Fish Recommendations

Options
I am trying to find more fish selections for my protein portions. I would love some recommendations.

1. Allergic to shellfish so no shrimp, lobster, crawfish, scallops, etc.
2. Allergic to clams and mussels and the like
3. Allergic to Salmon

Fish I don't like
1. American catfish
2. Cod
3. Flounder

Fish I do like
1. Swai
2. Tilapia (can never spell it but its great as a taco LOL)

Any fish that will hold up during a pan saute with breadcrumb crust is welcomed. Im not big on a really fishy tasting fish.

Thanks for any recommendations

Replies

• wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about putting it in breadcrumbs as in my opinion that would spoil it but I would recommend seabass or sea bream. Seabass has quite a delicate flavour so isn't over 'fishy', whereas sea bream has a 'drier' meatier flavour. I have no idea what swai is let alone what it tastes like though I think I have had tilapia once.

Hope that helps.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Salmon, mahi mahi, tuna steaks, shark, and bass.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Hallibut? Its a meatier fish so it holds up well to a pan saute & breadcrumb crusting. It also doesn't have a "fishy" taste to it either, very yummy.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I believe that the key to Tilapia is how you season it. Season it well, and you've got some good meals.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Halibut.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    We like tuna steak marinated in light Italian dressing over night then grilled. It is the only fish my hubby will eat.

Haddock I like sautéed with lemon pepper or garlic

Pollock baked

I remember my dad cooking swordfish when I was younger and I liked it just make sure to remove the skin before cooking it, my dad says the skin gives it a funky flavor.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have the same allergies, makes joining friends for Chinese dicey sometimes. I also don't like fishy fish. I started eating tillapia and my new favorite is basa loin. I found them at costco on sale one day in the freezer section and it is even less fishy then the tillapia. I put it in a pan and pour realmon lemon over it, cover it with Mrs. Dash and sliced onions, then I pile fresh spinach on top, throw on a lid and walk away for 20 min. So easy and so good. To my surprise my whole family loves it and actually requests it for dinners. Each meaty loin only 90 calories. It has become a regular part of the grocery list.
  • Halibut definitely!
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, you already listed the two main ones I eat, Swai and Talapia. But try this. Get some Chia seeds (preferably organic) and grind them in a coffee grinder (or find them already grounded) and dip your fish in the chia powder. I love it that way and is super healthy. If you have trouble getting the Chia to stick to the filet, then try just a touch of Eggbeaters or Egg whites to coat the fish first, adds almost no calories. That's what I eat. Then again, I also love shellfish, but you can't have that. If you can find it in your stores, Rainbow Trout is excellent. I used to catch and eat fresh, but still not bad in the stores.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Tuna or Mahi Mahi....two of my favorites!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can eat trout if you're allergic to salmon (it's also a salmonid), but I'm mildly allergic to either salmon or the dye they put in it, and I can eat trout with no problems. We eat quite a bit of it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    To those who say halibut, that's a flounder which she doesn't like. Don't know why. It's the nicest fish.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm not sure how you LIKE swai but DON'T LIKE cod. Try it again. That seems quite off to me. Swai is--meh, alright. Cod is --meh, alright. LOL
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yellow Fin or Ahi Tuna. Delish.
    Halibut
    Mahi Mahi
    Chilean Sea Bass
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    To those who say halibut, that's a flounder which she doesn't like. Don't know why. It's the nicest fish.

Halibut is a flounder but not all flounder is a halibut. KWIM? She didn't really specify what she meant by flounder.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    swai is catfish...