Hallowe'en Sweets

Options
First of all, I am Scottish, so in this post I will be referring to "guisers" who are small children who come round at Hallowe'en, sing a song or tell a joke or whatever, and get some sweets in return.

Anyway, it's always difficult to guess if I will get any guisers or not. My daughter and her friends are too old, and none of my friends have children. There are children in my street, including two next door who I know to say hello to. So it is possible that they might come, and bring their friends. And sometime you do just get unknown children who knock every door in the street. I would hate to have nothing in if anyone does come, but if I buy sweets and no-one comes - well of course I should put them straight in the bin but you and I both know I won't do that. I could give satsumas, but really, every kid is always disappointed to get a satsuma, you can't give monkey nuts these days because of the allergies, and as for money...that just reeks of the neighbour who was unprepared!

I could just go to the gym until after bedtime, I suppose!

Replies

• jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Also, by the way, I will be carving my lantern out of a turnip, which is damn hard work, and should be listed as exercise!!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't buy the sweets until the day of trick or treat and the next day either myself or my husband takes the leftovers to work. That way I only have 1 days damage to deal with.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i ate a bag of halloween candy last night...
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I won't be buying any candy- have not eaten that stuff for months and I won't be starting again because of Halloween. We probably will go out to the movies or something. The fact that strangers think it's ok to send their kids to demand sweets from neighbours they barely know is astonishing to me. Thankfully it is not a huge tradition here in Norway.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    My son would love to get a satsuma.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Handing out money isn't a bad idea. That was my absolute favorite treat to get as a kid.

Instead of candy, you could always buy some trinket toys or stickers and pass those out. At least you wouldn't have to worry about eating the leftovers, lol.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    How about mini bags of pretzels? Fruit snacks? Or Granola bars? Rice krispy treats? teddy grahams?
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I only buy candy that I don't like. Then if there is any left over I am probably not going to eat it unless REALLY desperate!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I turn all the lights off in the front of the house and pretend we're not home. Don't need to buy any sweets then!

As far as I'm concerned its begging with menaces. I wouldn't mind if it was little kids (with parents) who had made an effort to dress up but I've not seen one of those for many years. Its large groups of chavvy teens who may just throw a black bin bag round their shoulders if they can be "bovvered".
  • jennibee70
    Options
    I only buy candy that I don't like. Then if there is any left over I am probably not going to eat it unless REALLY desperate!

Oooo, I could just buy bounty bars! I only eat those, well, if I'm honest I eat them when I've run out of any other chocolate. But still, they would be harder to resist.
  • jennibee70
    Options
    How about mini bags of pretzels? Fruit snacks? Or Granola bars? Rice krispy treats? teddy grahams?

I'm not sure you get mini bags of pretzels here, and I have no idea what a teddy graham is, but the others are a maybe.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Do the children in Scotland get to use cute little erasers or decorative pencils at school? I have given those out before here, as well as stickers. This year I will be giving out candy, but plan to buy it on Halloween, and will only buy something I don't like. One lucky kid may get gobs of candy if I think they are the last on the street. I wish they did have to perform to get the candy, but the little mooches expect it just for walking up to the door.