I bought a bag of whole cranberries. Now what?

Options
I just bought them on a whim. I have never cooked with them because I'm used to just buying the delicious kind that slides out of the can in perfect cylinder form. I'm starting to cook with fresh ingredients now, so what are some healthy cranberry recipes I should start with?

Replies

• hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Salads, muffins, dry them, relish with orange zest and juice for Thanksgiving. There's a million ways to use them. Good luck.
  • onrush
    onrush Posts: 25
    Options
    Since they are seasonal make sure you freeze the ones you don't use. They are great in muffins! But especially scones. Enjoy. :)
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    About a cup and a half of cranberries, 1/4 cup orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. Simmer until all the berries pop and create an the mixture thickens. Congrats, you made compote! It's awesome with turkey, chicken and pork (all available in lean cuts with high protein)...pair it with steamed broccoli. Yum! Also, if you chill it, it's really good on a turkey sandwich as a lower calorie spread. I like mine with thick cut deli turkey and havarti cheese.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Cranberries - Sweet, Tart and Delicious

See my MFP blog for pictures and recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx/view/chocolate-covered-cranberries-432148

Yummo!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I was just looking up cranberries ideas! Hopefully people have some great ideas!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bake a sweet potato until it's super soft. Scoop out the insides into a small casserole dish. Add a splash of OJ, as much cinnamon as you like, and a handful of the whole cranberries. Bake uncovered at 400 until the cranberries pop and are soft. Give it a good mixin' and enjoy!!! Tastes like a dessert, but sometimes I eat it for lunch :)
  • scpeach04
    scpeach04 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bake a sweet potato until it's super soft. Scoop out the insides into a small casserole dish. Add a splash of OJ, as much cinnamon as you like, and a handful of the whole cranberries. Bake uncovered at 400 until the cranberries pop and are soft. Give it a good mixin' and enjoy!!! Tastes like a dessert, but sometimes I eat it for lunch :)

Oh my this sounds delish! ;) I'll have to try this! Cranberries are on sale this week and sweet potatoes are a must as to weekly shopping anyway!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I make cranberr, carrot, blueberry muffins all the time :)http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/350/Carrot_Cranberry_Muffins54680.shtml (similar to my recipe)

If all else fails, they freeze well too
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was just looking up cranberries ideas! Hopefully people have some great ideas!

Same here since they're on sale. All these ideas sound great.
  • tlmalbq
    Options
    Freeze them whole- pull out a few to chop and throw into oatmeal. muffins, cookies- anywhere a bit of tart fruit is tasty- especially good sliced thin and brewed along with your tea
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I have used them (frozen) in smoothies.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Eat them raw!