Onederland & I want to take on zombies but I need help!

Options
Today I weighed myself and was finally under 200 :bigsmile: It doesn't really count for me though until I can get under 200 with clothes on during the day. I want it to be under 200 not just in the morning when I weigh in but when I go to my doctors to get weighed in!

That said I am still very happy that I am getting closer to my goal! I feel really motivated and I really want to to do a 5 k obstacle course but am afraid that I won't be in shape to do it...they are having a zombie 5 k run in my area in May and I am thinking I am going to sign up for it and train for it the next 6 months. I hope by then I will be down another 35 lbs (give or take).

Any pointers on how to train for it? I've never been a runner except to run to back and forth to the fridge during a commercial break! Haha...just kidding I walked...I didn't want to spill those precious snacks on the way back to the couch. Seriously I need help!

I have been doing an elliptical for the past few months but am still concerned about the knee/ankle pain with a treadmill. I don't have the strongest ankles and I am so overweight I didn't want to over do it on the knees. I tried today to do a treadmill and could do 0 incline and about 4 mph ( more like a brisk walk almost to wear I could jog but was afraid I would fly off :laugh: I am going to start adding some weights to build up the muscles that have been hiding under all this fat. I did about a week of the 30 day shred when I started my weight loss and it was just too much but I am thinking of trying it again.

Any tips or advice would be great!

Replies

• MulberryWithLove
    Options
    Once you have Zombies chasing you, you won't worry about the knee pain!! Lol.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    get fitted for some quality tennis shoes and look at C25K and if it goes to fast for you modify it down to wear you need it
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, you need to train your body for the type of sport you're doing. If you're going to be running a 5k, then an hour of cardio on a bike would be pointless. Sure it would build up cardio conditioning, but as far as muscles go, your legs would get tired too soon. It's all about muscle memory.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Am I right in thinking you have to run a course with folks acting as zombies hot on your heels? If they catch you, do you get infected and turn into a zombie yourself?

God! Scary!!
  • AnissaAndrews
    AnissaAndrews Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Couch to 5K program, and it is not too difficult (and trust me, if I can do it--anyone can!). Speaking of zombies, though! There is a Zombies, Run! 5K app that I tried today, and it was even easier than the C25K program! The full app (Zombies, Run!) is fun because Zombies actually chase you and if you don't run fast enough--the will eat you! As you do the program you earn items and if the Zombies catch you, you will lose them. Check it out!
  • deecapuano
    deecapuano Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K program a while ago. I now run/walk about 3 miles 3-4 days a week. I take a Spin class twice a week and I lift at least twice a week too. I have completed 5 5Ks this year so far. My fist obstacle one was in September. It was the Shape Diva Dash. Next week I am doing the Ruckus 5K. I cannot do all of the obstacles for the Ruckus (gorilla bars are killer) but I will give it my best shot!

Oh and did I mention that I still weigh 236 pounds. Yes I might be faster if I were lighter but my weight does not stop me from participating. Most 5ks do not have time limits and there are more people out there walking them Han ever before!

Go ahead and participate you may really enjoy it!