Phantom fat and feeling down.

Options
Phantom fat. Sigh.

Anyone else struggling with this? 42lbs lost here, 6lbs away from my goal weight, so close to a healthy BMI but..

I feel fat as hell. I feel disgusting. I feel so ugly.

It's crazy, because although I don't really identify with the person I was before, I still feel like nothing has really changed. That my body is still the fat mess it was before. That I am huge and awkward, greedy and savage. I can feel my hipbones but my stomach is so bloated, it's embarassiing me.

It feels like my clothes are just bigger, but I am still the same.

I'm sorry. It's just, as I get closer to my goal weight, I seem to struggle to keep control and binge. And then I feel fat :( I just want to get to my goal weight and get it over with.

Anybody else dealing with phantom fat?

Replies

• Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You know, I've actually heard a lot of people talk about this same problem. Some people who have lost a lot of weight still have trouble with body image. Maybe speak with a counselor if you have access to one, or talk to someone who has gone through it as well.
    I haven't gone through it personally (yet), but I can tell you that you're definitely not alone!
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel phantom fat often :/

I've been thin most of my life but I'm what they call a skinny fat person. I've never been fit. Therefore even when I weighed less and looked decent in clothes, I hated how I looked in a bathing suit or naked.

Pictures, pictures and pictures help. Look at pictures of where you came from.

Once I started focusing on getting fit and started to see myself becoming less skinny fat and more fit it really made a difference for me. I wasn't happy just being thin, I needed to be fit.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Hiya I'm not a qualified dietitian but have read loads on the subject of changing your body image through resistance training / strength training. There are a number of threads on here, which discuss the subject of dieting alone. In summary diet alone will result in a lighter you but the exact same body shape.

Given your comment:

"It's crazy, because although I don't really identify with the person I was before, I still feel like nothing has really changed. That my body is still the fat mess it was before. That I am huge and awkward, greedy and savage. I can feel my hipbones but my stomach is so bloated, it's embarrassing me. " There maybe some value to this.

Resistance training / strength training may not be your thing however everything is worth a try. You've come so far and lost so much weight, so maybe it's worth a go. Resistance training / strength training will sculpt your body and will definitely get rid of your stomach.

I'll end how I started - I'm not a qualified dietitian however resistance training / strength training works as many have testified here on MFP.

I hope this helps.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I do recommend strength training--it changes your body in so many ways. Feeling strong and having goals unrelated to weight is empowering. I recommend Starting Strength --google it. Or The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Strength training is definitely the way to go. Take pictures and compare from week to week, or month to month.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It is so true that we get used to being fat and no matter what, when we look in the mirror we still see fat. Total bummer. I am wearing a size small now and I still see fat in the mirror...I try to ignore that as best I can. :wink:

Maybe, if it affects you so much, you should seek a counselor who specializes in this. It can't hurt to have a professional to talk to about this.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, everyone. It is much appreciated.

I know about the benefits of strength training, but this is more psychological. It's about how I feel inside, and my perception of myself. That's what I need help with.