What are?!?!?!?

Options
What are all the lean meats out their were you wouldn't even need to count the fat percentage. Like ground beef i know thats fatty... and such. But what are all the nice cutts of meat were you can get your protein and lose weight!

Replies

• DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I still log these, but they're on my safe foods list as a best choice...

Turkey: Ground turkey breast (not the 85/15 type) - 120 calories for 4oz
    Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breast (not dark meat) - 165 calories for 6oz
    Beef: Any roast that has "Round" in it, or sirloin steaks - 150 calories for 4oz

These are estimates, and pre-cooked weights.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    What are all the lean meats out their were you wouldn't even need to count the fat percentage. Like ground beef i know thats fatty... and such. But what are all the nice cutts of meat were you can get your protein and lose weight!

Chicken breast, turkey breast.. Hi protein, low fat. There's always fat.. Don't worry about that much, you still need fats (healthy fats), just don't go overboard and get the majority of it from healthy sources like peanuts, almonds, avocados etc.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Fish. Practically every kind. It has very little fat and the fats that it does have are all good for you.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I still log these, but they're on my safe foods list as a best choice...

Turkey: Ground turkey breast (not the 85/15 type) - 120 calories for 4oz
    Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breast (not dark meat) - 165 calories for 6oz
    Beef: Any roast that has "Round" in it, or sirloin steaks - 150 calories for 4oz

These are estimates, and pre-cooked weights.

Thanks for posting this. The calorie amounts for chicken breast in the database are all over the board. I tried researching it myself, and came up with different amounts from every website I checked. Can I ask where you got the info on the chicken, if you remember? I need to change my calculations, because I've been entering 282 calories for 6 oz.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Fish. Practically every kind. It has very little fat and the fats that it does have are all good for you.

That's true for white fish such as cod, haddock, hake etc but not true for oily fish such as Salmon, Trout, Herring, Mackerel etc...these oily fish are really good for you but are also heavy on calories.

In my opinion you are better off getting used to weighing and logging everything....it's so easy to under estimate things.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

If you think fat content is what makes you gain weight you've been grossly misinformed. There's a gigantic amount of fat in my diet and my health has improved and I've gotten smaller and ironically I've increased the ratio of fat. The suggestion on mfp is a suggestion based on the RDA as to what ratios can be eaten. What ratios you should eat varies greatly depending on who you ask, because they're suggestions, because there's no golden rule. If you ask me, the key is to eat things high in nutrients and make sure that includes lots of healthy fats. Many nutrients are fat soluble, there's no use eating lean and lots of vitamins if you're not absorbing them. Cutting out fat as much as possible isn't what makes you healthy or make you lose weight faster according to the science. In fact some studies suggest otherwise.

But I'm a fan of chicken breasts when it comes to lean meat :P

Also a suggestion for people who are terrified of bacon. Not saying it's the healthiest choice or you should eat it but the calories listed on the pack are suppose to represent the calories in package form (uncooked). Once you cook bacon you lose a lot of the calories because you're removing a portion of one of the macro nutrients.