Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Options
I have just been diagnosed with BDD.
BDD is where you see yourself completely differently to how you actually look in the mirror.
Does anyone else have this?
Having some support/motivation and coping tips would help (:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Never been diagnosed, but I'm sure I have had it to some degree. Sadly, it's always been that I thought I looked 'fine' even though I was obese. And now I'm normal, I see nothing but fat.

Ah, the brain can be really messed up at times...
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed with it. I have been up and down the scale so much that I have a very skewed image of how I see myself. I've also decided to try "No negative self-talk November" for myself. We'll see how that goes!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have this. It really pissed off my last boyfriend to the point that he just started being cruel about it.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The way I appear to myself in the mirror is the same way I've always looked to myself....286lbs or 193 lbs I still see the same thing.... It's very strange to me....maybe I have this as well. In pictures I literally don't recognize myself.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed with it. I have been up and down the scale so much that I have a very skewed image of how I see myself. I've also decided to try "No negative self-talk November" for myself. We'll see how that goes!

Love the idea of "No negative self-talk November"!!!!! I think I'm going to try that.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I deffinitely have this but I have no intention of going to the doctor to get help. I just have to train myself that I don't look all as bad as I might think!
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    pretty sure i do, worse some days more then others. ive never brought it up to a doctor cuz i hate bringing up personal things so i just avoid it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I deffinitely have this but I have no intention of going to the doctor to get help. I just have to train myself that I don't look all as bad as I might think!

Yeah I wouldn't have but mine is accompanied with depression and anxiety so kind of had to /:
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have this. I am 5'7" and weigh about 150, but when I look in the mirror, I see myself as being twice that size at least. It's awful. I haven't figured out how to overcome it yet. The only thing that helps me is sticking to plan 110% of the time and working out at least 2 hours a day. When I'm doing that, I feel better about myself and I feel smaller (though still not my true size). Otherwise, it's like I have on glasses that make me see myself as much, much, much larger than I actually am :( Hugs to you...
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has a degree of this because we're our own worst critics. I feel like everybody has something they'd like to change. I haven't been diagnosed with it though. I just keep thinking there has to be something about myself I can find that I like...Everybody tells me I have pretty eyes.
  • layla_luvyah
    layla_luvyah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think once you have some sort of disorder,especially when it comes to "an eating" one,it almost goes hand in hand. That's just my opinion, speaking from what I have gone through and experience.I continue to go through it and struggle,it's like a viscous cycle at times. I know since I have returned to this site, I have realized the open support you get from everyone here.
    We are fortunate to have one another. Good luck...we are here for you.:flowerforyou:
  • Bella_Bea
    Bella_Bea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just been told I have BDD too, I can't offer advice really but just thought I would let you know your not the only one! Are you undertaking any treatment?
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

Love the idea of "No negative self-talk November"!!!!! I think I'm going to try that.

^ I never heard of this either. I am going to try this and if you don't mind, I will pass it along. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i think alot of us do to some extent. . i know when i look in the mirror... i see a fat girl. i see ugly. even though i can get my *kitten* into a size 6/8 pant.. i still see a size 16.. some days i feel so bad about the way i look that i dont even want to leave the house. :(
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed, but when I look in the mirror all I can see is deep lines and black circles under my eyes and I think I look chronically sad and anguished, and I worry that my sagging face is contagious and will make everyone around me have a bad day. It sort of sucks, but I just grit my teeth and smile, be extra nice and kind to everyone hoping that despite this disease-face I have a positive impact on their day and make them smile :)