How Long?

Options
I have been at this for roughly 7 weeks and have only lost a pound. My first couple weeks I was using the settings MFP set and was only taking in 1200 calories. After reading multiple post about where you should set your calories, I customized mine to 1296. I know not much more, however, I came up with this amount by figuring my TDEE and taking 500 off of that. I also generally eat majority of my exercise calories back (I try to move as much as possible but I do have a desk job).

I’m currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, with 17 days under my belt. I taped myself at the beginning then checked again on day 16……a little more than 6 inch’s down total. I’m very pleased with this, but I would like to see the scale move, at least a little. So my question is; how long should you stay eating a certain calorie amount before changing that amount when you’re not seeing any movement on the scale?

Also, any suggestions on what my calorie value should be in order to be successful would be wonderful! I’m 5’5”, 155 and I have a desk job.

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael recommends switching up your daily calorie intake to keep your body guessing. It gets used to one level and resets itself to adjust to that calorie intake. She recommends alternating 1500 calories 3 days a wk. and 1200 calories 4 days a wk. I found that it does work.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael recommends switching up your daily calorie intake to keep your body guessing. It gets used to one level and resets itself to adjust to that calorie intake. She recommends alternating 1500 calories 3 days a wk. and 1200 calories 4 days a wk. I found that it does work.

Really interesting you wrote this (and sorry for the thread hijack) but I'd been the same weight for two months until last week when I accidentally ate an extra 300 calories 3 days in a row. Only realised the overeat today but maybe that's what broke my plateau! Either way I'm down over 4lb (YAY!)
  • mzgafford
    mzgafford Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow that is good to know! I will try it out! And I really want to try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have gone as long as 9 weeks with no weight loss at all. I did however see 5 inches drop off my waist. You may not see the scale move as you gain muscle. There was a thread on here yesterday with a person that lost weight then gained muscle to weigh the same but was much more cut and muscular. Remember fat takes up 3 times as much volume in size as muscle. Stick to your plan maybe play with the amount of calories a bit here and there. I wish you luck.
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts. :happy: I am feeling stronger and I can tell that I am building muscle, wahooo I really do think that's great, but I just find it hard to believe that I would gain muscle at nearly the exact same rate I'm losing fat. And I do realize that getting rid of those inches is a big deal, but I just find it weird that I'm not seeing any of my hard work on the scale. I also do understand it’s not about the scale, my clothes are fitting looser, and I love that feeling. I just want some help to know if I’m doing something wrong so I can change it and hopefully get the results there as well.