What foods do NOT work for you?

Options

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    Options
    Pork is my enemy, mostly because it has so much sodium in it. I bloat up with all the salt and feel gross the next day.

I don't think pork is naturally a high sodium product - it's only when the supermarkets inject it with salt water. Could you buy from a nice local supplier who doesn't mess with it like that?
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Eggs. I get terrible stomach cramps that last at least 6 hours if I eat eggs plain (cooked into things is fine like egg fried rice or cake although I've given those up too due to calorie content). I love eggs but I can't afford to spend all day curled up into a ball :cry:
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have IBS so my do not eat list is massive and even when I don't eat the bad foods I'm still bloated and sloshy as I call it (like when you move you feel like your foods sloshing around in your stomach like water in a bucket) so the short list is

Wheat
    Eggs
    Oats
    Pork
    Milk
    Cheese
    Noodles
    Creamy sauces
    Alcohol (I'm intolerant)
    Beans cos they taste like poo and the texture is very weird
    Anything wholemeal
    Anything too spicy
    Nothing too citrus like oranges, lemon etc.

I think thats it! Some of the things on my list I just eat anyway cos I feel like crap all the time no matter what I eat so I might as well just eat what I want.

What do you eat and do you get enough nutrients?

I had IBS and lived on crisps, toast and the occasional hotdog for about a year as it was the only things that didn't upset my system.

It took lots of different meds before I could eat veg again (pain free) My first salad was awesome!!

I learnt to find my trigger foods and now don't eat them. It is weird that processed food worked better for me than fresh!

I don't eat:
    Dairy
    meat
    MSG products
    no fruit juices before a meal but can drink them at any other times of the day
    alcohol
    caffeine
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my salt intake really low. Any large amount of sodium in food really bloats me and makes me feel terrible! Pizza as well, makes me feel horrible...probably from the salt, or maybe the cheese! I noticed if i eat large amounts of dairy at one time I get bad stomach cramps and poops all next day!
  • xenah
    xenah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!
    Awesome!
  • xenah
    xenah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dairy & Grains. Anything processed bloats my tummy.
    Have turned to coconut milk and roasting veggies, making interesting salads. We also have fish and eggs and all kinds of meat regularly.

If you have an iphone, check out the paleo diet recipes app. There is definitely planning involved when changing from processed foods to whole foods.
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my salt intake really low. Any large amount of sodium in food really bloats me and makes me feel terrible! Pizza as well, makes me feel horrible...probably from the salt, or maybe the cheese! I noticed if i eat large amounts of dairy at one time I get bad stomach cramps and poops all next day!

This just happened to me this morning and I was wondering what triggered it? But after reading this I'm thinking it was the slice of pizza I ate yesterday at work. At the time it just looked so delicious that I caved but I've been paying the price all day today :( Super bad cramping and the runs. I'm thinking maybe it was the grease in the pizza?? I've been eating super healthy for about a month now so maybe it's harder for my body to handle the "junk food" since it's gotten used to the good stuff like lean meats and non-fat dairy, etc.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid eating out whenever possible now. I just never feel that great when I do.

I also try to keep my potassium intake high and my sodium intake low to prevent pregnancy bloating that seems to happen so easily these days.

Other than that, it's just preference.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I can eat and drink anything. But wheat...too much and I'm a balloon.
    Anything deep fried makes me very nauseous...which is really, really bad since I occasionally like to hit greasy spoons for some burger and fries action.
    I can have carbonated stuff in moderation...which is good for my occasional pop or beer binge.
    I rarely eat junk food anyway (candy, chips, chocolate et cetera)
    Some veggies like peppers use to make me swell up and cramp really bad within minutes of eating it, but that's gotten a lot better now. Same with some grains.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    sugary snacks with no protein at same meal, anything with a bunch of chemicals in it, white flour, 90 percent of fast food, hamburger, corn-fed beef, pork, and unfortunately cabbage and beans. i so want to eat cabbage and beans more but no matter what i do, they hate me! Also mushrooms freak me out beyond words.

honestly the worst meal i could probably eat would be a commercial pizza (not homemade). i feel like they give me gastrointestinal problems and also make me want to pig out for days after. Dang it they taste soooo good though!
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know when I have artificial sweeteners I usually turn into a ravenous eating monster :)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    After years of suffering from IBS the main foods that trigger it are anything from the onion family, any fruit juice and diary especially cream. (Try going out to a restaurant and telling the server that you can't have onion or garlic in your pasta sauce etc.......it's a nightmare!)

Having found out in the last 4 weeks that i'm gluten intolerant I feel a heap better and am losing that sluggish yukky feeling that wheat, etc gives you. I'm wondering if this has been my major problem all along?? :flowerforyou:

LOL! i can relate.. my mom just doesnt like onion or garlic and we went to a very nice italian restaurant about 3 years ago... she asked the waitor if he could leave garlic and onion out of the spaghetti she ordered and he made a shocked face and went to get the chef... well when the chef arrived (very thick italian accent) he was so upset with her and was debating with her about it saying that spaghetti is not spaghetti without garlic or onion and if she would like a plate of noodles with a tomato on top he would gladly oblige... lol
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If I eat too many high protein things (like those protein shakes) I get the runs and BAD painful gas that makes my stomach bloat to twice it's normal size.

Ouch.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Food that I think taste bad don't work for me. Other than that, I fuel up well on a well-balanced diet. I am thankful to be able to eat all the foods that I think are yummy!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid white bread and cut my pasta down really... but the biggest one? Cereals! if I have a bowl of cereal in the morning hours I always put on a pound or two.
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I might have to put Chinese takeout on this list for me. I recently did a long hike, and celebrated by having takeout ... the indigestion kept me up all night, it was the worst feeling! :(
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I switched to gluten free bread and can still eat bread and GF pizza's and cakes without getting bloated. I decided to stay wheat free for life. I've been on it since last year anyway so got used to the taste of GF bread.

My tummy is still shrinking and weight dropping!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I went paleo on tuesday, so I gave up dairy which means cheese..and believe me i love cheese lol...however I feel awesome, usually every day I felt bloated , full, stomach just never right...since tuesday I haven't felt bloated once...feels great!! but I also gave up sugar and grains, so that being said Paleo is worth it for me to feel this good. Not missing that feeling one bit :happy:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Dairy & Grains. Anything processed bloats my tummy.
    Have turned to coconut milk and roasting veggies, making interesting salads. We also have fish and eggs and all kinds of meat regularly.

If you have an iphone, check out the paleo diet recipes app. There is definitely planning involved when changing from processed foods to whole foods.

its the way to go! I have been paleo for 5 days now, and all stomach issues are pretty much gone. And I was bloated every day from eating dairy, sugar and grains.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Since I went into menopause I can't stand the taste of eggs. They smell good and I make them for my family, but I take a little bite and about gag.