advice please

Options
So I have been going to the gym for a little over a month now on my own. I have also been trying to find a workout partner but unsuccessful in doing so. Me and my husband moved to this area and don't know anyone near us or that goes to the gym I go too (which is really close to my home). I've asked the club owner and have posted that I am looking for someone. I have even search on here for people near me and sent emails but have yet to hear anything from anyone.

Any suggestions

oh I am on a limited income and thus getting a trainer isnot an option for me

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Maybe posting in your local classifieds or craigslist?

In the mean time enjoy the quite and focus on getting a good workout in!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Craigslist and watch out for wackaloons.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Can ur husband go with u? Have someone to go with you is great. I love the fact that my cousin goes with me. She pushed me to do more.. when I don't want to go and she's there it just pushes me to do more. I wanted my hubby to go with me because I thought it would be good for both of us... he goes with our son which is fine. U could also try to dvd at home. I do both. I do hope this helps
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Craigslist and watch out for wackaloons.

nice thing about my gym is that there are security camaras that are monitored and panic necklace things you can wear
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Be patient? As you continue to meet people and get involved in the community, you'll probably run into someone like-minded to work out with. Meanwhile, there are advantages to working out alone--you only do what you want to do and on your schedule. With or without a workout buddy, enjoy yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Can ur husband go with u? Have someone to go with you is great. I love the fact that my cousin goes with me. She pushed me to do more.. when I don't want to go and she's there it just pushes me to do more. I wanted my hubby to go with me because I thought it would be good for both of us... he goes with our son which is fine. U could also try to dvd at home. I do both. I do hope this helps

Tried that and he doesn't have any ambition or motivation to go. While I have dvds that I could do at home I find it much easier to push that aside and do other things that need to be done...housework, class work etc (I'm in grad school)
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If the gym offers some classes try one or two - you may find a buddy there, or, find someone here on MFP who you can buddy with and just report to each other through messaging. Good Luck
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There are "group" websites you can search in your area. meetup.com is one. It's not necessarily fitness oriented but you never know what you might find. Lol @ using craigslist...I'd be cautious of anyone I met through there. What ever you do, don't go using the personals section.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    There are "group" websites you can search in your area. meetup.com is one. It's not necessarily fitness oriented but you never know what you might find. Lol @ using craigslist...I'd be cautious of anyone I met through there. What ever you do, don't go using the personals section.

I actually started a meetup group on meetup and posted but no takers. I also posted to one that lists county I live in and no takers
  • susanfisher
    susanfisher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We live close to each other but not close enough.. Feel free to add me and we can help each other on mfp.
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    classes at the gym are a good alternative to working out alone ...there are great classes at my gym..i always work out alone ..the times i haven't if the other person gets demotivated its easier for me to find an excuse not to go..so when i used to work out with the guys i worked with i would see the work out with them as a bonus work out rather than something i relyed on..
  • truddy6647
    Options
    classes at the gym are a good alternative to working out alone ...there are great classes at my gym..i always work out alone ..the times i haven't if the other person gets demotivated its easier for me to find an excuse not to go..so when i used to work out with the guys i worked with i would see the work out with them as a bonus work out rather than something i relyed on..

I understand, but I also know that I work out harder when someone is there with me rather than by myself.

As far as classes go the gym I go to is a small gym and doesnot offer classes. I have been looking into some yoga classes at a local place but right now they only offer the class during a time in which I am in class plus I also have to watch cost of things too. Me and my hubby live in a fixed income right now
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey Truddy, just checked and we live about 2 hrs. from each other - or an hour from where I work, LOL Too bad we weren't closer, I could use a workout partner too.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hon, these people are offering advice and you're just not taking :/ I'm not sure what you want.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Hon, these people are offering advice and you're just not taking :/ I'm not sure what you want.

I guess I am looking at this differently than you. And there was one person who suggested craigslist and I did not say that I was not going to do that. In any case I look at what I said as being honest with myself and others. I guess I could have put in the first post what all I have tried and what I know won't work for me and started off that way but I didn't. all that being said I thought I would ask because you never know someone may have something that I had not tried (ie craigslist) or someone from my area may have read this and stated that they would be willing to work out with me.
  • truddy6647
    Options
    Hey Truddy, just checked and we live about 2 hrs. from each other - or an hour from where I work, LOL Too bad we weren't closer, I could use a workout partner too.

I could look you up when we go up that way for holidays. My husbands family and mine is near grand blanc