So the Holidays.....And Eating

Options
I'm Southern. We do Thanksgiving and Christmas food in a BIG way down here. Also, I read a few articles (via livestrong.com) that estimate people average anywhere from 3000 to 4500 calories at Thanksgiving dinner (WOAH!).

Out of curiosity, how do you plan on dealing with food on these holidays? Are you taking a 100% free day (no counting, no logging)? Or are you going to "cheat" (hate that term) and just log it? Anyone sticking to your goals and not indulging?

Long term MFPers: how have you managed these holidays in the past?

Personally, I think I'm going to try to indulge in moderation (if that's a thing? lol)....and log as best I can. :drinker:

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    if you invite me over for dinner i will personally show you how to eat all those southern goodies through the holidays...

i plan on dealing with it just like i deal with parties or bbq's or any other outing... i will probaby just have a small taste of everything i like leave a little room for dessert and stay away from the empty calories of punch and cider and any other sweetened beverage.

then the next day i will wake up and hit the gym hard like i do any other day.

plus to be honest my stomach can't pack it away like it use to when i was younger or when i had poorer eating habits. 2 beers and i am bloated and anything more than one plate of food and my stomach is knocking for the bathroom

saw something on tv the other day that said the average person eat a 3300 calorie meal on thanksgiving...
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I just typed a blog post about this topic this morning! Because here in Canada we already had Thanksgiving, I posted some of my tips and how to recover from the holidays. Feel free to check it out!
  • BadgerSensei
    BadgerSensei Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally? I just relax and enjoy myself most of the time at these things. It's a day for guilt free indulgence, imo-- but even, then, I find there are a lot of things, like pop, that I used to crave and now don't care about.
    Your mileage may vary here, but I find whatever weight I put on over one or two days of holiday eating (Holidays are typically three hours from here, so there's a day or two where I'm off diet) comes off really quite easily afterwards.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm going to mostly eat what I want through the holidays but I'm going to keep logging.
    From October to February every stinking year I gain about 20 pounds and spend all summer trying to get it off.
    That is NOT happening this year. Or ever again for that matter if I have to log every bite I eat for the rest of my life.

I am so sick of it.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i deff wont be counting cals on christmas day i been realy good with my eating and i really dont think a day or 2 will hurt to much as long as i dont go over board and carry on eating when i am full
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm eating whatever I want. At this point it doesn't take much for me to be full so I doubt it will even be close to what I used to eat anyways
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My plan is to get my butt to the gym every day the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas and get in serious workouts. I generally eat back most of my exercise calories, but I may take it easy those days. Then I won't feel guilty at all eating a big fabulous Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. I'm also running a 5k Thanksgiving morning. :)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm eating whatever I want. At this point it doesn't take much for me to be full so I doubt it will even be close to what I used to eat anyways

This. Even when I tell myself "self, you can eat whatever you want and as much as you want", I can't eat like I used to. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. :)
  • bluered3038
    bluered3038 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I won't be counting Between Thanksgiving and the New Year. I am going to try to hold my own on weight or allow myself to gain a couple of pounds. Not only will there be big dinners, but it is candy making and bread baking time.
    I learned at Weight Watchers once that you need to choose what you want to do during the holidays---lose, stay the same or allow a gain and then not stress over it.
    I also know that I don't eat as much as I used to and will only choose my favorited. I personally can't wait till thanksgiving for dressing and noodles----YUM
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

And this. Even if I let myself go crazy, I'm pretty much just unable to eat like I used to.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to ramp up my running during the holiday season in preparation for all the holiday eating. As far as Thanksgiving, there's always Turkey Trots. Great way to burn some of the calories before you even consume them.

I'll be on vacation over Christmas anyways so I'll be away from all the sweets but I will have to contend with restaurant food for almost two weeks.
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I log everything so the holidays are no different, however since i know what I will be eating I try to eat lightly in the morning and have a small snack for lunch. I drink a lot of water too.

On Easter [this year] I samlped a little bit of everything [in a circle on my plate] once it was filled i stopped and ate that. If there was something i didn't get to eat, I had planned to put it on my next plate, but since I was full after the first one, I put it on a to go plate for the next day. I waited two hours before having dessert, I put one scoop of my fav desserts on one plate [3 different cakes] and ate one each day. For the firsr time I left my aunt's house feeling satisfied, not stuffed :happy:

I plan to do the same at Thanksgiving and Christmas.....Christmas will be a little tougher because I split the holiday and eat twice [with my dad's side of the family at about 4pm PST then my mom's side of the family later, around 8pm]. Plus I have family dinner Christmas Eve with my dad's in-laws.

If I go over, I'm just going to look past it because I only eat like that 4-5 times a year, not everyday :wink:
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log simply because I'm with my family and there are more important things to do during the holidays. However, I try not to eat a ton. Personally, I try to eat just one helping of dinner (no going back for seconds!!) and I try to eat more turkey and veggies than I do potatoes and other high-carb food. I try not to snack on junk (although this is ridiculously hard as my mother makes the BEST Christmas baking - yes, even better than your mom's!!). What really kills me on the holidays is all the alcohol, but I don't worry about it too much. When I get back home and back into the routine I might have lost a week or two in my goal, but I know that the good times I had during my stay with my family is weeelllll worth it.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    "holidays" will be difficult for me in a different way. This year I just stopped eating dairy, gluten, and wheat and only grassfeed, organic meats. So, I probably wont be able to eat anything at these dinners except off the vegie tray. So, I will have to pack my own meals and bring them or I will starve (plus we travel all thanksgiving week all over to visit family). my husband just found that he is allergic to gluten, wheat, dairy and eggs so I know I will stay away from these things (because he has to as well).

In the years past (pre-allergy issues) I would only allow myself certain treats. Like I can either eat some of the cheesy, bad for me casserole or a big piece of pie, but not both. or if I want all of it, I can only have a few bites (share a piece of pie, two bites of casserole) I think you have to figure out what works for you. You need to enjoy your day but that doesnt mean it needs to "undo" your entire week :D

Good luck everyone!
  • mtdubree
    Options
    I'm just going to have a couple of bites of all my favorite stuff thats about it.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    More exercise around the big eating days is my plan.

And not over eating on the days leading up to the holiday itself.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating with my family WITHOUT going diary-log nuts
    I am going to give myself reasonable portions as to not stuff myself like the bird [like I have done every year]
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, we always go for a walk which is one of my favorite times that day.
    We are omitting some side dishes, and tweaking others.
    I'm going to log everything I eat, and try to have more turkey & less everything else. I don't want to set myself up for a failed day, I would rather plan ahead & have a little of everything instead of an oink fest.
  • mamalopez12
    mamalopez12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My family is Mexican so we dnt do thanksgiving. thank gawd!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    My family always has a crap load of appetizers...and a crap load of alcohol...hello, Wisconsin here. So that's probably the biggest challenge I have to deal with.

This year I think I'm going to eat some veggies and fruit before I go, avoid the appetizers, stick with water, MAYBE ONE drink, clear liquor, though. And I will moderate my ONE portion. Avoid more starchy foods. I think I"ll probably load my plate with veggies, and a little meat and I'll be good. That's my taste preferences anyway.