Please review my maths?

Options
Hello, sorry this is so long, I wanted to make it thorough so I wouldn't have to ask 20 questions.
I've written up this plan to lose 8kg (16lb) by December 25, 2012. I am starting it tomorrow.
Is anyone experienced enough to double check my working out for me? Particularly, TDEE may have inaccuracy, net calories may be inadequate, and my protein:carb:fat ratio is 40:40:20, because it seems to keep me satisfied but hopefully won't cause liver problems.
I appreciate your time in advance.

Goal: Weigh 50kg by Christmas (this is an extreme but achievable goal)

Weight = 58kg (127lb), Time = 8 weeks, Speed = 1kg/week, 1kg=2lb

1lb fat=3500calories, 2lb =7000calories

To lose 2lb/week, need to have a deficit of 7000cal/week

7000cal/7days = 1000cal/day (required deficit)

Height=164cm (5"4')

BMR = 1400 (Body at rest)

TDEE = BMR x 1.2

= 1680 (daily activity, sedentary)

1680-1000 = 680 (cal/day, dieting alone)

1200cal/day is recommended minimum for adequate nutrition.

1200-680= 520

To eat the extra 520cal to make up for nutrition, burn 520cal with exercise daily.

1200cal in + 520cal out = 680cal net

= 1000cal deficit/day = 7000cal deficit/week = 2lb lost/week

Keep this consistent for 8 weeks and goal of 50kg will be achieved by December 25th.

The plan goes as follows:

EVERY DAY:

Burn 520cal = 30min cardio + 30min strength + 60min walk (also stretching + massage)

Eat 1200cal = 120g protein + 120g carbs + 27g fat

If I log food and exercise calories accurately, MFP will say I have 520cal remaining. That will signify a 1000calorie deficit.

Is this sustainable? With dedication and iron will, I believe so. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning Sun 28/10 after waking up and 7 days later on Sun 3/11.It will not be exact due to body fluctuations and inaccuracies in the above calculations, but weight lost should be 0.8-1kg. If I feel courage to continue, I will.

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Your math is correct...viciously unhealthy and completely unsustainable and probably on the verge on an eating disorder...but it is correct.

I'm very sorry if I sound rude, but this truly is unhealthy. Your body REQUIRES food to remain healthy. 1200/day is just a number you may need more or less then that...but you are suppose to at least NET 1200.

Your BMR is 1400 (as you state) so for your body to continue basic functions you should be NETTING 1400/day. Your BMR is what your body would require should you be in a coma (as in not awake, at all, for 24 hours a day). Eating consistently lower than this is damaging to your system.

You don't have much to lose in total, and if you follow your "math" you will probably lose what you want too. You won't be healthy when you're done, and when you start to eat again, you'll likely gain it all back.

Again, I'm sorry if I come off as being rude, but I really feel like we should all be trying to help each other and guide each other into better/healthier ways to lose weight. I'm not perfect either, I've done what you're suggesting, and when I started eating again I gained all my weight back. Please try to find a way to do this in a more healthy manner, you may not reach your goal by Christmas, but you'll be able to sustain your lifestyle/weight loss is you do this slower.
  • elsy_321
    elsy_321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it could be achievable but probably not sustainable.

You have to ask yourself why you're wanting to do this - looking at the date I assume you wanna be rockin' for Christmas which is fine (I am too) but living on such as strict program you will probably see yourself gaining the weight quickly once Christmas is over. Also will you be satisfied if you don't reach your goal?

That is really quite a harsh regime you have - exercising 2 hours a day and trying to maintain a lifestyle will be difficult - you may find yourself burning out quickly and remember rest days are just as important as you will find yourself sore the next day and under performing if you continuously exercise intensely daily without rest. You also wrote that your lifestyle is 'sedentary' so swapping to such a regime will be difficult, maybe try easing yourself into it over the first few weeks.

Also weight loss is not a linear think, just because the maths adds up doesn't mean your body is going to play along - if you're doing strength training then you may notice some muscle gain (which is a good thing because you'll look nice and toned but may not notice a change on the scales) For this I might suggest using another measurement - i.e. taking your hip and waist. In saying that muscle mass boasts your metabolism so definitely do it!

And I concur with the aforementioned about the caloric intake, MFP suggests a minimum 1200 net for your body to get the nutrients it needs, I think you will find yourself undernourished if your aiming this low and your metabolism will slow down to compensate, thus slowing down the process as your body tries to cope with being in a state of near starvation
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Losing 2lbs a week when you have so little to lose is probably not achievable, not in a healthy way anyway!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, it is extreme. And anything extreme is not healthy for the body as it constitutes a shock. So, I am concerned about you.

I decided to lose 15 pounds the first of August, and I've all but accomplished this in three months. I am 5 feet, 8 inches, and my weight was 160. My BMI and my body fat percentage were at the high end of healthy. Now, I am back out of the "danger zone" and did it with real food, exercise 5 days a week, at a controled, almost unnoticable rate. What is your BMI? Your body fat percentage? I've seen your photos, what will your BMI/body fat percentage be if you lose that much more?

I used to hate it when people would look at me and say "bah, what do you want to lose weight for!" So, I don't like to say that to others. If your goal BMI and body fat percentage are healthy by the standards of dietary science, then that is good. But, you really should re-evaluate the diet and exercise plan you have envisioned. It is not being very nice to yourself. It is not a healthy strategy.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your concern,
    OK it sounds more extreme than I thought it was, and obviously it's not a healthy approach since I would be under nourishing myself. I thought that you had to eat 1200 not NET 1200. It makes sense and I will have to put the goal date back quite a bit in order to do it sustainably. I want to be skinny for modelling and next year I'll be finished Uni and want to do something different that I've always wanted to do. My BMI is right in the middle of the healthy range but I want it to be down the lower end although not underweight. I was at that said BMI a couple years ago and was super happy and confident and made lots of friends in that time and had better well-being in general.
    I'll do the same routine but NET at 1200-1500 and take rest days when I need them.
    I'm sort of embarrassed about posting this now but thanks for the honesty I think you've saved me from future mistakes :)
  • at206155
    at206155 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey your stats are the same as mine!

I worked it out (took a while) that I might not be able to get to 50 kilos and that its just a number, now I'm working out the same and looking after the calories the same but doing some weights and yoga and doing the measuring rather than the scale!

Have lost a total of 12 cm in three weeks - but still weigh the same!

It hit me one day that I might not ever get to 50 kilos, just cos the bmi rating goes that low, it doesn't mean I can!

Am a bit happier, now that I've worked that out! Am happy at 55 (maybe 54) but getting stronger, leaner and fitter at the same time!