Favouite lower sodium recipes?

Options
Anyone have any lower sodium recipes they'd like to share?

Replies

• PTink
    Options
    I'm interested in this too.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    albondigas soup

1/2 pound ground chuck
    1/2 onion-minced
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1/4 cup instant rice-uncooked
    1 egg
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 ounces chopped green chiles-canned, drained
    1 carrot-shredded
    14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes-canned
    4 cups hot water
    2 cups lowfat beef broth-or water
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley-or cilantro

In a bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, rice, egg, salt and pepper to taste. Form 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Place chilies and shredded carrots in bottom of slow cooker. Spoon tomatoes evenly on top. Place meatballs on top of tomatoes. Pour in water, broth, oregano and parsley or cilanto. Cover and cook on low 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Garnish this popular Mexican soup with sprigs of fresh cilanto or mint, and serve with flour tortillas.

Per Serving (1 cup) 121 calories, 7 g total fat; 7g protein; 9g carbohydrate, 45 mg cholesterol; 48mg sodium. When you go to add this to your diary type in albondigas and use the weight watcher one and the calories will show correctly for this recipie. I'm not a soup person but my husband loved it so enjoy
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use Mortons Lite Salt for everything but popcorn. If you use it, you get 1/2 sodium and 1/2 potassium. Potassium helps you keep off water weight.
  • leska1216
    Options
    I don't use salt or add salt to anything. Same for white sugar. Do like Demerera Sugar on oatmeal, cream of wheat, breakfast rice. When cooking I use fresh from the garden herbs and lots of garlic.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I typically modify all recipes by using as few canned goods as possible. If I do use canned items (usually it's beans or tomatoes), I buy the lower sodium kind if available, otherwise I drain them very well and rinse them thoroughly. I don't add salt to anything. I cut the cheese in recipes about in half as it has a lot of sodium. I buy low sodium broth and frozen veggies or use fresh. Hope these ideas help!
  • phoenikia
    phoenikia Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the recipe links, as well as the ideas.

I also try to use less canned goods when possible, and rinse my canned beans under running water.