This is hard.....

Options
This is one of my hardest fight ever. I keep trying but I just cant win.. GRRRRR.... Everyone keep telling me not to give up but I'm sooooo tired of this fight. Weight is always in my face and on my mind. I have PCOS and thats wat make me sooo mad. If I ate myself this way then its my fault but its because of PCOS that I'm here. And its because of PCOS losing weight is so hard. :mad: I really need to get over this feeling and stick with this because I wanna start a family. :cry: I really want a baby but not even that is pushing me.. :-(.. VENTING

Replies

• nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I don't know anything about PCOS but I have a mfp friend who lost 80 pounds and has PCOS and she is a huge fitness buff now...and damns her ovaries every month...beats them into submission with exercise :)

I hope you stay with it...one meal choice at a time. One exercise routine at a time. Its worth it. Really. Take care of you :)
  • bima80
    bima80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I don't know anything about PCOS but I have a mfp friend who lost 80 pounds and has PCOS and she is a huge fitness buff now...and damns her ovaries every month...beats them into submission with exercise :)

I hope you stay with it...one meal choice at a time. One exercise routine at a time. Its worth it. Really. Take care of you :)

Thnx :smile: I'm trying to stick to it... I need to..
  • scorepiyo
    scorepiyo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is definitely hard, but there is a huge payoff at the end, I've lost weight before and this is my second chapter, just make sure you don't let too many outside forces affect your decisions as far as when you go out and what not...mfp is a great tool, ramp up your friends for motivation and support, feel free to add me! Good luck with everything
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you have PCOS I really recommend not doing this via extreme calorie limits. I have no idea if you're doing this but it seems to be the common thing to do and since you're on this site I'll bring this up because I've met to many people in person and on this site with PCOS and their downfall was that they were trying to live on 1200 calories a day or a low calorie limit for their size. I've also seen people starting to lose weight by upping their calories.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Ive got PCOS too hun and its taken me 2 YEARS to lose 44lbs but im getting there and feeling so fit and great just now. Just stick at it hun. There are people out there who understand. Please feel free to add me xxx
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OK- I totally know where you're coming from, having a medical issue that makes you gain weight and makes it feel impossible to take it back off. Mine is thyroid disease, rather than PCOS, but in that aspect they're similar. So I have a few tips I've learned along the way

1) Persistence and dedication will win eventually. You have to stick with your program, more religiously than someone not facing a disease, but eventually you WILL win out.
    2) Do NOT compare yourself with other people's progress and success. Other people will lose weight faster and more easily, but you aren't competing with them- and doind so will lead to a defeatist attitude.
    3) Exercise. Lots of people can get away with weight loss by diet alone, but those of us who have suppressed metabolisms don't do well with that approach. Plus, it's both mentally and physically beneficial. Starting now, don't concentrate on the calorie burn. Yes, burning calories is important, but try concentrating on improving your fitness. If you are starting with walking as your only exercise- try to walk a little longer, or a little farther in the same time each day. Continual improvements will get you the burns you need. Download an app like endomondo that can track your time and speed so you have more to think about than just calories. Find a podcast or an audiobook or music that you like to listen to while you exercise so you look forward to that time. Have fun!
    4) Do your research on what types of diets work best for people with PCOS, and try to incorporate those principles. I spent a LOT of time in the beginning trying to figure out all the tricks to thyroid diets, and eventually they paid off!
    5) Start lifting weights. It will be the most beneficial use of time for your metabolism and fat loss goals, and you can accomplish it in about 1.5 hours a week (3 x 30mins, or 2 x 45 mins). I promise, you will thank me later. Start yesterday.
    6) Don't fall in to the trap of thinking you need to starve yourself because you have a suppressed metabolism. You really just need to be patient and find what works for you. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    7) #1 is so important it's worth repeating.

My first 6 weeks I didn't lose a single pound while I was figuring some of this stuff out. It was mind-blowingly frustrating, seeing my friends lose 10-15lbx in that time, but I stuck with it and found what worked for me. In sticking with it, I am close to my targets now. It is doable, you just gotta do it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK- I totally know where you're coming from, having a medical issue that makes you gain weight and makes it feel impossible to take it back off. Mine is thyroid disease, rather than PCOS, but in that aspect they're similar. So I have a few tips I've learned along the way

1) Persistence and dedication will win eventually. You have to stick with your program, more religiously than someone not facing a disease, but eventually you WILL win out.
    2) Do NOT compare yourself with other people's progress and success. Other people will lose weight faster and more easily, but you aren't competing with them- and doind so will lead to a defeatist attitude.
    3) Exercise. Lots of people can get away with weight loss by diet alone, but those of us who have suppressed metabolisms don't do well with that approach. Plus, it's both mentally and physically beneficial. Starting now, don't concentrate on the calorie burn. Yes, burning calories is important, but try concentrating on improving your fitness. If you are starting with walking as your only exercise- try to walk a little longer, or a little farther in the same time each day. Continual improvements will get you the burns you need. Download an app like endomondo that can track your time and speed so you have more to think about than just calories. Find a podcast or an audiobook or music that you like to listen to while you exercise so you look forward to that time. Have fun!
    4) Do your research on what types of diets work best for people with PCOS, and try to incorporate those principles. I spent a LOT of time in the beginning trying to figure out all the tricks to thyroid diets, and eventually they paid off!
    5) Start lifting weights. It will be the most beneficial use of time for your metabolism and fat loss goals, and you can accomplish it in about 1.5 hours a week (3 x 30mins, or 2 x 45 mins). I promise, you will thank me later. Start yesterday.
    6) Don't fall in to the trap of thinking you need to starve yourself because you have a suppressed metabolism. You really just need to be patient and find what works for you. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

My first 6 weeks I didn't lose a single pound while I was figuring some of this stuff out. It was mind-blowingly frustrating, seeing my friends lose 10-15lbx in that time, but I stuck with it and found what worked for me. In sticking with it, I am close to my targets now. It is doable, you just gotta do it!

^^Listen to this gal - she knows what she is talking about.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite quotes-

Losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, staying fat is hard; choose your hard.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

:heart:

A lot of this applies to people who don't have a metabolic problem as well! Just solid real advice here.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

^^Listen to this gal - she knows what she is talking about.
    ^^This 'cause I told her to reply to this thread because I knew she'd have good advice XD
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    As a Diabetic losing weight is hard, your meds sometimes make it hard to lose the weight and sometimes makes you hungry. Try different combinations of food, there is a combination out there for everyone and will help you lose weight. Persistence is so very important. Not giving in and doing what needs to be done. Research the heck out of anything that may help. I wish you luck and keep u s informed.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Yes to everything!! #2 is especially hard on a site like this, but it's important to find what works for you and keep experimenting until you do.

Also, if I might add #8 ... find some solid, motivational and fun friends on here to help you along the way. :heart: to Bean-a-licious!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Its all very simple. Start slow. Like first STOP drinking sodas, maybe even the juice like Poweraid and stuff. Just stick t WATER! Then start by doing 10 squats a day in the morning and then make it twice a day. That just a beginners tip. Once you have that down let me know