Being sober around drunk people isn't fun

Options
Something I'm learning.

I only drink moderately, and in social situations, to heighten the experience and fellow-feeling. Having gone out completely sober twice now, I am seeing what a useful thing it's been.

What are ways to enjoy an evening out with people who're drinking?

Replies

• santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Go home before they start acting stupid. Nothing ruins a night more than feeling like you are babysitting your friends.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, got me! lol, I agree. It makes me feel like Im missing out on some awesome party. Find another sober person that you enjoy being around and take em with you!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Decide to enjoy it. Let loose and be goofy regardless. Drink diet soda and pretend you're drunk ;)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Decide to enjoy it. Let loose and be goofy regardless. Drink diet soda and pretend you're drunk ;)

THIS! Exactly what I do when I'm not drinking. You will fit right in and be the only one who knows how stupid you all are. Big fun!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I hope that this doesn't sound judgemental, but why do you people need alcohol to have fun? sure it loosens one up but after awhile it becomes a crutch.

i tend to hang out with people who dont feel the need to get drunk - they can drink without going overboard. that way we all have fun.

its childish and lame to go out and just get drunk. IMO.

:drinker:
  • nsb999
    nsb999 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I abstain from alcohol but all of my friends drink alcohol.

I suggest that you let them know that you do not drink alcohol. Knowing that, they will hopefully be hospitable and pick a place not just for sitting down and getting drunk but where there are a wider variety of things to do non-alcohol related. Hopefully they won't pressure you to drink alcohol either too!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    When they're not annoying drunk yet, it's actually quite fun to mess with them.

One thing you can do is talk to them. While you are talking to them, keep looking at them straight and keep talking, but just slightly sway from side to side. That messes with them.

Every time they turn away from their drink, move the drink a couple of inches or pour some of their drink into another glass.

Mumble something and when they ask what you are saying, say something completely different.

I can't have alcohol, so I have become quite good at entertaining myself around drunk people ;).
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    it's not as hard as i thought it would be. but, i like to cut out once they start getting stupid drunk because you can't relate anymore and it just gets dumb. you can't even have a conversation with anyone. so, i just say i gotta go. i don't get invited out much anymore, so i'm looking for new sober friends that do other things besides sit in a bar all day and night, when it's beautiful outside and there's tons of other stuff to do.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I take pictures or video of them when they get really wasted. Always fun to show a hungover friend exactly how they got that bruise. I also don't hold hair, or carry shoes.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love watching them make azzes of themselves! It's quite entertaining. I think about how miserable tomorrow will be with their hangovers while me on the other hand feels great!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Oh man.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? That is like the most fun you can have messing with drunk people, they have no logic or anything, you can take them to crazy town and back and you can blame them for it.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    it's not as hard as i thought it would be. but, i like to cut out once they start getting stupid drunk because you can't relate anymore and it just gets dumb. you can't even have a conversation with anyone. so, i just say i gotta go. i don't get invited out much anymore, so i'm looking for new sober friends that do other things besides sit in a bar all day and night, when it's beautiful outside and there's tons of other stuff to do.
    This^ I'm becoming closer with my friends who like to workout, and less close to the ones who like to just party all the time.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi, well I have to admit I drink, but there are times when I go out I dont have a drink since I dont need a drink to enjoy myself. No its not nice but all you can do is have fun and enjoy yourself, as long has no one is been horrible and nasty, have fun with them:smile:
  • harrietsmama
    Options
    I tend to struggle with this as well, but I have found it is well worth making stronger connections with other non-drinkers. We go out for coffee or tea instead and talk and laugh. We have Crapfting parties ( you get a bunch of crafty supplies and make stuff with no goal of making anything of value) We have potlucks. I don't know if you have children yet or not, but this is all stuff that has happened through a mommy group I joined. Well, the dads participate in the irl stuff too, and a little on the forum. I'm sure there are other social communities that aren't primarily parenting focused out there too. The thing about the parenting ones is that a lot of the moms are nursing, hence no alcohol.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Great answers, thanks!

Annoyingly, a lot of the things I enjoy take place at night, often in drinking environments.

I can get with leaving at the witching hour, bringing another sober friend, deciding to loosen up - interesting challenge, actually - and enjoying my friend's silliness, a bit. I'm not really into messing with people, but hey, if it gets you through the night and no one sues you, good on you :)

I look forward to crafting with moms when I'm myself a mom - not my demographic yet :)

(Just to be perverse: in defense of *moderate* drinking - vs aiming for oblivion - there's rarely been a time in human history when people haven't used some substance or other to decrease inhibitions, maximize social bonding, etc. For those *who can safely drink* - and want to - it's as much of a crutch as a car, imo. Just one of many tools, with its own risks and benefits, that people use to do things they decide are important, and social bonding is arguably important.)
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've admittedly got alcohol problems, so I'm in recovery after four years or so of drinking hard, the past year was non stop drinking. However I've been teetotal, mostly, for about two months now. Went out drinking last weekend, reluctantly, and realised I just couldn't drink like others do and in a calm way, so. I feel sober even when drunk and have a very high tolerance. My solution? Pick the right people to go out with and sometimes remember, even if you did drink, doesn't mean it'd be fun like they seem to be having.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The most fun I have is being sober in a room full of drunk people. It's entertaining, for the most part. I can still have a good time, knowing that when I wake up the next day I will feel alot better than they will!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

THIS! Exactly what I do when I'm not drinking. You will fit right in and be the only one who knows how stupid you all are. Big fun!

Agreed! I had to learn how to have fun sober after drinking EVERYTIME prior.. took a few times.. but I just let loose, who cares what you act like because we all know your friends won't remember it anyways hahaha.. eventually I found myself being the last person out at the bar.. ME.. the sober one.. last one at the bar.. lol
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I've admittedly got alcohol problems, so I'm in recovery after four years or so of drinking hard, the past year was non stop drinking. However I've been teetotal, mostly, for about two months now. Went out drinking last weekend, reluctantly, and realised I just couldn't drink like others do and in a calm way, so. I feel sober even when drunk and have a very high tolerance. My solution? Pick the right people to go out with and sometimes remember, even if you did drink, doesn't mean it'd be fun like they seem to be having.

Well done, crazehjess. That takes real strength :) Good advice, thank you.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Great answers, thanks!

Annoyingly, a lot of the things I enjoy take place at night, often in drinking environments.

I can get with leaving at the witching hour, bringing another sober friend, deciding to loosen up - interesting challenge, actually - and enjoying my friend's silliness, a bit. I'm not really into messing with people, but hey, if it gets you through the night and no one sues you, good on you :)

I look forward to crafting with moms when I'm myself a mom - not my demographic yet :)

(Just to be perverse: in defense of *moderate* drinking - vs aiming for oblivion - there's rarely been a time in human history when people haven't used some substance or other to decrease inhibitions, maximize social bonding, etc. For those *who can safely drink* - and want to - it's as much of a crutch as a car, imo. Just one of many tools, with its own risks and benefits, that people use to do things they decide are important, and social bonding is arguably important.)

I like your style.