has more to move--it has to work harder.

I thought this was the reasoning as to why if I repeated the same workout, my heart rate would slowly decrease until it wasn't a workout anymore.

Anyway, I noticed my heart rate was pretty low--averaging 124 bpm. I'm at 190 pounds. I broke out my workout journals from two years ago, and the same workout, at 145 pounds, had an average bpm of 148! What gives? Could there be something going on with my heart?

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    First - Did you feel a flutter or any type of stress during the workout? If you did then you need to get a medical opinion and get an EKG done.

The other more likely possibility is that you need to change the batteries for the HRM.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Reread what you wrote. Buy a new heart rate monitor, perhaps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you simply cannot work out as hard as you did at a lower weight, especially if you have not been working out regularly through that time you put on the weight. Realize that HR during a workout is related both to how much weight you are carrying around and how intensely you are working out. I find when I change up workouts usually the first or second time through my HR is not as high as when I get the workout down. Then my HR goes up because the intensity goes up, then after that it goes down. This was especially the case when I started working out after a long layoff.

As suggested it may also be the batteries in the HRM or chest strap.
  • tarathfon
    Options
    Doh, you're all right. Come to think of it--I did see it flash the word "low" and thought, "Hmm, wonder if this is gonna need a new battery soon." Well, that's that! Any suggestions for good ones? Mine is missing a strap and worn as a necklace, so I might as well upgrade!
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT-7 that works really well. Before getting the polar FT-7, Amazon had sent me a women's polar ft-40 by accident, that was good too.