Best shoe brand for overpronators?

Options
2»

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    For years I used either saucony or new balance...now I use vibrams, guess what...no shin splints, BUT you have to learn to toe-run as I call it, spring off from the ball of your foot, not the heel. I reckon the heel striking causes a lot of running problems...hey I am no expert, this works for me...
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have recently read that new research has shown that shoes designed for over/under pronation might actually make it worse. You should wear what feels comfortable and there can be several reasons for you to set shin splints.
    Here is one article questioning the special shoes:
    http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/pronation-control-paradgim-is-starting.html

I haven't doen extensive research but I suggest you do so before buying super expensive shoes that might make things worse.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm a flat footed over pronator and I love my Mizuno Waves. You can often find last season's models at a discount, that is how I saved over 50% on mine. Like others said though it's definitely a personal preference and you definitely want to get fitted.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My fave is the Brooks Beast. I'm a severe over Pronator. The Brooks Beast has helped me a great deal as i prepare for my first 1/2 marathon in Miami at the end of Jan. I also have the Asics Kanayo. The right shoe will help you so much, good luck with the search

I have a pair of brooks beast as well and love them. They are heavy though...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wear by my Brooks running shoes. I was evaluated by a running store person and they recommended the particular one I wear...have you been evaluated?
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I was evaluated and the store hooked me up with Brooks Addiction. I just bought a new pair, since the previous one worked out so well. Definitely go for a fitting.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I went to the New Balance store and I was recommended to buy the NB 1012. I love them. It's like running on clouds.
  • StrawberrySquirrel
    Options
    I have terrible feet and need a ton of support for my overpronation. I've never been a better, faster, or more comfortable runner than in my REEBOK ZIGTECHS. I sprint and run distance, and these are amazing!
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just dont do adidas..
  • elryn
    elryn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My history is that 2 years ago I started having foot and ankle pain when I was on my feet for more than a couple of hours. There were times when they'd hurt bad enough that I would start limping. I went to a podiatrist and was fitted for custom orthotics, but the week before the orthotics came in I was diagnosed with some tiny tears in the achilles tendon. To avoid a rupture, I had to stop walking at all for a month, then Physical Therapy etc. FWIW, I'm about 45 pounds overweight and I suspect that's a factor for finding a good shoe.

The solution was custom orthotics for overpronation, put in neutral running shoes (the running store experts explained that when have orthotics need to have neutral shoes). I wore Brooks Ghost 5 for months and they were pretty good but the ball of my feet would get sore on days where I walked more than 6000 steps. I went back to the running store and switched to Asics Cumlus 14 - which have more cushioning but have plenty of support. They have been great! I can go 15000 steps in a day and my feet will be fine. I've had the Asics for 3 months now. I sometimes run/walk and they've been good for that also.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I do the same thing and have aaawful shin splints. I went to a running store where they watched me run on a treadmill and offered three different shoes... ended up going with a pair of Brooks.
    Don't forget to tape and ice your shins!
  • fat2fit111
    Options
    I havent read all rthe other replys so someone may have already suggested this but have you been to a podiatrist??, i over pronate something shocking, so have inserts which were made from a cast of my foot (really expensive but so worth it as theyre plastic and wont wear down), since i had that done i haqvent had any issues with shin splints or sore knees, i also find asics shoes great.
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is for long distance running + Low arch + flat feet:
    Asics Kayano does wonders for me. I do not even want to buy any other shoe for my long distance running.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Asics asics asics!!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm also over pronate and went to a running store and got fitted. I tried on lots of different pairs and ended up with Mizuno alchemy's - I'm on my 4th pair. I love them and have found I have less pain. I'm signed up for my first half-marathon in Feb so the next few months will really be the test.
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used New Balance for a long time, but the lighter and more active I got I found Brooks to be more comfortable. BUT last time I bought shoes and I thought I'd never own a pair..... I got Nikes. They were so much more comfortable than the Brooks. I need a big toe box and they have all been narrow in the past. Well, these say Flywire on the sides and so comfortable. Only thing I thought they were butt ugly. Then are gray with pink highlights. Comfort won out over looks.

Really?? I tried Nike a long while back. They seemed very narrow and tight in the toe box. I figured the last they were made on was more for people with "perfect" feet, not mine. That was a long while back. Maybe they have changed their last. I always preferred New Balance because of the toe box, and they have several pair that help with pronation. I also like Asics, although they have a smaller toe box.