Are veggies all that great for you?

Options
Veggies, why eat them, I see very little protien in them, carbs yes,but what value do they really give you, fiber, not really, water I am sure, Ok, let me know your thoughts

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes. I make sure I get about 5 to 6 servings of veggies per day. I've lost 90 lbs.

So yes, they are very important, and will keep you fuller longer on fewer calories.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    They are nutrient dense.

A cooked broccoli stalk for example -
    Calories 98.0
    Fat 1.1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol - mg
    Sodium 114.8 mg
    Potassium 820.4 mg
    Carbohydrate 20.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
    Sugars 3.9 g
    Protein 6.7 g
    Vitamin A 87.0 %
    Vitamin C 303.0 %
    Calcium 11.0 %
    Iron 10.0 %
    Vitamin D - %
    Vitamin E 27.0 %
    Thiamin 12.0 %
    Riboflavin 20.0 %
    Niacin 8.0 %
    Vitamin B12 - %
    Vitamin B6 28.0 %
    Manganese 27.0 %
    Phosphorus 19.0 %
    Copper 9.0 %
    Selenium 6.0 %
    Magnesium 15.0 %
    Zinc 8.0 %
  • Semperfione
    Options
    Looking at your picture, where did you lose 90 lbs, my gosh girl put a before and after on here, proud of you!!!! Thanks for commenting :smile:
  • Semperfione
    Options
    They are nutrient dense.

Calories 98.0
    Fat 1.1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol - mg
    Sodium 114.8 mg
    Potassium 820.4 mg
    Carbohydrate 20.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
    Sugars 3.9 g
    Protein 6.7 g
    Vitamin A 87.0 %
    Vitamin C 303.0 %
    Calcium 11.0 %
    Iron 10.0 %
    Vitamin D - %
    Vitamin E 27.0 %
    Thiamin 12.0 %
    Riboflavin 20.0 %
    Niacin 8.0 %
    Vitamin B12 - %
    Vitamin B6 28.0 %
    Manganese 27.0 %
    Phosphorus 19.0 %
    Copper 9.0 %
    Selenium 6.0 %
    Magnesium 15.0 %
    Zinc 8.0 %
  • Semperfione
    Options
    They are nutrient dense.

Calories 98.0
    Fat 1.1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol - mg
    Sodium 114.8 mg
    Potassium 820.4 mg
    Carbohydrate 20.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
    Sugars 3.9 g
    Protein 6.7 g
    Vitamin A 87.0 %
    Vitamin C 303.0 %
    Calcium 11.0 %
    Iron 10.0 %
    Vitamin D - %
    Vitamin E 27.0 %
    Thiamin 12.0 %
    Riboflavin 20.0 %
    Niacin 8.0 %
    Vitamin B12 - %
    Vitamin B6 28.0 %
    Manganese 27.0 %
    Phosphorus 19.0 %
    Copper 9.0 %
    Selenium 6.0 %
    Magnesium 15.0 %
    Zinc 8.0 %
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Nutrients and Antioxidants. They carry a lot of water in them that extend the feelings of fullness. They're delicious. They promote health and have a variety of health benefits related to consumption - limit your inflammation response, reduce blood pressure, promote lean body mass, etc. Depending on the types of veggies you eat the concentrations of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Besides, humans are omnivorous, just because you don't like to consume them doesn't mean you can't.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    "It is remarkably widely accepted that fruit and vegetables are good for you. Three a day, five a day, nothing but fruit and vegetables all day..... The problem is that all of the evidence of benefit is epidemiological, and this never proves causation, merely association."

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2007/12/fruit-and-vegetables-re-post.html

There's quite a few interesting blogs on fruits and vegetables -- if you're interested in reading them look at the sidebar on the right for the links.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies. Tons. I'd eat them even if they weren't so great for you.

I hate fruit, and for the most part avoid it.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Veggies, why eat them, I see very little protien in them, carbs yes,but what value do they really give you, fiber, not really, water I am sure, Ok, let me know your thoughts

Like they've all said, vitamins! Your body needs more than carbs, protein, fiber and that jot. You need vitamins. I dealt with B shortage for awhile and now D shortage. Between fruits, veggies (especially!) and sunshine, you need to think outside the box of calories and get in the nutrients your body requires.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is so much more than carbs/protein/fat.

For example:

Bell peppers are an amazing source of vitamin C. There is more vitamin C in a bell pepper than an orange.

Bell pepper http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2536/2
    Orange http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1966/2

Chicken doesn't contain any vitamin C
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

You need vitamin C to use the nonheme iron you eat, nonheme iron is vegetation based iron i.e. beans.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    What if you didn't eat the beans? Would you still need as much vitamin C? That's the thrust of a lot of the blogs and whatnot that I've been reading -- we need massive amounts of vitamins and antioxidants because of our diet.

I don't know where I stand on the issue right now except that this focus on eating these quantities of fruits and vegetables is new and there aren't any good studies that actually show fruits and vegetables to be these wondrous things that every policy maker in the country thinks if we just eat more of we'd lose weight and be healthier. All the hoopla I heard growing up about antioxidants this and cancer fighting that turned out to be with out merit.