is 1200 calories not enough?

Options
so i started MFP like a month ago, and it recommended that my daily calorie intake should be 1200, i am 5'3 and i still have about 15 pounds to lose, i was just wondering if this is too low for me, should i up my calorie intake by 200? i exercise 6 days a week, cardio 3 times a week

Replies

• DaoneandonlyMe
    DaoneandonlyMe Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I misread. NM
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I would suggest some research to find what works for you. There are groups here that are helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That's just the base amount to keep your body functioning even if you stayed in bed all day and didn't move a muscle to require any extra calorie burn. If you are exercising that much, log it all on your exercise tab and it will add to your allowance for the day however many calories you exercise off. If you want a higher base amount, try upping your activity level in your profile settings. If you want to raise it because you're ravenously hungry on the low amount, sure, try raising it a little at a time until you find the point at which you can comfortably sustain your weight loss and not feel overly deprived either so it is sustainable. The numbers they give you are only estimates anyway -- and as for me, I am 5' 2" (when my bad knee would extend fully) and I start with 1200 and add anywhere from 250-600 calories exercise per day so I generally have an allowance for somewhere between 1500 and 1800 calories. But I rarely eat them all because I've found that 1400 is my limit for maintaining weight loss. If I go over that, I gain even if MFP says I shouldn't because of the exercise. That's how it works for me so I shoot for 1200-1400 most days. But you will get all kinds of conflicting opinions as to what is the "right" way to do this....you have to just take it for what it's worth but with a grain of salt and do what works for you without worrying about everyone else's opinion.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing :-) Some days it seems just fine but I find that when I exercise I am noticeably more hungry and tired if I don't eat a bit more than the 1200. I also think that there are many days when eating at a deficit catches up to me. I was asking some friends and they have had to play with their numbers a bit to find out what works best. They have also customized their macros in accordance to upping their cals. If you are lifting heavy, it sounds like you should definitely be eating more than the 1200 and a good amt should be protein on the days that you lift. So many variables :-S I hope you find a happy medium!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I also have been or this website for about a month...............and have became semi professional weightwatcher already..........in my semi professional opinion..............you're doing just fine. You have a low cal diet because you are a small. I know ppl that are a lot bigger and have the same cal intake. remember, when you exercise............you get to eat more, it's like a Von's rewards card.....the more you shop, the more you save!

get em tiger!
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    think i might up my calorie to 1400, so i dont go to bed hungry! thanks for all the advice/comments guys, appreciate it
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tinagn, you are the same height as me and I started out with the 1200 calorie goal. I did find I was tired a lot plus got fed up adding every time I walked the dog or any little bit of exercise. I now eat between 1500-1700 and feel much better but I still lose weight every week. I only log exercise but don't eat back the calories unless really hungry.

Edited to add congrats on the weight loss in just a month:flowerforyou:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you eat great quality food and hit your macros then YES!
  • Pedropete123
    Options
    I really think you should eat more. Maybe 200 is a good amount to up it by. Mine was 1900 and i usually have loads left over after my cardio. Pedro x
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling weak or when you are doing your exercises you are feeling tired a lot quicker you may need to increase your calorie intake.
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tinagn, you are the same height as me and I started out with the 1200 calorie goal. I did find I was tired a lot plus got fed up adding every time I walked the dog or any little bit of exercise. I now eat between 1500-1700 and feel much better but I still lose weight every week. I only log exercise but don't eat back the calories unless really hungry.

Edited to add congrats on the weight loss in just a month:flowerforyou:

I think this is exactly what I'm going to start doing! I did get tired of the 1200 calories amount pretty quick too, and ty!
  • Code7526
    Options
    Your goal should be to eat healthy and to teach yourself not to worry about being fat.

Breafast: Big Bowl of oats with milk but no sugar.

Snack: 1 fruit

Lunch: Protein(eggs,skinless chicken,tuna, or chickpeas) + salad

Snack: 1 fruit

Supper: Protein(eggs,skinless chicken, tuna or chickpeas) + dark green vegetables

Drink 2 litres of water a day
    No refined sugar in any form
    No refined carbs