starting to get upset

Options
Ok I been doing this for 45+ days now. I log every bite i take no cheating on the logging. I work out 4-5 days a week and 96% of the time i am close to cal in take for the day.

What am i doing wrong.

yes this weeks food has been crappy. Been running a lot more then normal.

I was doing 1600 cal a day until trainer took me up to 2200 a day

Replies

• smilesalot1969
    Options
    did you take body measurements? often you can lose inches without the scale budging at all or even gaining weight.
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yep and nothing is really changing on that point eather
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So have you lost the 11lbs over the 45 days, or did you lose that in the first few weeks and have now stalled?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    1/2 your bodyweight in ounces of water daily, and 11lbs in 45 days is not bad at all. Remember we did not put all this weight on overnight and we will not lose it that way. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Ok I just had a look at your diary .............not a vegetable in sight. Really there is so much takeaway food which is not good and has to be extremely high in sodium. There are plenty of quick add calories ..for what? Try to cut down on the takeaway foods and start weighingand logging everything that goes in your mouth so you can get a better understanding of why you are not losing weight as you would like.

Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise.
  • seriouslypinkchick
    seriouslypinkchick Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am bit like this so i try and not eat over 1200 cals per day there are days when i have gone over and try to exercise for approx 35 mins a day 6 days a week usually do very little on a sunday its like a day off - another suggestion is cut back on carbs i have had weeks where i have had no carbs or very little carbs and lost i try to avoid bread and cereals as when i eat these often even included in my allowance for that day i tend not to really lose or lose very slowly like 2lb a mth - when i have tried so hard and hardly gone over my calories its heartbreaking - anyway add me as a friend if you like xx
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary I worry about your cholesterol.

I had a look at a few weeks, and you didn't seem to have more that 1 serving of fruit or vegetables in most close to all days.

it seems like a lot of processed foods. im not trying to be an *kitten*, im being honest.

weight loss is the goal, but overall health is really what its about. balance out your diet with more fish + 5 servings of vegetables (preferred) or fruit.

you are going in the right direction, its a long journey, maybe that is the next step. healthy eating should be a priority in all our lives.
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As I said this week has been crappy for food due to running all the time. It is normally not this bad.

the add stuff is normally veggies or cereal
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ok I just had a look at your diary .............not a vegetable in sight. Really there is so much takeaway food which is not good and has to be extremely high in sodium. There are plenty of quick add calories ..for what? Try to cut down on the takeaway foods and start weighingand logging everything that goes in your mouth so you can get a better understanding of why you are not losing weight as you would like.

Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Exactly THIS. Your diary shows a lot of full fat milk, mayonnaise, and sandwiches etc. Try switching to a lower fat milk if you drink a lot of it, cut out or switch to a low fat mayo (the majority of this product is fat). You are a house wife, which I presume means you are at home most of the day (apologies if I'm wrong), so it would be so much healthier if you prepared your own meals at home with as much fresh produce as possible. Use the recipe maker on MFP it's fantastic! Losing and maintaining weight means a lifestyle change and learning as you go. Quick added calories mean nothing if you can't see where those calories are coming from. Make a few changes, swap full fat for low fat, learn about carbs, protein and fat etc and and how your body uses them. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but it will pay off. I wish you every success - you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As I said this week has been crappy for food due to running all the time. It is normally not this bad.

I know you said this week was bad which is why I looked at a few random days, the 15th full of quick add calories and again on the 10th I think it was still heaps of takeaway.
  • nikilis
    Options

i looked back a good 3 weeks. either you aren't logging it or its in your Quick ads.

this is the opinion of a few people. the opinion you asked for.

listen to us honey. :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

Exactly THIS. Your diary shows a lot of full fat milk, mayonnaise, and sandwiches etc. Try switching to a lower fat milk if you drink a lot of it, cut out or switch to a low fat mayo (the majority of this product is fat). You are a house wife, which I presume means you are at home most of the day (apologies if I'm wrong), so it would be so much healthier if you prepared your own meals at home with as much fresh produce as possible. Use the recipe maker on MFP it's fantastic! Losing and maintaining weight means a lifestyle change and learning as you go. Quick added calories mean nothing if you can't see where those calories are coming from. Make a few changes, swap full fat for low fat, learn about carbs, protein and fat etc and and how your body uses them. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but it will pay off. I wish you every success - you can do it! :flowerforyou:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ON THE MONEY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • nikilis
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^ON THE MONEY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

for once, on a site fraught with disagreement and division, we have consensus. I have found closure. thank you all. so much.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for me...all those quick add calories would mean I am being lazy

if I ate like you with all that sodium and convenience food, I wouldnt lose weight either

start logging what you eat, there is no excuse for quick add calories with the huge data base here

stop going out to eat so much...you save money and avoid all that sodium

until you log everything with actual stuff you eat and not quick calorie option, you arent being honest with yourself
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    How do you work out your exercise calorie burnt?

MFP often over-estimates these, so if you're using their default calculations you may well be in reality you are/are more in the red.
    If you're also on a smaller deficit, you may well have used all that up quite quickly.

Me, I'd try lowering calories back down a bit and see if that made a difference.
    I do often eat 2200-3000 calories a day, but have to do a fair bit of exercise to "make that work".

Yesterday I ate 2865 calories.

But, I also cycled 16.8 miles
    Walked the dog 2.8 miles
    Did about 2 hours at the indoor rock climbing 'gym'.
    Did a 20 minute ab workout.

That kept me at around a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask, what's wrong with 11 lbs in 45 days? That's just shy of 2 lbs a week, which is a great goal for someone looking to lose.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask, what's wrong with 11 lbs in 45 days? That's just shy of 2 lbs a week, which is a great goal for someone looking to lose.

This.

Also when your sodium is high you'll retain water which will hide weight loss. Also if you just started exercising your muscles will retain water. Focus on cooking your meals at home. Weigh and measure everything, no estimating.

My other thought is to wonder whether you're using MFP's calorie estimates for exercise. They are notoriously inaccurate and could cause you to eat too many calories.

Overall just be really rigorous about logging-- no more quick add calories for awhile and make sure your exercise calories are correct. If you still don't make any progress then you need to start thinking about whether your calorie goal is correct.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A little bit unrelated but try low fat sour cream instead of mayo! It's actually delicious and only 40 calories per tablespoon, you can use much more of it than mayo
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Cut back on carbs to around 30-40 % of total calories. Increase protein to around 30-40% of total intake. Exercise at an intensity that has you breathing hard, red in the face and drenched in sweat. And eat lots and lots of veggies. All that you can stand and then some. That should get the scale moving again for you.

It usually just takes stepping up the intensity to get things going.

Also, how well do you sleep? Lack of sleep can cause weight gain when all other things are equal.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I think you should stop quick-adding things. When you use Quick Add, you're basically relying on your own estimate rather than actually looking it up; besides that, you won't get any information aside from calories, and that can be a real detriment. You mentioned that you use it primarily for the vegetables that appear to be missing, but there's no reason for that. The nutrition information for vegetables is widely available in the database, all different brands, cooking methods, etc. Accuracy is your friend.

And really, I don't think there's anything wrong with your progress. 11 pounds in 6 weeks isn't bad at all. Sure, some lucky people do it faster, but there are others who'd be jealous of your rate of weight loss. Be happy with the success you're having rather than wishing it was even more.