Why do people weigh themselves naked?

Options
know_your_worth
know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
This question isn't weight loss related, I'm just curious.

I've seen a lot of people mention this on here. Typically "in the morning, after I use the bathroom, naked." Morning and bathroom is understandable, but why the clothes?

I'm going to assume when you first wake up in the morning, you're not wearing snow boats and carhartts. Most people are probably already wearing something light weight - pjs, sweats, whatever.

How big of a difference can those clothes make? ( I'm not being sarcastic, this is a serious question. )

My way of thinking::: if you put the clothes on the scale...how much do they weigh?
Does it even register a number on the scale by itself?
Do your clothes weigh more when they're on you? (Okay, that one was sarcasm. Obviously they don't.)

I'm interested in knowing if this really makes a difference for anyone.

Replies

• super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes clothes can weigh lbs
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    try it...get on a digital scale, weigh...get off, strip down naked, get back on....was there a difference?

Not much, but there IS, and for people who are detail oriented, those 0.4 pounds or so do matter....

No, they don't really matter in the long term scheme of things, but at least naked you know you eliminate another factor for error. Like if you gained a pound, you can know for sure it wasn't because the sweats you have on today are heavier than the tshirt and yoga pants you had on last week...it's just a way for some to be as consistent and accurate as they possibly can.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It's titillating.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    tbh i typically weight naked because thats how i sleep. though when i do wear PJs or something ill take it off before weighing. i want to know what *I* weigh - not me+clothes. sometimes the clothes add less than a pound, sometimes more...and i dont know anyone who wears the exact same PJs every night. different clothes weigh different amounts. my tshirt weighs less than my fuzzy jammies i wear when its cold
    i think most people point out the naked part, just to be specific.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just like being naked, I might be naked now
  • ANewBeginning8512
    Options
    Why not? :grumble:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Because I'm not interested in how much my clothes weigh.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It's to minimize the variables as much as possible. If I'm trying to lose weight, I want it to be my body weight, not my clothes' or poop's weight.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Try weighing when you are wearing a pair of jeans.Clothes/shoes make a big difference
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Plain and Simple, so see how f**kin great we look naked. ;)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I sleep naked, why would I get dressed to weigh myself? What is it with people who get dressed to weigh themselves...weird
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    in my case

shoes weigh 500-800g

pants 400-600g

underwear 100g

tshirt 200g

+ I weigh the things in my pocket.

I weigh myself on a Pharmacy BMI machine, so I'm naked under my clothes.

*all items weighed on a kitchen scale.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It's to minimize the variables as much as possible. If I'm trying to lose weight, I want it to be my body weight, not my clothes' or poop's weight.

This. That way I don't have to wonder if the last time I weighed myself if I was wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts or my shorts and a tank top.

Plus, when you are bigger, the clothes are bigger...so they weigh more. I don't want to weigh my clothes, I want to weigh ME!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in my pjs because I use my wii fit board and always have an audience (a 3YO & 20-month old).
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel better. And the more time I'm naked the better.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I just use my mirror. :)
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

LOL to poop weight!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i wake up naked, use the bathroom naked, weigh naked, shower naked, and then start putting my clothes on

in that exact order.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My pajamas are like 200grams. (Yes I measured)

But I dont weigh myself naked. It doesnt have that much of an impact on the number. I can understand why people would though, especially if they want to be precise.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I sleep naked, why would I get dressed to weigh myself? What is it with people who get dressed to weigh themselves...weird

Not everyone sleeps naked?