Building new eating and exercise habits - at 61

Options
I am looking for some friends and companions for this weight loss trek. I have belonged to MFP for a while, but not really used it steadily for an extended period. Now I'm ready in many ways to really commit to changing my ways. It certainly seems harder to lose weight as I get older. (Not that it's easy when you're young!) Let's cheer each other on and share the ups and downs. Please let me know if you'd like to be friends on this.

Replies

• KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started the same thing at 63 a couple of months ago after a few years of yoyo dieting. Good luck, and feel free to add me
  • revclev
    Options
    I will turn 62 the end of December, and have struggled with weight for more years than I can even remember. This has been working extremely well for me. I would be glad to share encouragement with others as we journey through this together. Please feel free to add me to your list of friends.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I hearya. Thought it would be impossible to change my ways in my late 40's but finally succeeded. Some of it was forced on me by my health deteriorating so badly - and finding out that gluten and dairy were the main culprits. Once I found myself succeeding in losing weight and getting healthier though, I no longer wanted anything to do with "poisonous" foods that mess me up. I'm very happy with my healthier habits, both in diet and exercise, and my body shows the results. Hang in there! =)
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I won't wish you luck, but I will wish you strength, fortitude, curiosity, honesty, friendship and support as you start this journey. Changing for the better can sometimes mean facing hard truths about the hows and whys of your current status and deciding what you are willing to change to make improvements, learning to work differently with the things you aren't willing to change and taking a bit of time to educate yourself on nutrition and exercise matters!

Here's to you for taking the first steps, sometimes they're the hardest! :drinker:
    ~Namaste
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I hear you. If you like friend me. MFP Is the right tool for me. I need the way to track and it's do easy with the phone app.
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi. Also 61 and been a lurker on MFP for a while as well. Working hard to move more and eat less and not "reward" myself with food or stress eat. It does seem harder to lose weight with age, and it especially shows around the middle. Would enjoy sharing this journey with you. There's a group for over 50's, how 'bout a group for over 60's?:flowerforyou:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, 70 next year, this mfp calorie count works well for me so far. I log daily, along with Keith above
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wendy,

I just looked at your previous posts, and noted your comment about keeping a food diary, which seemed to be in the someday category. It is the most productive thing I've done to improve my health, and I'm here to tell you how much it encourages me and holds me accountable. I use the iphone app, which is very convenient since in always have my phone nearby, and I don't forget to enter what I've eaten, or gloss over things that just happened into my mouth. The app also has access to the foods database and does the calculation math for me. I notice they also have an android app and I assume it has the same functions. These apps take a lot of the hassle out of keeping track of calories. Doing the record keeping through the website would also be productive, if not quite as convenient.
  • seconner4
    Options
    This looks like the strand to jump on board. I am 53 and 5'2 and 145. Oh my! How did that happen? My 21 year old daughter introduced me to MFP and when I started tracking the food I was eating, it was obvious how "that" happened! No breakfast, days with no water, 600 calories, and other days with 3000 calories! I don't cook, so I snack dinner, I get no exercise but plenty of stress at work. I need better choices. I am on the way to the grocery store now. Veggies, fruit, yogurt....any other thoughts on good choices to pull it out of the fridge, or throw it in the microwave, and still be healthy choices?
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This looks like the strand to jump on board. I am 53 and 5'2 and 145. Oh my! How did that happen? My 21 year old daughter introduced me to MFP and when I started tracking the food I was eating, it was obvious how "that" happened! No breakfast, days with no water, 600 calories, and other days with 3000 calories! I don't cook, so I snack dinner, I get no exercise but plenty of stress at work. I need better choices. I am on the way to the grocery store now. Veggies, fruit, yogurt....any other thoughts on good choices to pull it out of the fridge, or throw it in the microwave, and still be healthy choices?

I'm 50 and 5'2 and your current weight is my goal weight! I cannot sustain lower weight, but I work out with a personal trainer 3x weekly and my clothing size at 145 is what it was at 135 when I was younger ....so I will be content with that.
  • jan4jesus2
    jan4jesus2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wendy,
    I have just started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and this is the first time I've actually done any posting. I am 60 and have yo-yo 'dieted' all my life. My goal is to do the same thing you are doing. I would love give and have encouragement. The more the merrier! Jan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I notice on another thread that many women are talking about how hard it is to lose weight "after menopause," but it seems to me they're talking about during menopause. I'm personally "after" and I seem to lose weight just fine when I eat less. Keeping track is helping teach me a few things. We were both tired and feeling fluey last night so ordered Chinese take-out instead of cooking. When I started logging the calories I discovered how high in calorie content this food really is. I'd never really thought about it before. I'm realizing that I'm overweight because I never thought about too many things until now. Thanks to all of you, I'm actually enjoying this dieting process.:love:
  • pinkflybaby
    pinkflybaby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and 5'2, weighing around 220. My scale needs a battery, and I'm getting it today! I just started on MFP and found this group. I'm in desperate need of motivation and encouragement. I have chronic pain, an artificial knee, and a very cluttered house. When I got married 34 years ago, I was a size 10. When I had my son at age 30, I clocked in at 200 lbs., and it's been a fight ever since to keep the weight off. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1992, and the medicines I am on make it nearly impossible to lose weight. I am desperate to lose weight. It is causing all kinds of problems physically, mentally, and emotionally. I can't find a group that fits my situation perfectly, but I know some of you must struggle with similar difficulties. I also just started FlyLady.com, a housekeeping program, so between the two groups, I pray I effect major changes in my life! There's no time like the present to start!! God bless!
    :flowerforyou:
  • renehallen
    renehallen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am also 61 and also am a former WW loser. Gained a lot back and now I am trying to lose 40 pounds. I find it is much more difficult at this age than it ever was before! Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!