Any other full time moms with full time jobs?

Options
:drinker: Hello :) So I am a full time mommy 24/7 and I also hold a full time job 9:30-6:30pm Tuesday-Saturday luckily I live on site at my job which is convenient but still I don't feel like I have enough time in the day let alone the time to make good food choices. I know it's doable, I know I can make time... I just want to know HOW DO THE REST OF YOU COPE in my situation. & Please feel FREE to add me:flowerforyou: I love to make new friends on here!

Replies

• c_porcayo
    Options
    BUMP^BUMP^BUMP
    Anyone :D
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm the same way. I had a free gym I could go to but they don't have child care...so I was limited to working out M-F 3:30-5:30 if I was lucky. So I went and got a membership at the YMCA here in town. They have child care so that gives me a little more flexibility. I'd give just about anything to be able to wake up early on a Saturday morning and go for a run though!
  • FloridasFinest
    Options
    I'm a full time single mama and employee! Eating healthy is definitely harder when you're always on the go. I tend to keep lots of fruits around that I can grab and go. Apples have been my go to snack lately. FR sent...I love to make new friends too! :happy:
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Hello :) So I am a full time mommy 24/7 and I also hold a full time job 9:30-6:30pm Tuesday-Saturday luckily I live on site at my job which is convenient but still I don't feel like I have enough time in the day let alone the time to make good food choices. I know it's doable, I know I can make time... I just want to know HOW DO THE REST OF YOU COPE in my situation. & Please feel FREE to add me:flowerforyou: I love to make new friends on here!

It was really hard for me at first to I was working a weird shift 1130-2100.... I have to plan out my meals for the day and only keep healthy snacks around... I did almonds, apples, tsp pnut butter all natural, special k bars, craisins, sometimes rice cakes... You just have to find what works for you... Try crock pot recipes to that was a big help to me.... I got a lot of my recipes off of skinny taste....
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation.... I work 7:30-5:00, Monday-Friday and have my kids 24/7. We don't have any family in the area, but I've been very blessed with wonderful friends that help if I need an occasional sanity break. I also have an awesome boss that realizes family comes first. First day and last days of school, I'm always off work. Big milestones, he knows that I won't be there and always makes sure that I don't feel like less of an employee for it. That said, when I leave work, I leave work. I have about a 20 minute drive to get home and use that time to decompress and get ready to put on my "mom" hat because the kids don't deserve my bad day. I make sure to listen to their stories from the day, get them a good meal (most of the time), finish homework and just be there for them. Luckily, my son is old enough to babysit now. This has helped with me being able to get in a little more me time. However, I usually wait until after bed time to leave the house so that they don't miss time with me. Whether it's a trip to the gym, grocery shopping or just heading to the coffee shop. You've got to make time for yourself.
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a FULL TIME SINGLE MAMA.. I work 40 hrs per week and my second job (mommy) starts when I clock out of my paying job. I don't get any free time to myself, except when I'm at work. ahhhhh

But enough about me.. if I can find time, you can too :) You just have to fit it in where you can. I get up 2 hrs before my daughter to exercise and prepare fresh food every morning.. Since it is only me and her it doesn't take long at all to prepare the food. It also didn't come easy, I had to work at it.... sometimes I fail. But you learn and you keep what works and toss what doesn't.

I also will take her to walk with me.. I walk/jog and push her in her stroller or she runs and when she's tired, she gets back in. I had to learn that making it fun for her lets me do my thing and we BOTHare happy.

Hope that helps a little
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I think my profile says it all. I'm a busy mom of 3 and I work full-time outside the home in a high-stress job that is NEVER just 40 hours/week. My salvation was finding a true "family gym" near my home while looking for karate dojos. One price gets us everything, including karate and rock climbing for my kids - plus daycare when I need it. Now, while my son is in karate, I can get a kick butt workout instead of sitting in a chair watching him! I'm fortunate to also have cardio equipment at the office, even though I'm so busy I don't use it regularly. Every now and then I pull out the Wii and do some WiiFit stuff, too.

That doesn't mean I don't slip & slide. Sometimes my schedule means we're eating on the run - and it's not always healthy. Football season about killed my this year - I gained 5lbs back!!!! But I just keep plugging. I have a goal, I just might reach mine a little slower than others. In the meantime, though, I see the positive changes in my family unit and the healthier choices they are all accepting and making :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Right here!! 3 kids (my oldest is 10) and I work 32+hrs a week. Its hard finding time for yourself but you have to do it!! Its the only way to keep some sanity! I get up at 5:00Am...catch the news, get in a workout, have a hot cup of coffee and enjoy quiet time before the kids get up. Its not a lot but its my time :)
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I am too. I work Mon-Fri and unfortunately I live an hour away from work so I am out of the house from 7:50am- 5:50pm.... I have my daughter in afterschool daycare and then I take schooling too... I am way too overwhelmed this term!!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    2 Kids, work way more than 5 days a week, usually 6, sometimes 7. My day starts at 345 am when I wake up so I can be out of the house by 445 am to be at work an hour to hour half drive away depending on traffic and road work. I plan everything extensively.

My job is high on manual labor, so I typically do not exercise either before or after work, I feel I get more than suffient exercise at work.

In case you are curious, I treat wastewater for a living and do all the lab work associated with it.

I get home about 5 pm, then its dinner, relax a bit and get to bed around 8 or 830. Because by then I am usually doing a good impression of the Walking Dead actors.

Priorities. figure them out and do it.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I work monday to friday 8.30-4.30 and have a 3 year old daughter. i plan ALL my food when my little girl goes to bed, i plan day ahead sometimes so i know what i am doing. all my meals need to be easy to cook so i a lot on processed food with mountains of fresh veg cooked in the steamer to get me through. sometimes i dont have inner till 9pm after my little one is fed, bathed and put to bed. in between that i fit in fitness videos and when my husband isnt at work i go to zuba or out for a run. its not easy but doable
  • c_porcayo
    Options
    It is really great to see people in the same situation. Luckily my husband works from home and he is there for child care so that isn't to stressful however, I don't like to leave him home when he to is very into staying in shape. We both don't have much family in washington, and the family I do have isn't capable of watching pets let alone live children (well with that being said) once im off work I am MOM and I make meals, clean up... (not very often) my husband is good about that I just can't find the balance. I feel like my children suffer and maybe I should just wait until they are both older.... or atleast in school My son is 5 yrs old but won't start kinder until next year at 6yrs, and my daughter will be turning 3 in 2013...
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    accept my friends request hunni and ill give u some tips which help me x
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I work full time and have two children. I am naturally an early riser, so I get up early and work out early in the morning before work. I don't cook often and I eat Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, etc. supplemented with fresh and frozen fruits and veggies. My oldest is 13 and youngest is 3. I haven't really been able to work out until this past summer, when my daughter started potty training and just became more independent in general. I'm having good success so far, and definitely the frozen meals make a huge difference.
  • esutka
    esutka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work full time (from home) and have five kids. I'm totally overwhelmed and end up working out between 10pm and midnight. Exhausted, but I am determined to get healthy!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter who is 10 next month. I am a third shift nurse and I work two jobs. One is full time hospital and one is part time long term psychiatric. I sleep when she is at school. I workout as soon as I get home from work, get her off to school, shower, sleep, get up, pack/plan food for the next 24 hours and do it again. I'm also head room parent for her class. She is in hip hop, tumbling, swim, and pom pom so she is busy too! I love my crockpot and I eat lots of fruits (both canned, no sugar added, and fresh) and salads because they are easy. I also eat progresso soups and sandwiches. We can totally do this!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Two children, and a job an hour away, plus travel. My husband luckily takes organization and scheduling to new heights, so somehow we make it to 95% of playdates, school plays, etc... Frankly it doesn't leave much time for social life on our part.

On good weeks I will get up and make it to the gym at work by 6, but I need to have the kids' stuff ready and packed the night before and I am not always awake enough to do that after a long day, making dinner, helping with homework, etc...

Hardest thing ever, I think, is watching what I eat, while getting enough calories into two slender, athletic kids. Sitting there, having finished my Lean Cuisine in minutes, coaxing extra bits into them, and not finishing their leftovers can be torture.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I think the busier you are, the more you get done. My husband is very supportive too, and doesn't expect me to do a lot of things for him. My 13-year-old is pretty independent too. I have always worked (went back to work when my kids were six weeks and seven weeks old) and they have been raised to always fend for themselves to the extent that they can. My son makes his own lunches and I just check to see what he's putting in them and also make sure there are only certain types of food in the house in the first place.

My parents were both students/working parents when I was growing up, so I'm used to seeing a busy, juggling type of lifestyle modeled. I have SAHM friends who make their teenager's lunches and drive them to and from school when there's a school bus available and I actually think you can do your kids a disservice that way. My 13-year-old does these things for himself and even does his own laundry. When kids do more of these things for themselves, it makes it possible for us to do more for ourselves, and teaches the kids important life skills.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am mom to 5 kids (3 are adults and the last two left at home are 14 year olds). I work about 70 hours a week between two jobs and I'm pregnant too. I have no time. I try to squeeze in moments with the kids and make sure that when they want to talk, I listen. One of the kids at home is starting basketball this week and I'll make sure to be at all his home games. I alwasy feel rushed but this is just my life right now. After the baby is born i will quit my first job and just work my second but that is not an option right now as the first job has the health insurance that is covering the birth.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am mom to three kids, ages 14, 11, and 4. Life it hectic! I work full time outside of the home. My husband works second shift, so I am single mom at night. Thankfully, my oldest is old enough to babysit if I need her to. I do manage to get in a work out at least once a day, weather it be at 4:00 in the morning or 4:00 in the afternoon right after work. I need the late afternoons/evenings freed up to take the kids to sports practice, school activities, etc. I do take advantage of the weekends to prepare meals/food for the week. This has been a huge time saver! Friend me for some great support!!