Calling vegetarians...

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
I'm looking for some low-sodium calorie-dense vegetarian recipes.

I am not 100% vegetarian, but I've just had no appetite for meat lately, and I'm trying to find nutrient-dense food that is more appetizing to me, particularly for lunch and dinner. I still eat dairy and eggs.

Generally, my lunches lately have been sandwiches (with lunchmeat), but I'm finding them not so appetizing and would like to find some vegetarian options for quick and easy lunches that pack well.

I'm also looking for some nutrient-dense dinner options.

Ideas?

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Here are some sandwich ideas...
    http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/sandwich-fillings.aspx

For sandwiches I usually put in homemade hummus (or rather I just blend chickpeas and lemon juice) and grated carrot :3
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Great ideas there! Thank you!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you are welcome to look at my diary for some ideas. I have gotten some great recipes off of cleaneatingmag.com those recipes help keep the sodium down.
  • daryabella
    Options
    http://www.findingvegan.com/
    I use this for a lot of my recipes... they're so yummy. Updated pretty often too.
  • phonypony
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for years and years. You learn good things to eat over time. Usually I just have cheese and salad sandwiches, fruit, leftover dinners, unsalted nuts/seeds, low fat yogurt, carrot sticks, hummus, salad and things like that for lunch.

River cottage has some amazing vege recipes.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/river-cottage-veg-recipes
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Egg with egg whites in the micro wave for high protein quick lunch. Makes a nice hot sandwich.
  • skar1it
    skar1it Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so I recently went vegetarian and this has been my favorite recipe so far. I crave it constantly. It's not super dense in calories, actually its about 117 calories a cup if you don't use cheese, avocado or lime juice (which i don't just to cut out the calories). But avocado is good with it and a good source of healthy calories if you like it. It makes about 12 servings in all. Also, I've noticed that one serving of Baked! Tostitos Scoops (about 16 chips) is the perfect amount for one serving of soup.

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 (1 lb) package frozen pepper and onion stir fry mix (Bird's Eye is the only brand I've found that has this)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1.5 tbsp ground cumin
    1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
    2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles, drained
    32 oz box vegetable broth
    1 cup water
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 (11 oz) can whole kernel corn
    1 can black beans
    tortilla chips
    1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (optional)
    1 avocado- peeled, pitted and diced (optional)
    Mexican Blend shredded cheese (optional)

Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic and cumin and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes and chiles. Pour in the broth and water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
    2. Mix corn and beans into the soup and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Serve in bowls over tortilla chips. Pour in lime juice and top with diced avocado and cheese.

Enjoy =)
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Egg with egg whites in the micro wave for high protein quick lunch. Makes a nice hot sandwich.

I never even thought to make an egg sandwich. (DERP)

I eat hard-boiled eggs daily so I have a pile of them I could use.

Good idea! Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the recipes, links, and ideas. Much appreciated!