I need to eat!

Options
So i've been having a really rocky week, emotionally and mentally. Ive continued to work out but I stopped eating all together. bad, i know. But when I have a lot on my mind and its really bad I'm not hungry and I cant think rationally. Feeling much better now. talked it over with some friends. Now I'm just trying to get back into a normal eating routine, the only problem is I cant seem to do it. I know i need over 1200 more calories today but I just cant eat anymore. My stomach hurts from eating carrots and french bread and I'm just so tired. I'm also horribly terrified to put all the weight back on and thats a big contributing factor. I know ive really done some damage by not eating lately. How do I fix it? my food options are very limited for now. I need to make time to go grocery shopping... and I need to make a list.
if anyone has any opinions on how I can break this "I dont feel like eating so i wont" kinda mood please do share. I'm losing weight but I know its all going to go right back on once i start eating again. I want to be healthy-- and this is NOT healthy.

Replies

• ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This doesn't directly answer your question but... while you're working back up to a healthy quantity of food, you can help by adding in small, high-calorie, nutritious foods. Nuts are a great way to add in calories without feeling like you're stuffing yourself. Add them to cereal, salad, whatever. Replace some of the lower-calorie items with the higher-calorie items (I'm not talking junk food, there are plenty of nutritionally dense foods that help to add calories) at least until you eat more and spread the calories out a bit.

Hopefully that helps your body to get out of that starvation mode.

Hope that helps! I'm curious to see what advice you get. I'm amazed by all the expertise and studied-opinions on here.

-Rusti
  • moxiemom
    moxiemom Posts: 1
    Options
    What about chocolate protein shakes? That is my standby when I know I need to eat but the motivation is not there. I also rely on the nutrition in a Starbucks cappuccino when I don't feel like eating. Not eating your minimum calories will bring your metabolism to a screeching halt! Get to the grocery store girl!
  • valeriecharles
    Options
    It sounds like you need to see a doctor. What you describe has traces of 'depression' written all over it. You are on the right track because at least you know your behaviors are not healthy. Remember that sometimes just talking things over with your friends is not enough and you should never put your health at risk! Good luck
  • beccastew22
    Options
    I don't know if it's helpful, but for me on the other end of the spectrum this matter of tracking has been a huge deal for me. Actually seeing it first written in my notebook and then all tallied up nice and neat for me on here in black and white has helped me to be waaaay more accountable with the foods that I'm choosing. Perhaps not seeing empty slots on your page will help you in both branching out on your food choices and just making the choice to eat period. Good luck!
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    Chicken and rice soup. Or any soup. Goes down easy, and may spark your appetite. Just don't beat yourself up, take care of you because you're worth it.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ....and how about some dipping oil for the french bread. Olive oil is much healthier than butter but will add a good amount of calories and is no more filling than the bread you're eating anyway. :)
  • momofaubrey
    Options
    You MUST eat or else you could potentially gain weight!

Protein shakes will fill you up and also give you some protein. Drink enough water as well. At night time your body acts as if it is hungry, but in fact you are dehydrated. The other suggestion was soup; which would also fill you up.

Get out and go shopping. Get healthy snacks and plan your meals just for the week.

Stop worrying and EAT!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    not sure where you live but safeway and a lot of grocery stores will deliver if you're too tight on time to go grocery shopping.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So i've been having a really rocky week, emotionally and mentally. Ive continued to work out but I stopped eating all together. bad, i know. But when I have a lot on my mind and its really bad I'm not hungry and I cant think rationally. Feeling much better now. talked it over with some friends. Now I'm just trying to get back into a normal eating routine, the only problem is I cant seem to do it. I know i need over 1200 more calories today but I just cant eat anymore. My stomach hurts from eating carrots and french bread and I'm just so tired. I'm also horribly terrified to put all the weight back on and thats a big contributing factor. I know ive really done some damage by not eating lately. How do I fix it? my food options are very limited for now. I need to make time to go grocery shopping... and I need to make a list.
    if anyone has any opinions on how I can break this "I dont feel like eating so i wont" kinda mood please do share. I'm losing weight but I know its all going to go right back on once i start eating again. I want to be healthy-- and this is NOT healthy.

Kas,

I know exactly how you feel. I can't eat when I'm severly stressed or hit a depressive episode either. It physically hurts because of how tight everything gets, including my stomach muscles. Everything balls up into a big knot and trying to force food into that mess is just not worth it (or so it seems in the moment). Personally, I have to wait until my physical being relaxes enough to manage food and then I start very, very small and always with very simple, light things - often carbs because they're so easy on your system like saltine crackers, a piece of plain wheat bread or if I think I can handle it - part of a banana. Anything VERY base, avoid anything acidic.

Like another poster said, don't beat yourself up... take your time. If it's only been a few days, you'll be okay and your system will right itself as long as you take care of it the way it needs you to. Your psychological and emotional well being are just as important - if not more important - than your physical. If your psyche is out of whack, then there's no opportunity to care for the physical. We are adaptable beings, after all. So, deal with what you've got to deal with - your habits are in place and that's the most critical. We all have bumps and stumbles that can throw us off track a bit; being too hard on yourself just adds more pressure to a difficult or painful situation - who needs that?

I sincerely hope whatever it is that has caused so much distress for you is truly resolved(ing) and if the feelings you're experiencing last more than 3 months, find someone to talk to. It may still be temporary and some added perspective may be helpful at that stage. Sleep, eat what you can, and work your way back up. You'll get there - no doubt about it. :-) Feel free to friend if you'd like to talk.